Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When Ford dropped the 500 full size nameplate they changed the name to Taurus which was the name of a mid size car no longer produced.
Some of you guys have to keep up.
They brought back the 500 which had been a big seller years ago. They dropped the Taurus which in the end was only being sold to fleets and rental companies, even though for years the Taurus was a best seller. When the 500 wouldn't sell to well and they changed the name to Taurus the car started selling better. From what I read anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Maybe that's how they got to be 'Old People'. They didn't die in auto accidents, in little death trap cars (used to be, car weight was a huge factor in reducing accident deaths/injuries, and long hoods/trunks were the Crumple Zones). And they kept their hearing, because they were in the quietest cars. Too, noise and vibration are negative health factors. Noise and vibration constrict the blood vessels, are a source of Stress... Over decades of driving, the subtle benefits of having a smooth, quiet car would surely add years to a person's life. The big, cushy cars are quiet and smooth.

Plus, huge cars tend to be chosen by stable, responsible people, just as zippy sports cars tend to be chosen by jerks. Stable, responsible people tend to have great health insurance, go to the Dentist every six months, use Dental Floss daily, forgo consumption of Alcoholic beverages, change the batteries in their Smoke Detectors, have their dryer vents cleaned out, have adequate savings, consume balanced meals...

And a lot of huge car owners live out in the boonies (where they are less likely to die in home invasions, or be assaulted just opening the door to check their mail). In rural communities there have traditionally only been Ford and GM dealers. With American cars, size still pretty-much equals safety. If I remember correctly, the enormous '93-'96 Cadillac Fleetwood had a Driver Death Rate one third the national average.

Also, old people tend to want to be somebodies, not nobodies. Big cars have traditionally commanded respect.
Yes this was ceratinly true with my Dad and uncles as by finally becoming able to afford full size Buicks, Oldsmobile and even Caddies, they were able to make a statement of success within the black community during the late 50's to early 1970's. Those big luxo-cars said you had 'arrived' more than literally. Later generations by the 1980's decided that cars like those were silly and cumbersome, as fuel economy, nimble handling and what I like to call 'simulated' horsepower' became the preference in what was smugly considered by yuppies as 'intelligent' cars like Hondas and Volvos.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone, and there may be no real answer to this, but allow me to vent. Why do old people tend to drive the biggest cars?
Another reason may be that they recall how great big old cars bench seating was for drive-in movies

Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Another reason may be that they recall how great big old cars bench seating was for drive-in movies
Hey! One hasn't lived until you've sneaked into the drive-in theater under the folded-down canvas top of a 1959 Ford Fairlane convertible.

The bad thing about convertibles at the drive-ins though was the fact that the Blob could easily get into your car.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 AM

13 posts, read 33,065 times
Older people drive bigger cars because bigger cars are downright luxurious as hell and are the most comfortable. My grandparents have always driven big smooth sedans that could accommodate multiple grandchildren. Once, having a bigger car saved my grandmothers life when she hit a deer.

Older cars are more spacious and you have more room for stuff and people and you don't have to be crammed up against someone.
They are quieter and safer.
And lastly, I will argue that they are just awesome cars. I drove a Buick LeSabre for years, and sure, it's not the sexiest thing out there, but damn if it wasn't a good car. I own a Ford Taurus (not exactly a big car, but more spacious than most, and me being a bigger guy space is important) and even it is just super comfortable and durable and mostly reliable (currently broken down, damn ac compressor) but in the 4 years I've owned it this is the FIRST problem. And come on, anyone who's driven a Lincoln Towncar just knows how buttery smooth it it. Old people know how to live and their choice of vehicles reflect that.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
Older folks like to be able to ride in comfort and not be worn out taking a few trips over 100 miles. I am an older person and even though I would love to have a strong mustang to have some fun in when it comes to taking the wife to florida (500 miles one way) I prefer a big car .

Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,595 times
Consider the number of accidents, the number of red light or stop light accidents, the per cent of auto accidents that involve a side impact, and the intrusion of the side of the vehicle into the passenger space or rear impacts and the intrusion of the vehicle into the passenger space and add the extreme difficulty of older folks to bounce back from any extreme physical injury and then you start to see the big picture.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 PM

408 posts, read 393,681 times
IMO, older folks are more interested in comfort, safety and luxury than in sportiness and performance.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM

358 posts, read 886,941 times
Older people have been maneuvering vehicles into tight parking spaces for 40 or 50 years or more. They have spent more time driving in general. They do not need the maneuverability and tight turning radius you or I might need because they have ore experience than we do in maneuvering a vehicle.

Older people also seem to have learned more patience than younger people. They are not in a hurry, so they have time and patience to spend a few minutes wiggling a large vehicle into a small space.

Older people tend to be very concerned about security and safety. Larger cars are safer, or at least seem safer. Generally the top rated vehicles for safety are the big luxury tubs.

I believe when people age, luxury becomes more important than things like convenience, sportiness, turning radius, etcetera. Who needs a tight turning radius when you have plenty of time to make 3 or 5 or 7 point turns?

Small cars are not comfortable for older people and they do not want to feel crammed into some little can. The spacious feeling is pleasant to them because they tend to spend more time indoors than younger people.

Some older people would like to see younger drivers stop acting like crazy yahoos who think changing lanes constantly on a highway will somehow cause them to arrive at their destination sooner. A big boat car serves much better for playing defensive blocker than some little car.

Those are my guesses.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I must be having a midlife crisis.... I've got a really big car (Dodge Challenger) and a really small car (Nissan Versa).

As long as it's got 4 wheels and goes faster than I can run, I'm a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive