Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes. I'm not in middle school anymore. I recognize the fact that I am constantly exposed to all kinds of unpredictable risks, and there are people out there who fall all over the scale of personal behavior and there always will be, and I am personally responsible for indemnifying myself for any such losses, and maintaining my own emotional equilibrium when they occur. If I were incapable of dealing with the possible harm that can come to my automobile being out in a public place, I'd just have to figure out a way to not leave it out in a public place. You already knew that there are a lot of jerks, and you left your car out there anyway. Did you think you were immune?

Stoicism is a wonderful attribute to cultivate. It will get you through a lot of hard times.
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I understand there are risks, and as I said, this isn't exactly my first ding... but I asked if you would SHRUG IT OFF, as in "feel no anger or resentment whatsoever." Maybe you are extremely unique in your emotions, but I think the majority of humans would be mad about this incident. I didn't say it was a shocker, nor did I say I was incapable of dealing with these things - I only said this person sucks, and most of the other posters here agree.

But you didn't answer my other question, regarding whether or not YOU would leave a note after doing this amount of damage to somebody's car. If you wouldn't, you are as big of a jerk as this person... and if you would leave a note, then you actually do agree with me that it should have been done. Btw, how on earth do you suggest I get to work & park there without leaving my car in a public place? Public transportation isn't an option with my route (it would literally take 3 hours and 2-3 bus transfers to go 18 miles), and it's not like we have private garages for all staff members.

So to summarize: Yes, I realize cars get dinged, and have been dinged more times than I can count over the yeas. But this was more than a small ding, and anyone with a conscience would have left a note - but they didn't, so I was merely expressing my anger over that. Clear enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you have insurance, you can afford it. If you don't, you shouldn't be driving until you do. If the cops give you a hit and run ticket, you will wish that you had left the note. Check what the penalty is for hit and run. In my state, there is possible jail time. It's far cheaper to leave a note than it is to drive off.
It's actually illegal to drive without insurance in my state, and even the minimum coverage will cover something like this (I believe). So yes, it was a hit and run situation, especially given the potential cost of this damage... I'm not sure this is worth filing a police report, but might ask them about it anyway.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm sorry if you thought I was responding rudely. I just found it very ironic that you are (again, rightfully) angry that someone caused damage to your car and then ran off, BUT you were considering upping your insurance coverage now, THEN reporting the damage that you got when you did NOT have that coverage. My company would call that insurance fraud! (Why "if we all agreed that would be considered a false claim"? How can our opinions be the deciding factor? The way you described it, it WOULD be a false claim.)

HOWEVER, maybe you are already covered under some other provision of your policy. The only way to know is to call your insurance company and ask them (you can also ask them if you can add more insurance NOW and then have it retroactively cover the damage that that a**hole driver did ... see what they say to that!).
I wasn't aware that was a "false claim," which is precisely why I asked IS THAT WRONG? I wasn't being facetious, I actually wanted to know if they covered pre-existing damage... you know, like how some health insurance covers pre-existing conditions after a waiting period? But since the response was no, I will not be doing that. I'll call my insurance company on Monday, and let them know exactly what & when happened - and let them guide me on what to do from here.

If anything I was only guilty of ignorance, not of being unlawful or dishonest in that question. I know little about insurance, since (thankfully) I've only had to file one claim... and until a few months ago, I always took the maximum coverage, and thus didn't have to worry about what would or wouldn't be covered. Geez, it's so typical of my luck to get hit in the FIRST year I haven't been fully covered. Murphy should be my name, I swear.

P.S. It was actually a couple of other posters I was referring to as rude, not you.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Did you call the Police anyhow and file a report? That might have been the best move to take first...then you call your insurance company before too much time passes. THEN you don't park where you think you can get run into BY ANYONE...taking the blame for some of this is on your shoulders too...if you love your car as much as you say you do then park it in the NORTH 40 and walk some distance to get into the library or wherever you are going. THINK AHEAD.
This is one of those posters, LOL.

How is ANY of this on my shoulders? Seriously??? I live and work in a dense urban/suburban area, so there is literally nowhere I could park & walk without being near other cars... if you know of any lots or streets that are empty 24/7 in Silicon Valley, by all means, let me know.

Btw, what is the "north 40?" Edit: I also never said I love my car that much, so there you go assuming things again! I actually don't like the car all that much, which is why I mentioned wanting to trade/sell it in the near future. But even if I hated this car with a passion, I still have a right to be mad about somebody hitting & running. No??

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-06-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, what is the "north 40?"

Eh......usually refered to on farms. Like...."the back of the field". The 40 refers to acres.

So he's saying "don't park near people".

Old 10-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Oops..did I highlight your mention of senior citizens who normally don't have great driving skills? What makes you think it could be a senior who hit your car? My car is also full of dings and scratches and I don't believe that it was seniors or perhaps a soccer Mom who could have done it..could have been anyone. I do have to say that SENIORS are not the ones driving all over town with those freakin low rise cars with the loud muffler systems or driving like maniacs because they might be late for a party ORRRRR....TEXTING while driving so no more bad comments about SENIORS ok...yes I am one, I am 65 years old and am amazed at how irresponsible the younger drivers are. I go out and about just about every day in my Scion and it is ALWAYS an impatient younger person who almost hits my beloved square car..ALWAYS!!
Read my posts more carefully, please, and then you might understand how I came up with those "likely suspects." So unless the town where you regularly park meets all of the criteria below, I'm not sure how your observations & dings matter to my story. In case you didn't catch everything:

1. We share our parking lot with a soccer field and senior center.
2. The majority of our library patrons are "soccer mom" types (along with their families) and seniors.
3. I've literally never seen low-rise cars in this neighborhood, which is among the most affluent in the nation.

No, I do not know for sure who did it - which is why I referred to them as SUSPECTS. I was mostly just kidding around with that anyway, but logic (and statistical data) does state those are the two groups most likely to have hit me. A young texter is another suspect, you are correct, so add that to my list as well. There's one other group I could have added, but it would not be PC of me to do so.

Quote:
Now tell us...how did you manage to get a scratch across your roof unless a scorned lover did it? No wait...someone had to be sitting up on the roof at an outdoor fest of some sort..that's it..partying. Now there is some responsible behavior..no.
Nice try, but not even close to close. I'm a 35 (almost 36) year-old librarian, for goodness sakes... do you really think I party regularly, let alone on the roof of my car?! Nice way to jump to conclusions, which is ironic considering you were admonishing me for doing the same.

If you must know, I had a run-in with a chain link fence. Very stupid story, but I was driving around the college campus where my mother works, looking for her building (she was new there & it was my first visit). I was looking up at the building names, thought I saw the library, and turned into a driveway without noticing a single-chain "gate" blocking it... by the time I realized it was there, I was already halfway under. Stupid, yes, but not the "irresponsible behavior" you were fantasizing. So how is my roof scratch even remotely relevant, especially since no other cars were involved? If the chain had been another car instead, you can bet your life I would have offered to pay for the damages.

Quote:
Look, take your car to get fixed and stop blaming all the wrong people. My guess?? A big SUV got impatient and pulled out of the parking spot to fast..the irresponsible driver took off cuz he could..who was gonna figure it out and who was gonna stop him. Lesson well learned.
Yes, and half of those SUV drivers in that lot are usually going to the soccer field... hence my JOKE that it was likely a soccer mom. Again, read my posts more carefully before jumping on me.

Now what lesson was I supposed to have learned from this? That some people are jerks? Yeah, I knew that already, which is why I decided to rant about it on the forum. Or that I shouldn't have downgraded my insurance? Perhaps, but I'm saving $50/month, and even with full coverage I'd have to pay around $500 in deductible. Other than that, I'm not sure what lessons could be learned from this... seeing as I have to work (hard to live in the Bay Area without a job!), and can't think of anywhere people-free to park within 20+ miles.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-06-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Eh......usually refered to on farms. Like...."the back of the field". The 40 refers to acres.

So he's saying "don't park near people".
Ah... and the fact I didn't know that term is proof I'm a city girl.

So once again, living in a large urban/suburban area, there is literally nowhere to park "away from people" - especially since this library is in a downtown area, so we're lucky to even find ANY spots available (especially on the weekends).

Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Hey, I'm a city boy. No excuse, missy.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hey, I'm a city boy. No excuse, missy.
LOL... okay, then maybe it's just a regional thing.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Someone once hit my car and left a note.

It said "Sorry i hit your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive