Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Nothing rusts much today. You need to have a car or truck that is 20 years old to have significant rust.

In the past, I represented a lot of construction contractors of different sizes. Many of them experimented with various types of trucks for their workers. They tried Toyota, Ford, GMC/Chevy, Dodge, even Honda. They tracked the overall costs how long the truck lasted, what the employees thought of them (comfort, utility, etc), how many repairs were needed and the cost of those repairs, how often the truck was able or not able to perform a needed task, they track every imaginable metric. Honda was a uniform disaster. Toyota were more expensive in the long run, Dodge had too many small problems. After trying different combinations, pretty much all of them went with Ford for the work site trucks (superintendents) Chevy for management trucks (a little nicer,more popular for comfort and appearance, but less cost effective if subject to heavy use/abuse). Of course that likely changes as models change. I do not know whether anyone is using the new Ford aluminum trucks.

Now I work for a single company. We use mostly Chevy Colorados and Silverados in the field. A few F-150s. The admin/executive employees get Escapes - we have a lot of Escapes (except the higher level execs who get whatever they want up to a certain dollar limit). Unlike many of the contractors I used to represent, we are a comparatively huge company so we contract for large yearly commitments on truck purchases. The brand and model choice heavily depends on who offers the best bargain for a fleet of trucks, so our recent change to Colorados may be because they simply offered a magnificent deal for buying 30 or 100 trucks at once. However I do know the Supers love the Colorados (not sure why). They all scramble to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 02:43 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Nothing rusts much today. You need to have a car or truck that is 20 years old to have significant rust.
You and I have had this conversation before. You may define 'significant rust' differently than I do. Trucks in the rust belt rust almost immediately. Especially GM, Ford, and Ram. Rocker panels, painted bumpers, cab ends, and wheel wells in truck beds. 2-3 years and you have bubbling. Even (or especially) the aluminum painted beds and tailgates on Ford trucks and SUVs. 5 years and you have significant holes. A 10 year old truck has a high likelihood of major frame holes and, if worked hard, may only be held together by the bed resting against the back of the cab. Find me a 20 year old running and drivable Big 3 truck in NE Ohio and I'll be amazed.

Michigan has the exact same issue.

In the west, we have zero issues like this. But then again, no road salt.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 PM

103 posts, read 71,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I agree, Dodge is one of the best, especially after 2009.

2013 has revised hardware, 385hp and 850lbft with new transmissions. Finally able to unleash the Cummins beast with more robust powertrain.
The hemi might be nice with the 8spd trans but doesnt help the can network, or the module/electrical problems. Once you get past those gremlins you move on to misfire due to the dod system annddd your replacing the cam, lifters and the heads are coming off.

And the 6.7 cummins still does have trans issues woth the 68rfe and the Asian trans

Ford or chevy chevy for reliability and ford for overall quality

Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...aign=Truckin#1

This should settle with pickups are the best.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
You and I have had this conversation before. You may define 'significant rust' differently than I do. Trucks in the rust belt rust almost immediately. Especially GM, Ford, and Ram. Rocker panels, painted bumpers, cab ends, and wheel wells in truck beds. 2-3 years and you have bubbling. Even (or especially) the aluminum painted beds and tailgates on Ford trucks and SUVs. 5 years and you have significant holes. A 10 year old truck has a high likelihood of major frame holes and, if worked hard, may only be held together by the bed resting against the back of the cab. Find me a 20 year old running and drivable Big 3 truck in NE Ohio and I'll be amazed.

Michigan has the exact same issue.

In the west, we have zero issues like this. But then again, no road salt.
The problem is you are just wrong. I have posted pictures for you. I can look at my 9 year old Ram truck and see it has not a spec of rust. Zero, none. Except for some scratches from off roading (or tossing logs, dirt or rocks into the bed and missing), it basically look new. I can walk down my street and point out thirty pick ups that are 5-10 years old and have zero rust. I can and did go online for thirty seconds and find a handful of examples of rust free pick ups in the 5-10 year age range. Finding one with rust on it is difficult, unless it is 12-15 or more years old. And I live in one of the saltiest road places around.

BTW, our old 1998 ranger that we traded to a kid is still on the road. It has some rust bubbling up in the inside edges or the fender wells and the rocker panels, but it basically looks new or at least newer. No rust through. It is over 300,000 miles.

I look out my window right now (or any time of day) and I can see at least 3 trucks or vans that are more than 5 years old and have no visible rust on them at all. This concept f everything having massive holes in it or being undriveable is pure imagination.

It is funny, we can stick a non-rusty older pick up right in front of your eyes (or 300 of them or 1500 of them) and you will look at it and claim it does not exist. This is not 1990.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-01-2018 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntd06 View Post
And the 6.7 cummins still does have trans issues woth the 68rfe and the Asian trans

Ford or chevy chevy for reliability and ford for overall quality
The 68RFE only has problems if it isn't maintained properly and isn't serviced on a severe duty schedule (60k miles) with the proper ATF+4 fluid and a good set of filters. If you want a little extra security, you can add the deep trans pan and install an upgraded accumulator plate. The two big killers of the 68RFE are tuned trucks with drivers who have a heavy foot, and a lack of maintenance. Those transmissions are at their power limits in stock form. Adding a tune immediately puts them over.

The "Aisin" AS69RC actually has beefier internals than the Allison 1000 and the Torqshift 6 and it has been known to be extremely reliable in stock form.

I agree that for the entire truck package, Ford has the best overall quality. But the Ram that is coupled with a Cummins 6.7 and either the 68RFE or AS69RC transmission is dead nuts reliable from a mechanical standpoint.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Simple truth is big 3 pickups will always be #1 best seller in the USA, Toyota and the other foreign automakers have come to that conclusion, they will never dethrone the F150 as best selling vehicle in the USA.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The problem is you are just wrong. I have posted pictures for you. I can look at my 9 year old Ram truck and see it has not a spec of rust. Zero, none. Except for some scratches from off roading (or tossing logs, dirt or rocks into the bed and missing), it basically look new. I can walk down my street and point out thirty pick ups that are 5-10 years old and have zero rust. I can and did go online for thirty seconds and find a handful of examples of rust free pick ups in the 5-10 year age range. Finding one with rust on it is difficult, unless it is 12-15 or more years old. And I live in one of the saltiest road places around.

BTW, our old 1998 ranger that we traded to a kid is still on the road. It has some rust bubbling up in the inside edges or the fender wells and the rocker panels, but it basically looks new or at least newer. No rust through. It is over 300,000 miles.

I look out my window right now (or any time of day) and I can see at least 3 trucks or vans that are more than 5 years old and have no visible rust on them at all. This concept f everything having massive holes in it or being undriveable is pure imagination.

It is funny, we can stick a non-rusty older pick up right in front of your eyes (or 300 of them or 1500 of them) and you will look at it and claim it does not exist. This is not 1990.
You are a lucky man. I was at the gas station this morning in Cleveland, Ohio, and except for a brand new King Ranch Super Duty, every single truck had rust on it. You live a charmed life up there in Michigan. Things must have changed significantly since i left Bloomfield Hills 30 years ago.

Last edited by Stonepa; 05-01-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 PM

103 posts, read 71,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The 68RFE only has problems if it isn't maintained properly and isn't serviced on a severe duty schedule (60k miles) with the proper ATF+4 fluid and a good set of filters. If you want a little extra security, you can add the deep trans pan and install an upgraded accumulator plate. The two big killers of the 68RFE are tuned trucks with drivers who have a heavy foot, and a lack of maintenance. Those transmissions are at their power limits in stock form. Adding a tune immediately puts them over.

The "Aisin" AS69RC actually has beefier internals than the Allison 1000 and the Torqshift 6 and it has been known to be extremely reliable in stock form.

I agree that for the entire truck package, Ford has the best overall quality. But the Ram that is coupled with a Cummins 6.7 and either the 68RFE or AS69RC transmission is dead nuts reliable from a mechanical standpoint.
60k on a trans flush you are brave lol. It should be done every 20-30k depending on how and what you do with the truck. Its no so much the hp that grenades the trans its the tq. I read yesterday ford is coming out with a 10spd behind the superduty thats good for 1000ft lbs

Its getting silly with how much power they are teying to pump out of small displacement motors. Most people will never tow 32k ...nor do they have a cdl to do so the 6.7 is a good motor but the 5.9 is more durabile

Old 05-02-2018, 10:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Americans prefer American trucks just like most Americans prefer Honda/Toyota compact cars and Tesla for EV even though Nissan Leaf is a perfectly good EV that doesn't cost a lot. It's just a consumer sentiment thing.

Let's say Toyota and Ford agrees to do badge swaps. A Ford Fusion rebadged as Toyota will outsell the Ford Fusion.

A Toyota Tundra truck rebadged as a Ford will outsell the Toyota Tundra. It has nothing to do with car features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive