Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 06:58 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I can only assume this about the 2024 season, and not a rehash of last year?
All the video and story line is from last season by watching the trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 07:05 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,887,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
All the video and story line is from last season by watching the trailer.
I dont see much of a point in watching last seasons events.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I dont see much of a point in watching last seasons events.
Last years F1 series is credited in bringing a bunch of new fans to F1 racing. NASCAR is of course, trying desperately to do the same.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:37 PM

5,175 posts, read 4,949,447 times
Quote:
Last years F1 series is credited in bringing a bunch of new fans to F1 racing. NASCAR is of course, trying desperately to do the same.
Sure, but instead they're loosing their base by doing stuff like The Clash at the Coliseum.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Sure, but instead they're loosing their base by doing stuff like The Clash at the Coliseum.
Instead of trying to improve their product....

No different than the NFL sucking up every minute of the Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift relationship. NASCAR is trying to reach new markets...they say.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:20 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Quote:
Instead of trying to improve their product....

No different than the NFL sucking up every minute of the Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift relationship. NASCAR is trying to reach new markets...they say.
Seems every season we discuss the continuing evolution of NASCAR. It’s might be a poor analogy but much like Harley Davidson’s customer base disappearing as we Boomers get older they as well as NASCAR desperately need to attract a younger generation. We Boomers are fading fast so I might not like the direction NASCAR is headed but they need to save the sport. They need to cultivate the younger generations quickly or they to will soon fade away. NASCAR doesn’t have the luxury of the networks and streaming platforms falling all over themselves to outbid each other for broadcasting rights as the NFL does.

Not quite sure if NASCAR will ever get back to the roaring success they had during the Gordon Earnhardt years though.

Right now I pretty much limit myself to watching the road course races now with Watkins being my favorite.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 02-01-2024 at 05:29 AM..

Old 02-01-2024, 06:23 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Seems every season we discuss the continuing evolution of NASCAR. It’s might be a poor analogy but much like Harley Davidson’s customer base disappearing as we Boomers get older they as well as NASCAR desperately need to attract a younger generation. We Boomers are fading fast so I might not like the direction NASCAR is headed but they need to save the sport. They need to cultivate the younger generations quickly or they to will soon fade away. NASCAR doesn’t have the luxury of the networks and streaming platforms falling all over themselves to outbid each other for broadcasting rights as the NFL does.

Not quite sure if NASCAR will ever get back to the roaring success they had during the Gordon Earnhardt years though.

Right now I pretty much limit myself to watching the road course races now with Watkins being my favorite.
I agree with you, and would add in a couple of other ideas. First, NASCAR evolved from it's "southern roots" of bootleggers racing each other, back in the late 40s-early 50s, as we "boomers" grew up and became interested in cars. "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" became a true marketing phenomenon, both for NASCAR as well as Detroit, and lasted for a long time. But as mentioned, we "boomers" are getting older and/or dying off.

Secondly, NASCAR became very popular because their "product" was the competition between cars that actually could be found, sort of, in any local car dealer's showroom. Today's cars are nowhere near what is being sold to the public, and the true fans know this. In 2024, a "NASCAR spec" race car has as much mechanical similarity to it's supposed "street car" counterpart as an Indy car does. That link has been lost.

And finally, their audience is shrinking. The younger folks today, just aren't as interested in cars, like previous generations were. Therefore, they don't support the racing, simple as that....

Old 02-02-2024, 06:22 AM

It does appear that NASCAR's long term future is rather grim. Yet, NASCAR needs to quickly improve the actual racing on the track quickly or they will lose their audience.

For instance, Denny and a few others, have mentioned that one of the fixes that could help is increasing HP at certain tracks to make passing easier. (Another is tire wear).

Yet NASCAR won't budge on that, because they want to make it attractive for another OEM to enter NASCAR and not all of them can afford the larger engines needed for that HP. Sounds crazy to me.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:39 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
It does appear that NASCAR's long term future is rather grim. Yet, NASCAR needs to quickly improve the actual racing on the track quickly or they will lose their audience.

For instance, Denny and a few others, have mentioned that one of the fixes that could help is increasing HP at certain tracks to make passing easier. (Another is tire wear).

Yet NASCAR won't budge on that, because they want to make it attractive for another OEM to enter NASCAR and not all of them can afford the larger engines needed for that HP. Sounds crazy to me.
Problem with that, is that the cars are already quite fast, and more importantly, aero dependent, in order to stay on the ground. They don't need any cars getting airborne, and launching into the spectator areas. That would be an immediate death knell for the sport, if that ever occurred.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:44 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
I guess I am one of those older fans ready to fade away from NASCAR except for watching the few road courses I still enjoy.

It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks and aero packages, tire packages the scrutiny of cars down to thousands of an inch, team charters and much more just makes me long for the days of old and the simplicity of racing.

Safety has come a long way from from those days and if anything I appreciate about this generation of NASCAR is the lives that have been saved due to technology but it’s a rich man’s sport now for car owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing