Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:44 AM

468 posts, read 616,416 times

Advertisements

Sydney will still prove popular with migrants, and the importance of decentralisation of Australia might see more of them settle in cities other than the big two (Adelaide, Perth, Hobart, Ballarat, Canberra, Townsville, Mount Isa etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM

570 posts, read 508,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Sydney will still prove popular with migrants, and the importance of decentralisation of Australia might see more of them settle in cities other than the big two (Adelaide, Perth, Hobart, Ballarat, Canberra, Townsville, Mount Isa etc).
Most of international arrivals come to Sydney. I read somewhere that Melbourne’s population is growing more than Sydney’s because a lot of Sydneysiders are actually migrating to Melbourne because of the lower cost of housing and transport. I just checked prices to rent in popular suburbs of Melbourne such as Fitzroy and Carlton and they are definitely more affordable than places like Surry Hills and Paddington. Same with public transport. Especially for students, that make a big difference. If only Melbourne would have a more stable weather ;(

Old 05-16-2020, 02:23 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Most of international arrivals come to Sydney. I read somewhere that Melbourne’s population is growing more than Sydney’s because a lot of Sydneysiders are actually migrating to Melbourne because of the lower cost of housing and transport. I just checked prices to rent in popular suburbs of Melbourne such as Fitzroy and Carlton and they are definitely more affordable than places like Surry Hills and Paddington. Same with public transport. Especially for students, that make a big difference. If only Melbourne would have a more stable weather ;(
These days Melbourne actually gets more immigrants as well. This is the latese abs release on the matter. Brisbane actually picks up most of the internal migrants.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/3218.0

Old 05-16-2020, 06:22 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
I don't think that by having a bigger population, Melbourne will automatically become the global city of Australia. Melbourne is set to overtake Sydney's population, but Sydney continues to be the major economic hub of Australia (holding the majority of international HQs in Australia), and tourist destination.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, Melbourne has growing pains but still has a lot of liveable and affordable suburbs. It's a great place to live and will continue to be so with improved infrastructure.
Sydney will still remain Australia's tourist magnet. It's landmarks and natural surroundings surpass those of Melbourne quite a bit. When thinking of Aussie landmarks, the first things that come to mind are the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:14 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
I agree with above. Internationally there is nowhere within Australia more known than Sydney. It is an icon. As such it will likely always capture the lion's share of tourism.

Melbourne on the other hand seems to have taken over as the migrant preferred destination. It is the main point of arrival for the largest components from The Sub Continent. Besides cost factors, being cheaper than Sydney, there is the push/pull factor as well to be considered. That refers to the more numerate a migrant group is the more likely it is to attract further migrants from that region.
Melbourne is the preferred destination for those not only from India, but Nepal and Sri Lanka.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:31 AM

284 posts, read 331,313 times
If Melbourne does overtake Sydney in population, and it can close the gap economically (there's still a large gap between the two economically), I guess it'll be more like a Sao Paolo - Rio de Janeiro dynamic between the two. Afaik Sao Paolo's the population and economic centre but Rio's still the city that draws the most international attention simply because it's more iconic.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 PM

570 posts, read 508,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
If Melbourne does overtake Sydney in population, and it can close the gap economically (there's still a large gap between the two economically), I guess it'll be more like a Sao Paolo - Rio de Janeiro dynamic between the two. Afaik Sao Paolo's the population and economic centre but Rio's still the city that draws the most international attention simply because it's more iconic.
Exactly, or Madrid and Barcelona. Cape Town and Johannesburg.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:30 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,512 times
Quote:
I often feel the same about Melbourne but i always have to stop and remind myself: there are palms in Melbourne. How bad could the winter be? I think a lot better than northern U.S., Canada, and European cites.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:47 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I often feel the same about Melbourne but i always have to stop and remind myself: there are palms in Melbourne. How bad could the winter be? I think a lot better than northern U.S., Canada, and European cites.
Palm trees are hardier than most people think. I've seen them growing in the UK.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:00 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Yes, Melbourne’s climate is a lot less harsh than those found in Canada and the northern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand