Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:25 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm surprised only at the speed that it happened. 4 races in. Driver new to the team, new crew chief.. It's astounding he won that quickly. And, let's be honest.. He was a threat at the road course as well. Save a pretty boneheaded move, he likely wins that as well. Of course.. Remember that Kyle Busch won in his 4th race, I believe it was when he moved to Gibbs.. That being said.. He was with an established team like Larson.

I don't think anyone doubted Larson's skill. It was always just a matter of how quickly he'd mesh with the team and whether or not all the mess would be a distraction.
I was not surprised he won so fast. He had something to prove and that is a great motivator. Plus the kid is just a darn good driver. While in "exile", he won 46 of 97 dirt races of various types. Although he only won 6 previous times in the Cup with 226 tries, he did finish 2nd nine times and did well at low downforce package tracks like Vegas (4 of his 6 victories).

Kyle is a veteran with improved equipment, he's tied for 10th in most wins among active drivers. There are lofty expectations for him. We will see the #5 in victory lane several more times this year and a really good chance at the top 4. I'll be surprised if Kyle doesn't end up being an all time great driver in the Cup series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 09:19 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
I'm surprised only at the speed that it happened. 4 races in. Driver new to the team, new crew chief.. It's astounding he won that quickly. And, let's be honest.. He was a threat at the road course as well. Save a pretty boneheaded move, he likely wins that as well. Of course.. Remember that Kyle Busch won in his 4th race, I believe it was when he moved to Gibbs.. That being said.. He was with an established team like Larson.

Wallace... You know.. He is a good driver. But he's hitting the learning curve that I kinda thought Larson would have some issues with as well. Of course, Larson's with an established team. 23XI.. When you have oil leaks.. Someone didn't do their job right. I wasn't even paying attention.. Where was Wallace running when he pitted for the repairs?

I don't think anyone doubted Larson's skill. It was always just a matter of how quickly he'd mesh with the team and whether or not all the mess would be a distraction.
Indeed! Hendrick as a whole is off to a great start. Who thought Byron and Larson would be the first 2 of the 4 to win.
I found it interesting he thanked Jeff Gordon in his post race interview.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I was not surprised he won so fast. He had something to prove and that is a great motivator. Plus the kid is just a darn good driver. While in "exile", he won 46 of 97 dirt races of various types. Although he only won 6 previous times in the Cup with 226 tries, he did finish 2nd nine times and did well at low downforce package tracks like Vegas (4 of his 6 victories).

Kyle is a veteran with improved equipment, he's tied for 10th in most wins among active drivers. There are lofty expectations for him. We will see the #5 in victory lane several more times this year and a really good chance at the top 4. I'll be surprised if Kyle doesn't end up being an all time great driver in the Cup series.
Agreed.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:21 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I found it interesting he thanked Jeff Gordon in his post race interview.
Gordon is part owner of Hendrick, IIRC.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:30 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I think Jeff does a good job not being biased to his own team that he partly owns, when he's announcing the races.

Many times, Jeff will pick a driver from another team to win even when his drivers are dominating or look very strong. He must be doing a good job because many fans don't realize that Jeff is part of HMS (and most likely the next full owner).

Old 03-10-2021, 03:57 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post

He's the heir apparent. It's fairly well known that when Rick decides to retire, Gordon will be taking over HMS.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
He's the heir apparent. It's fairly well known that when Rick decides to retire, Gordon will be taking over HMS.
And now he has the driver billed as the "Next Jeff Gordon" driving for him... Hendrick is looking pretty good for the forseable future.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:53 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
And now he has the driver billed as the "Next Jeff Gordon" driving for him... Hendrick is looking pretty good for the forseable future.

Billing doesn't matter.. Results do. Kyle is actually showing the results.

Remember, Kenny Irwin was "The next Jeff Gordon" as well.

Remind me, someone.. The 5 car is the remnants of the 48, right? The 48 became the 5. The 24 became the 9.. The 88 became the 48. The 5 became the 24..

That'll give you a headache real quick.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Billing doesn't matter.. Results do. Kyle is actually showing the results.

Remember, Kenny Irwin was "The next Jeff Gordon" as well.

Remind me, someone.. The 5 car is the remnants of the 48, right? The 48 became the 5. The 24 became the 9.. The 88 became the 48. The 5 became the 24..

That'll give you a headache real quick.
I'm dizzy...
Yeah lots of next Jeff Gordons, Kasey Kahne...
I thought I heard Gordon say last week the 48 is still Johnsons old team. Chase inherited Gordons team and just switched numbers.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:09 PM

That one stung... flat out dominated until 8 to go.
Chip Ganasis probably thinking he made a big mistake right abut now.... In private ofcourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing