Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times

Advertisements

While I woudn't pay it, either, it's common on popular models in relatively short supply, and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I don't see the outrage about this though, they're simply following the business model everyone else use, why should the car business be any different?

A Playstation 3 was far more expensive at launch than it is now, and even still, many store will increase the price on it the last 3-4 days before Christmas.

If a dealership has a car on the lot that they know they can get more for than what the company that makes it thinks it's worth, there's no reason why they should give it away, that would be like me selling my used car and accepting the offer I thought was most reasonable, not the highest.

And lastly, why do people put so much time and effort into haggling on cars, which, compared to their value, has very little markup, yet you'll think nothing of spending $100 on office supplies (pens, folders, notebooks..) that has a markup of between 80% and 90%?
...is spot on accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Why haggle on office supplies to save a few dollars, when haggling on a car can save thousands?

Percentage doesn't matter one bit in this case. Absolute amounts matter.

You can't haggle on office supplies anyways. Go to Office Max and try to negotiate a better price on paper and pencils. It will be a waste of time.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
I guess the point is, why did we turn car buying into a requirement for haggling, when it's not the case for pretty much any other retail product?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,264,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I guess the point is, why did we turn car buying into a requirement for haggling, when it's not the case for pretty much any other retail product?
i think the car business is just different in that way. you CAN haggle because there is room to haggle. the nature of the sale is not the same as going into a retail store to buy pens or groceries. the sales clerk isnt in any position to squeeze a few extra bucks out of you.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:55 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,350,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why haggle on office supplies to save a few dollars, when haggling on a car can save thousands?

Percentage doesn't matter one bit in this case. Absolute amounts matter.

You can't haggle on office supplies anyways. Go to Office Max and try to negotiate a better price on paper and pencils. It will be a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Merc63 got the point.

Why is it that cars have become the one thing everyone haggles on, yet we gladly go along with other merchandise having markups cars would never have?

The absolute best example would be inkjet printers, where the 9 ml cartridge is sold for about the same price as the store pays for 1L of ink.

I'm not saying not to try and get the best price you can on a car, but I do think car sellers have gotten an unreasonable unfavorable reputation.

I mean I bought about 20 cardboard folders from Staples, the retail on the total was about $60, since my cousin works there I got his employee discount and paid $15 and they still made money on the sale! I buy ink, paper, pens etc. for probably $5-700 a year,(ink for my photo printer has a lot to do with that) it's safe to say that at the very least 75% of that is pure cash in pocket for the seller (so $375-525), I've heard of plenty people (on the forum here alone) who has or would walk out on an otherwise ideal car purchase for much less than that.

...Yet it's the dealerships that rip us off.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,898,855 times
Quote:
Just looked at the prices of a Subaru dealership in Colorado Springs, their Subaru Impreza base models were priced a good $2000 under what they go for here in Dallas, TX

Heuberger, FTW! I'm glad they are only 20 miles from me. I guess if you sell as many Subbies as they do, you can buy them cheaper from the factory. They usually have over 400 new Subarus in stock.

I remember when the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 came out and every dealer in Vegas had a $10k markup on it. LOL.

I will never do business with a dealer that has a market value adjustment printed on the window.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Last VW Honda Volvo dealer i worked for in NH did a lot of warrenty work on Canada bought cars. They didn't like it, but they did it. The customers used USD and that lowered the prices in the exchange rates. Could be different now, everything else is.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,429,181 times
Quote:
Just looked at the prices of a Subaru dealership in Colorado Springs, their Subaru Impreza base models were priced a good $2000 under what they go for here in Dallas, TX

Not sure what you were looking at.

The price on the Colorado Springs site just has the factory rebates figured in, and they have manuals.

In Dallas, they all seem to be auto's, which is $500 more. Other than that, you can get the same deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I guess if you sell as many Subbies as they do, you can buy them cheaper from the factory.

Everyone pays the same price, unless it's a specialty car.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,350,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Not sure what you were looking at.

The price on the Colorado Springs site just has the factory rebates figured in, and they have manuals.

In Dallas, they all seem to be auto's, which is $500 more. Other than that, you can get the same deal.
New 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX For Sale | Plano - Dallas, TX | VIN: JF1GV7E63BG510770

Same car in Colorado Springs is listed with an MSRP a grand below that, and an Internet price approx $2k below, the same is true for the 2.5 models too, and the CS one actually had premium package.

It might just be poor price listing as you suggest, but it certainly makes me want to fly up to Colorado...

Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM

747 posts, read 2,760,272 times
Quote:
I don't see the outrage about this though, they're simply following the business model everyone else use, why should the car business be any different?
While not necessarily an outrage, the idea of paying above MSRP for a mass production car is a joke to me. IMO this will only fool the gullible few while also profiting airlines and out-of-state dealers.

As for why the car business is different, you can hypothesize all you want. But it just is. If the idea of haggling offends you, don't. Personally, I would never pay above market value - and I can only imagine how the gullible victims of the above tactics are going to further raped by humongous doc fees, processing fees, paint protection, simonizing, rust proofing, VIN etching, alarms, added warranties, maintenance plans, high APR financing, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive