Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You haven't checked then. There is no emissions testing in Alabama and never has been. Most people here with diesel trucks remove the equipment to prolong the life of the truck.
That may be well and fine in Alabama but you are definitely ignoring Federal law, which states that these items can't be removed. Especially from diesel trucks, whose particulate matter causes asthma, cancer, and a variety of other things. Not they may have no ability to catch you but it is still a stupid thing to do if you at all care about your fellow citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
You haven't checked then. There is no emissions testing in Alabama and never has been. Most people here with diesel trucks remove the equipment to prolong the life of the truck.
It’s still illegal to tamper with emission equipment. Even if you have no testing.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
It may be, but that would require AL DOT or some other law enforcement official citing or requiring those without it to re-install it. In Alabama, many LEOs drive the same trucks with the same modification. It just isn't a thing here. You could get pulled over for dark window tint but not for a deleted diesel truck.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
That may be well and fine in Alabama but you are definitely ignoring Federal law, which states that these items can't be removed. Especially from diesel trucks, whose particulate matter causes asthma, cancer, and a variety of other things. Not they may have no ability to catch you but it is still a stupid thing to do if you at all care about your fellow citizens.
Let's not get back into that debate again. If everyone was that concerned with fellow citizens they would be driving electric cars that produce zero emissions. I do what needs to be done to prolong the life of the vehicle. Those emissions systems kill diesel engines very quickly, which in turn means plants have to produce more parts to replace the failed ones (so manufacturing plant emissions increase). There's no easy solution.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Let's not get back into that debate again. If everyone was that concerned with fellow citizens they would be driving electric cars that produce zero emissions. I do what needs to be done to prolong the life of the vehicle. Those emissions systems kill diesel engines very quickly, which in turn means plants have to produce more parts to replace the failed ones (so manufacturing plant emissions increase). There's no easy solution.
How is the statement 'kill diesel engines quickly' true? After reading this I called a buddy who runs a large corporate landscaping business. He has 20 Chevy Duramax 3500s in his fleet, plus a bunch of ex-work trucks he uses to haul mulch and junk around his site. He'd never heard of this and he has several with 350k + miles. And he's been running diesels since the early 1980s.

I don't know why I read anything on these forums.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 PM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
Toyota.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
How is the statement 'kill diesel engines quickly' true? After reading this I called a buddy who runs a large corporate landscaping business. He has 20 Chevy Duramax 3500s in his fleet, plus a bunch of ex-work trucks he uses to haul mulch and junk around his site. He'd never heard of this and he has several with 350k + miles. And he's been running diesels since the early 1980s.

I don't know why I read anything on these forums.
I don't either because you don't seem to understand the way a diesel works. I worked with these engines and trucks for years. I have driven a diesel almost my entire life. Despite knocking this thread further off course, since you don't seem to understand what the emission system does on a diesel I'll break it down for you.

First off you need to understand the system and how it works.

The DPF (diesel particulate filter) was designed to remove soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel. It does this by capturing the soot which in turns begins to clog the exhaust. It reduces exhaust flow and decreases fuel economy. Every so often the engine has to perform a regen cycle that ignites fuel in the dpf and burns off the soot. When an engine goes into regen, it creates pressure and blowby inside the engine that pushes diesel fuel into the oil. The diesel fuel decreases lubrication in the engine and accelerates internal wear. If you don't stick to a very strict fluid change regimen you are begging for trouble.

The DPF has a very finite lifespan and is extremely expensive when it fails because it is packed with precious metals.

The catalytic converter works similarly to the dpf. It too clogs, further reduces air flow and fuel economy and has a very finite life and is expensive to replace.

The EGR routes some of the exhaust back through the intake to control combustion temps. It pushes dirty air through the intake which over time can clog the intake and reduce air flow. (Look at the grid heater on a Cummins for example) This dirty air also clogs the turbo and reduces its life. This reduces power, fuel economy, and engine longevity. The EGR honeycomb structure is also known to clog from deposits left from coolant and fail. The EGR is the main reason that so many Powerstrokes had head gasket failures.

Removing this equipment allows the engine to breathe as it was designed to providing clean, cooler air into the engine and allows the exhaust to be expelled with less effort. In the end it increases fuel economy and increases longevity by eliminating regens (which stops fuel from getting into the crankcase and decreasing lubrication).

Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
In our area, go to a parking lot, and you will find that 75% of the vehicles will be Pickups and SUVs. We are big pickup users, all with 4X4 or AWD drove.

At the post office, I saw a Toyota Tundra pickup the other day, and it was the first one I had seen in years. Get away from the coast, and you will rarely see a non big 3 pickup. The one I saw, had a California license so was driven by a tourist.

We do not want Japanese pickups out here, as finding someone to service them is difficult if you have a breakdown. Drive a Ford or Chevrolet, and repair and parts available every where you look.

Remember Ford F-150 is Motor Trend's Truck Of The Year again this year.

My wife and I have a 1999 F-150. Only parts or repair it has ever needed was a new battery every seven years. Runs and looks like a new one.

Our nicer car, is a Ford Explorer Limited with all the bells and whistles. Did have to change he battery this year, as it was, 6 year old model bought late the previous year, so going on 7 years old. Has had normal maintenance over the years, a couple of recalls, and that was all. Looks in brand new condition.

When it comes to SUVs, and Pickups I will go with Ford or Chevy every time, as I have been driving SUVs and Pickups since mid 70s, and have seen where so many people driving a Japanese model as an example breakdown 200 miles from a city where they had a dealer and parts available, and were having to have their vehicle towed to the big city where there was a local dealer. Have also never had a real problem for repair showing their durability and trouble free side of the coin.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In our area, go to a parking lot, and you will find that 75% of the vehicles will be Pickups and SUVs. We are big pickup users, all with 4X4 or AWD drove.

At the post office, I saw a Toyota Tundra pickup the other day, and it was the first one I had seen in years. Get away from the coast, and you will rarely see a non big 3 pickup. The one I saw, had a California license so was driven by a tourist.

We do not want Japanese pickups out here, as finding someone to service them is difficult if you have a breakdown. Drive a Ford or Chevrolet, and repair and parts available every where you look.
That’s not true, Tundras are everywhere across the South, including Texas where they are built. I don’t know about where you live, but here in Alabama it’s not difficult at all to get a Toyota repaired. I own a Tacoma and two Tundras.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I don't either because you don't seem to understand the way a diesel works. I worked with these engines and trucks for years. I have driven a diesel almost my entire life. Despite knocking this thread further off course, since you don't seem to understand what the emission system does on a diesel I'll break it down for you.

First off you need to understand the system and how it works.

The DPF (diesel particulate filter) was designed to remove soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel. It does this by capturing the soot which in turns begins to clog the exhaust. It reduces exhaust flow and decreases fuel economy. Every so often the engine has to perform a regen cycle that ignites fuel in the dpf and burns off the soot. When an engine goes into regen, it creates pressure and blowby inside the engine that pushes diesel fuel into the oil. The diesel fuel decreases lubrication in the engine and accelerates internal wear. If you don't stick to a very strict fluid change regimen you are begging for trouble.

The DPF has a very finite lifespan and is extremely expensive when it fails because it is packed with precious metals.

The catalytic converter works similarly to the dpf. It too clogs, further reduces air flow and fuel economy and has a very finite life and is expensive to replace.

The EGR routes some of the exhaust back through the intake to control combustion temps. It pushes dirty air through the intake which over time can clog the intake and reduce air flow. (Look at the grid heater on a Cummins for example) This dirty air also clogs the turbo and reduces its life. This reduces power, fuel economy, and engine longevity. The EGR honeycomb structure is also known to clog from deposits left from coolant and fail. The EGR is the main reason that so many Powerstrokes had head gasket failures.

Removing this equipment allows the engine to breathe as it was designed to providing clean, cooler air into the engine and allows the exhaust to be expelled with less effort. In the end it increases fuel economy and increases longevity by eliminating regens (which stops fuel from getting into the crankcase and decreasing lubrication).
So, basically, you don't like to maintain your truck. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive