Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah, sure we do. It's called 'soft-drink' here though. Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Fanta, various Schweppe's flavours and other ones you've never heard of. Just no proper Root Beer. Just something oddly named "Sars" (short for Sarsparilla, I guess) but weirdly medicinal-tasting, not to mention the unappealing, rather frightening, name. Not very popular, understandably.
What was all this reminiscing about "Classic Coke" then...
Here they are the same thing; "New Coke" died within 1-2 years here back in the 1980's.

"Sars"?
Nobody would want to check out a drink named that here.
(Toronto was infamous for S.A.R.S. back a few years ago )

An unsually soda-pop is Italian "Brio" (Chinotto?)...
Definitely "ethnic-tasting"... You either like it OR you hate it. (I like it )
Usually find it at pizza restaurants, and our nearby (Italian-owned) grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Yeah we have "Soda-pop". Though we know it as 'Fizzy drink' or 'Soft drink'....or 'Lollywater' if you want to step back a few generations?

All the major international brands are sold here, Coke, Pepsi, Fanta, 7-up, Mountain Dew..etc. Plus some of our own, Like Solo(lemon) and Passiona(passionfruit).
We see it as "soft-drink" on menus, but no one actually says those words.
Just about everyone here calls it "Pop."

Most Americans often call everything "Soda" (bizarre to our ears) or "Coke" (Southerners)
But if I didn't clarify with "soda-pop" I might have just confused everyone.

What would a typical Aussie/Kiwi think if I asked for a "pop"?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
A&W Root Beer can be obtained from a lot of asian grocery stores in Oz. As for the bacon you need to ask for crispy bacon as opposed to the middle rasher (a middle rasher is impossible to find in North American - you can't make a good bacon and egg roll otherwise).
Bacon and egg roll?

Middle rasher?
Is that like "fatback?"
Or is it like "back bacon"? (aka. "peameal bacon", "Canadian bacon")

*I prefer my thin bacon only slightly-crispy; I prefer it when there's still some soft spots left.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What was all this reminiscing about "Classic Coke" then...
Here they are the same thing; "New Coke" died within 1-2 years here back in the 1980's.

"Sars"?
Nobody would want to check out a drink named that here.
(Toronto was infamous for S.A.R.S. back a few years ago )

An unsually soda-pop is Italian "Brio" (Chinotto?)...
Definitely "ethnic-tasting"... You either like it OR you hate it. (I like it )
Usually find it at pizza restaurants, and our nearby (Italian-owned) grocery store.
Sars is just the name of the brand. Its more English but its really the same thing as root beer as its a carbonated drink made from the sarsparilla root. The other brand is Sarsae which is also from Hong Kong.

A middle rasher is basically the back bacon along with the crispy bacon just think of both bits together as one long rasher.

Bacon and egg roll is basically a fried egg, fried bacon with either tomato or bbq sauce on a bun (usually a hamburger bun).

Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Ya know what I really miss for the occasional breakfast, is a decent Huevos Rancheros. Just thought I'd share. It's breakfast time now, and here I sit, bereft. And drooling.
I know what you mean. Only thing you can do is get behind that stove and cook it up yourself. That's how we get our Mexican-fix here.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Bwaaaahhhhh!!!

I thought I found Tim Tams at the Pepperidge Farm outlet store in Maine. It was Tim Tam, sort of.. but made in Indonesia. I've had those Indo made Tim Tams in Thailand.. yuck.. not the same..

Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Bwaaaahhhhh!!!

I thought I found Tim Tams at the Pepperidge Farm outlet store in Maine. It was Tim Tam, sort of.. but made in Indonesia. I've had those Indo made Tim Tams in Thailand.. yuck.. not the same..
Awwwww, poor minibrings! What a drag! We all know how you were so looking forward to Tim Tams.

So sorry it's some cheap knock-off of the real thing. Bummer!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Awwwww, poor minibrings! What a drag! We all know how you were so looking forward to Tim Tams.

So sorry it's some cheap knock-off of the real thing. Bummer!
I know.. I took one bite and I realized it was Indo.. then I looked at the package and sure enough, Made in Indonesia along with "not valid for sale in Australia or New Zealand" !

Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,776 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. Only thing you can do is get behind that stove and cook it up yourself. That's how we get our Mexican-fix here.
Stove??? Ohhhh, that thing we use to heat the apt you mean?? Ok, well at least I know what it is now.
"Cook it up...."...as in..I should do it. Myself. Um....not sure about that one Vichel, but will investigate.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Stove??? Ohhhh, that thing we use to heat the apt you mean?? Ok, well at least I know what it is now.
"Cook it up...."...as in..I should do it. Myself. Um....not sure about that one Vichel, but will investigate.
LOL! Don't tell me, and you use your oven to store things or hide dirty dishes if guests pop by unexpectedly? I remember doing that when I just moved out on my own. The whole "Mum's not there to do everything" hit me like a tonne of bricks, and me with no dishwasher! Not to imply you do the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand