Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I think he means the back rear lights. They look like honey combs.
Gotcha. It just said honeycomb lights and started talking about the front end so I assumed headlights. My mistake. I can't picture what the rear looks like so I'll defer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Ive always liked F-bodies, but you're missing a few cars. You've forgotten about the base Corvette, the Shelby GT500 mustang(as well as lower Shelby models), and I'll even throw in the STi's and Evo's, which they might have a little less power, but they are a more well rounded performance car. In regards to the Porsche though, when comparing the two, who wouldnt take even a Boxster over the WS6? Granted the WS6 should be faster in a straight line, but the Porsche is about way more than straight line speed. The driving experience of the Porsche to the Pontiac is not even comparable.
I didn't mean to include imports in my list but just domestics with the same performance speed, style and affordability.

I included the standard Vette in the list. Of course it's a step up from the WS6. And concerning the Porsche, I just meant straight line. I know that for a 100k it better be more than just about straight line.

I mean if all Americans look for is power, and they don't, why look no further than American muscle from the 90s-early 2000s? Great cars, great style, pure muscle.

No need for imports or Euro luxury.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My problem with performance pontiacs of this era were the nostrils, the multiple nose scoops (some real, some fake) which were the era's version of the screaming chicken of the 1970s. Gaudi!
Agreed. The Pontiac/Chevy interiors of that era were also fairly cheap and chunky in my opinion. The Firebird/Transam/C5 Corvette/Camaro all had junk interiors that belonged in cars costing well below $20k. I guess that was the trade though, you got the beefy drivetrain but they had to cut corners somewhere.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Agreed. The Pontiac/Chevy interiors of that era were also fairly cheap and chunky in my opinion. The Firebird/Transam/C5 Corvette/Camaro all had junk interiors that belonged in cars costing well below $20k. I guess that was the trade though, you got the beefy drivetrain but they had to cut corners somewhere.
I think the point was to make high speed cars pretty affordable to the middle class at the time. The interiors were a bit cheap, but I think the main focus was under the hood.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I didn't mean to include imports in my list but just domestics with the same performance speed, style and affordability.

I included the standard Vette in the list. Of course it's a step up from the WS6. And concerning the Porsche, I just meant straight line. I know that for a 100k it better be more than just about straight line.

I mean if all Americans look for is power, and they don't, why look no further than American muscle from the 90s-early 2000s? Great cars, great style, pure muscle.

No need for imports or Euro luxury.
yeah I just noticed standard beside Z06, my bad.

But the Boxster has never been 100k(I'm not even sure if the Boxster S or Cayman is even 100k). Granted, new, it was more than the WS6, but now the Boxster can be had for cheap.

The reason I kinda moved away from domestics(BTW, I used to have a '87 Formula with the WS6 handling package on it which actually handled pretty well) is because the right import offers everything the WS6(or comparable car) does and more. An STi and Evo can hit 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, they handle better, offer better all weather capabilities, and IMO, are more reliable, and parts arent really any more expensive.

Like I said, dont get me wrong, I still love American muscle(ive owned 2 third Gen F-bodies and 3 '67 Camaros). I would love to have another one to build as a weekend drag car, but for a daily driver, I think some of the cars I mentioned offer more for around the same price.

edit: I remember now you said you didnt include imports for a reason, but this is just my opinion.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
OP, you came here asking for an opinion regarding your vehicle and you have it. Some say cool and other so gaudy. What is the problem with contrasting points of view?

Your car. Your preferences.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
OP, you came here asking for an opinion regarding your vehicle and you have it. Some say cool and other so gaudy. What is the problem with contrasting points of view?

Ive always thought the WS6 was gaudy, but in a cool, aggressive way. Love those nostrils!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
The interiors don't wear very well, the seats have very aggressive bolsters that take lots of abuse and they tend to rip and tear over time. The cars handle pretty well for what they are, especially with that solid axle out back. The styling is a bit on the aggressive side, but I've always thought the 98-02 T/A WS6 cars still looks well thoughout in design execution. Performance wise, the cars were excellent, especially in acceleration at the time of their production. They didn't benefit from the 6.0L engine that was found in later model GTO's, the Corvette, or the Pontiac G8 but this car used first gen LS1 technology to the max. Car and Driver proved the rated horsepower was off, when the corvette was rated at 350 hp, and the WS6 rated at 325...they said the corvette was over rated, and the WS6 was under rated based on the dyno comparison. All in all, I think it's a pretty decent car, that will be remember simply because it was the last of it's kind.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
All in all, I think it's a pretty decent car, that will be remember simply because it was the last of it's kind.
Like the Mohicans, chicks really dig you if you're the last of something. LOL. (Simpsons reference).

Quote:

I am just curious as to what is meant by gaudy? Like it's just too sporty? Too "American" sporty?

They act like it's a lalf restored Chevelle with a huge nostril in the front. The kind you see in the heartland. That's gaudy.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
do explain how you arrived at such an asinine mindset.
Mullet heads aren't usually well educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive