Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Go to Canada...... The dealer has to still do the warrenty work. Or tell the dealer you will go to Canada if they don't wipe the fee off the deal.
Untrue. Warranties on Canadian purchased vehicles do not have to be honored n the uS, it depends on the vehicle. Saab Canada would not honor my Saab USA warranty.

Also with a strong Canadian dollar, cars in Canada are much more expensive, which explains why many Canadians buy their cars in the US. Its also common to see US dealerships in border states to have programmes for Canadian residents.

OP:
This extra markup is a common ploy, if you read Consumer Reports. Say no or ask for a vehicle without it. You don't need paint protectorant, etc. as per Consumer Reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
I bought our two trucks thru Costco and paid much below the sticker price.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,350,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Yes, I am in Clark county just north of Portland and have found the asking price for the model I am interested in is about $2000 higher than the asking price in Texas (was just there on vacation). The inventory here is tighter (less selection) and the prices higher so I will travel to buy.
Just looked at the prices of a Subaru dealership in Colorado Springs, their Subaru Impreza base models were priced a good $2000 under what they go for here in Dallas, TX

Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Anyone who pays that is a sucker and being ripped off.

I don't really care what the sticker price is, or any other stickers. They have to accept my offer or I walk. The last 3 new vehicles I have bought were all at least $4,000 under the big window (factory) sticker. Timing is everything, and spending (wasting) their time is a big help. Close the place, start at 5-6pm and haggle until after closing and the finance guy will be on overtime.

Also shop on the last day of the month, especially right after a snow storm when no one has been there for a few days.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,429,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Go to Canada...... The dealer has to still do the warrenty work.

No, they don't. It varies by manufacturer.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Unless its a rare hard to find car its utter b.s, and even then its utter b.s

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I live in Washington state and have been looking around the car lots at new cars. Many dealers(but not all) have a sticker right next to the MSRP sticker called the "adjusted market value". In my area they are adding $1995.00 above the MSRP.
Do you have this in your area? Is this just a negotiating ploy?

It's not uncommon to see this on cars that are very popular models, particularly if the current supply is limited.

The first Miata, 2009 Challengers and 2010 Camaros come to mind.

Once supply reaches demand, the price will come down.

In the mean time, don't even consider bargaining from that inflated price or the MSRP for that matter.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
The other time you see this is when the dealers are running "specials" like no payments for 6 months or $x back to you in a check, etc. All of these deals "require paying posted dealer price and may end up with financing being greater than value".

FWIW, I would never pay it, even on a popular model.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,350,662 times
I don't see the outrage about this though, they're simply following the business model everyone else use, why should the car business be any different?

A Playstation 3 was far more expensive at launch than it is now, and even still, many store will increase the price on it the last 3-4 days before Christmas.

If a dealership has a car on the lot that they know they can get more for than what the company that makes it thinks it's worth, there's no reason why they should give it away, that would be like me selling my used car and accepting the offer I thought was most reasonable, not the highest.

And lastly, why do people put so much time and effort into haggling on cars, which, compared to their value, has very little markup, yet you'll think nothing of spending $100 on office supplies (pens, folders, notebooks..) that has a markup of between 80% and 90%?

It generally does work slightly different in Europe though, where you'll put yourself on a waitinglist, and then some people will buy that spot in the waitinglist from you, but there's no hope in hell on haggling on a car with high demand, goes without saying.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Anyone buying cars in high demand might see a dealer attempting to sell the vehicle for more than MSRP. There is nothing illegal about it as long as the MSRP is available for comparison.

However it is a terrible idea for a buyer to succumb to this. If you are rich, and really need that exotic sports car, go for it. But an ordinary car (even a good one) like a Ford Fusion should not be purchased under those conditions. Choose a different vehicle or buy it somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive