Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 01:41 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times

Advertisements

Once again, NASCAR does a disservice to their fans. Other race series race in rain, but NASCAR hasn't made the advance to do so yet, albeit they are taking baby steps in that direction.
I wonder how many fans with tickets for the Daytona 500, or the xfinity race, will have wasted their money because they can't extend their stay in order to attend Monday's race.
I speak from experience, only from losing out on seeing a race in Talledega years ago. Air fare, car rental, over-priced "Special Event Weekend" hotel rates, all for naught when the race was cancelled due to rain. Of course, no refunds on ticket prices. I didn't take the chance to go back down when it was rescheduled for Mothers' Day. Nor have I gambled my money away by traveling somewhere to attend a race. I'll only attend local races.
Bring on the rain tires!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 03:30 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Once again, NASCAR does a disservice to their fans. Other race series race in rain, but NASCAR hasn't made the advance to do so yet, albeit they are taking baby steps in that direction.
I wonder how many fans with tickets for the Daytona 500, or the xfinity race, will have wasted their money because they can't extend their stay in order to attend Monday's race.
I speak from experience, only from losing out on seeing a race in Talledega years ago. Air fare, car rental, over-priced "Special Event Weekend" hotel rates, all for naught when the race was cancelled due to rain. Of course, no refunds on ticket prices. I didn't take the chance to go back down when it was rescheduled for Mothers' Day. Nor have I gambled my money away by traveling somewhere to attend a race. I'll only attend local races.
Bring on the rain tires!
Would you like to go in excess of 100-125 MPH in the rain?

Old 02-18-2024, 08:21 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Would you like to go in excess of 100-125 MPH in the rain?
Outside of the super speedways, drivers don't race around a track full throttle; they adjust their speed to what they hope is the maximum that they can drive without exceeding the laws of physics and spinning out or ending up in the wall. If the track is wet, adjust speed accordingly. Just like they do when they race in the Rolex or Le Mans races.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:01 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Outside of the super speedways, drivers don't race around a track full throttle; they adjust their speed to what they hope is the maximum that they can drive without exceeding the laws of physics and spinning out or ending up in the wall. If the track is wet, adjust speed accordingly. Just like they do when they race in the Rolex or Le Mans races.
Yes, I do understand that, and yes, my main thought was the superspeedways, as it's the Daytona race that is on tap, therefore the race being affected. However, just for grins, think of the added costs of lugging around a second complete set of wheels and tires to the track, for each car, to have on hand, in case it rains. And as a spectator, would you want to sit in the grandstands, in the rain, in order to watch the race?

Last year, I was at the local "half miler", for an asphalt modified show, and out of nowhere, it started to rain heavily. Just getting to our cars in the parking lot, we spectators were soaked. Then we had to endure a 30 minute ride home, soaked to the skin.....

Old 02-19-2024, 05:24 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
I can't remember which road course it was, but it was one of the first big races with the new rain tires. At the time, the cars had no mud flaps and there was so much "rooster tails" that it was hard to see the cars even on TV.

I think its overrated racing in the rain and at a Superspeedway, it would be way too dangerous.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:06 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I can't remember which road course it was, but it was one of the first big races with the new rain tires. At the time, the cars had no mud flaps and there was so much "rooster tails" that it was hard to see the cars even on TV.

I think its overrated racing in the rain and at a Superspeedway, it would be way too dangerous.
I think that was COTA. I was in the stands that day. Complete cluster. Drivers couldn't see the cars in front of them. Spectators couldn't see much of anything. As an F1 fan as well, watching cars drive round at ridiculously slow speeds. No thanks to bringing that to NASCAR.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:46 AM

If you haven't heard already... Xfinity race is now after the 500, starting around 9PM.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I think that was COTA. I was in the stands that day. Complete cluster. Drivers couldn't see the cars in front of them. Spectators couldn't see much of anything. As an F1 fan as well, watching cars drive round at ridiculously slow speeds. No thanks to bringing that to NASCAR.
One of the interesting things that came out of that race was the rain vs slick tires. Drivers liked how the tires wore during that race, allowed for better racing once the rain stopped and before everyone went back to slicks.

Could be something to note to NASCAR and Goodyear for the future.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:59 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Toyotas seem to be the strongest cars overall in racing conditions.. But, they're at a numbers disadvantage. Bit less so this year than in previous years, as the addition of Legacy adds three more cars for this race. So.. 4 JGR cars, 2 23XI and 3 Legacy cars means you have 9 total. Better than the 6 from the past few years.

All depends on how the race shakes out. I mean, I could easily see Logano winning as well. Never bet against Hendrick on a superspeedway.. Same holds true for Childress.

But.. I'll put my money on Martin Truex, Jr. Monday Martin does it again. Just have to see if there's enough Shake Shacks left open for them to go to after winning. It's a JGR tradition dating back to 1993 that the team goes out to Shake Shack on the way home with the trophy after winning the 500.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:01 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
If you haven't heard already... Xfinity race is now after the 500, starting around 9PM.
Just coming to post that. Im hearing now that there is still a good chance of afternoon storms, but hell there always is in florida right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing