Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times

Advertisements

This is one of those things that's bugged me for a long time, and for the record, I personally try to avoid these circumstances, but anyway ...

Does anyone else think that, at some point when I vehicle is attempting to pull out from a parking spot, that they need to be granted the right-of-way? To my way of looking at it, if the vehicle is already in motion, and I suddenly show up in that lane, then I always stop and let the vehicle continue rather than leaving them stuck in a half-out/half-in position. I'm apalled by how many drivers will just tear down the lane, lay on the horn, and even swerve around the other vehicle. I've vowed that, if I find myself in this position due to the way the parking lot is structured, that I will floor the gas and slam into the other vehicle with no regrets or remorse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Does anyone else think that, at some point when I vehicle is attempting to pull out from a parking spot, that they need to be granted the right-of-way? I'm apalled by how many drivers will just tear down the lane, lay on the horn, and even swerve around the other vehicle. I've vowed that, if I find myself in this position due to the way the parking lot is structured, that I will floor the gas and slam into the other vehicle with no regrets or remorse.
I agree with you about the lack of etiquette and it is very frustrating. It's shocking the way drivers speed through parking lots. I'm surprised more people aren't run over. What a shame.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
If you've never seen "Fried Green Tomato's"...

Fried Green Tomatoes favourite scene1a - YouTube

Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Parking lots are some of the scariest places to drive anymore; whether youre driving through or pulling out, it seems like the "other" car doesn't look at all. And then there are the pedestrians who walk right behind a car that's pulling out between two huge SUVs where the driver cannot see... I have a Prius which is even scarier since it is silent and people can't hear me backing out. Even going 1 MPH and craning my neck, I have some near-misses as cars come flying through without slowing down.

It seems the space between the rows is smaller in addition to there being larger vehicles you cannot see around. I find myself parking as far from the crowded areas as I can.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
This is one of those things that's bugged me for a long time, and for the record, I personally try to avoid these circumstances, but anyway ...

Does anyone else think that, at some point when I vehicle is attempting to pull out from a parking spot, that they need to be granted the right-of-way? To my way of looking at it, if the vehicle is already in motion, and I suddenly show up in that lane, then I always stop and let the vehicle continue rather than leaving them stuck in a half-out/half-in position. I'm apalled by how many drivers will just tear down the lane, lay on the horn, and even swerve around the other vehicle. I've vowed that, if I find myself in this position due to the way the parking lot is structured, that I will floor the gas and slam into the other vehicle with no regrets or remorse.
i agree that parking lot etiquette is severely lacking these days, however your solution will only get you in hot water with you insurance company.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
You're supposed to give right of way to everything when you're in reverse.

But sometimes you can't see because of the cars parked either side of you.

IMHO if I can see the driver of the car reversing (which means they can see me if they bothered to look), before they start to reverse, and they go anyway, then they deserve everything they get.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
In order to keep things consistent parking lot rules are the same as street and driveway rules. The street always has right of way. That being said, once a car is 3/4 out of the spot with wheels already turned then for safety concerns traffic should stop and let that person complete the movement and also yield them room to do so. What peeves me off are people who walk down the middle in a wavy line not following sidewalk rules.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
OP--No it's not just you!

One of my pet peeves is parking in a lot, coming back to find that my vehicle is sandwiched between two SUVs or two vans, and having to back out blindly while other motorists zoom past my rear bumper with just a few inches of clearance--even when my vehicle is already a few feet out of the parking space.

However, I do have a solution that works much of the time.
If I have the ability to drive into a parking space so that I can "front out" of the space, then I do so.

You may have to park a bit further from the store in order to find a space like that, but...trust me...your overall health and your butt will benefit from walking a bit further.
This is also the prime reason why my cars tend to look showroom-new, even after 10 years. No parking lot dings in the doors or fenders!

Some folks will argue that parking this way is illegal. In reality, in a private parking lot, "legality" is not an issue. And, even if it was technically illegal, the reality is that it is FAR safer to be able to exit from a parking space while driving forward (slowly and carefully) than it is to back out of that same space.

I say screw the conventional approach and--whenever possible--park so that you can drive directly out of a parking space, rather than having to back out of the space.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,157 times

Duel at the Mall - YouTube

Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
The video was very amusing, but that entire scenario can be avoided in most cases by simply parking at the far reaches of a parking lot.
However, most people are simply too lazy to take that simple approach to both safety and preserving the condition of their car.

Last edited by Retriever; 03-05-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive