Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times

Advertisements

Yeah let's face the truth. You can't get better than a Toyota. Consumer Reports knows what they are talking about. And yes Ford is garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You're throwing this out there like it means something. Coming from the rice wine drunk "engineers", and I use the term engineers as it always gets a laugh, they wouldn't have a clue about a wind up toy. Anything as complex as todays autos, they haven't even got a chance at guessing it right. Toyota makes no better or no worse cars than the others........and their still in 3 rd place for overall sales in the US. As far as their relationship with Ford, besides not having one, they're looking for another Explorer event to hammer the US auto maker to make CR look good. In reality, there was no issue with the Explorer and the then current model Tundra was more prone to a rollover than the Explorer.....but you didn't hear CR make that statement. CR has ZERO credibility. They're in the same boat with any Petersen rags or Motor Trend- nothing there worth reading.
I personally know several people who have switched to Japanese cars and will never buy American again. My entire extended family buys Honda or Toyota ever since one family member bought an early Civic. We all drive many more miles than average and we put 200K on all of our cars, then still sell them for a very nice price.

If what you say is accurate, why do Toyota and Honda vehicles hold their value so much better than American cars? Compare the depreciation on a Ford Escape and a Honda CRV, for example.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
I used to be a fan of CR but over the years they always seem to pick their best buy weather it's an auto or a TV or dishwasher as the one with the lowest price.

I don't waste my time reading CR any longer.

IMO it has become the Bible for those looking for the lowest price.

Does anybody buy a car based solely on CR recommendations?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
Their reliability ratings aren't "theirs" remember, they're a result of reader surveys. Personally I'm saddened to see Ford's reliability slipping, because I like (not love, but like) their vehicles. They're really trying to innovate and push the limits.

That being said, Toyotas may be reliable, but they put me to sleep.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Well, there's one thing a Toyota fan boy is good for- a great laugh. You think everybody kinda forgot about the 3.0 V6 that cost folks in the millions to fix because of lousy Toyota design and the big T said to the owners- stick it. You forgot about the failed cams in the Tundras or the failed torque converters. You forgot about the plastic beds of the Tacomas that crack and break during winter cold with any kind of load. And Toyota said to the owners- stick it. Or the Tundra frames that are sprung and twisted. And Toyota said to the owners-stick it. You failed to recognize that the ONLY vehicle to ever wear yer highly heralded CR "Do Not Recommend Buy" had a Toyota badge on the front. And I didn't mention the cars that accelerate by themselves yet. We could get onto cost of maintenance but why. There's also a big reason why you don't see any Toyotas on construction sites- they're worthless as a truck. Toyota is no better than any other car on the road.
Since some would like to refer to friends or their own single car/truck, here's one for you. My brother has been a Toyota buyer since 88. He works ranches and his first and second Tacoma were absolutely bulletproof. They were so good the rancher he works for is the owner of 26 units that are work trucks on the ranch. Neither the rancher or bro will be buying another one. The Toyota reliability is gone. The rancher drives a top of line Tundra and says is the biggest POS he's ever owned. The truck, per him, can get stuck on asphalt- yeah, it's a 4x4 as are all of the units. His Tundra is in the shop about as much as he gets to drive it. Cost of maintenance and the tremendous thirst of the units is almost laughable. Good thing he owns oil wells. His wife drives a top of the line Lexus. The car is 4 months old and she's looking for another Escalade. She says ya gotta be outa yer mind to own one of these things. And she's an Ivy Leaguer.
As far as resale value, P T Barnum said it best. Morons still believe in the mythological Toyota quality. They're no better and no worse than any other brand. Look at The Wards Ten Best Engine List. You won't find a Toyota there.
Ward

And I didn't bring up the flaming Prius either. So come on fan boys, I need another laugh.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Every car maker has made some less than stellar vehicles--even Toyota. But Toyota, overall, has built better vehicles for a lot of years. That said, I don't think the late models Tundras are very good, so I would agree with TrapperL about that.

As for the 3.0 V6 being a poor engine--I know a number of people who have put 250K miles on theirs with no problems. The big issue with the 3.0 in Toyota trucks is that it was (in common with most under 3.5L displacement V6's built in the 1980's and early 1990's) underpowered and not especially fuel-efficient.

I would take a Toyota Tacoma any day over, say, a Chevy Colorado. What's really sad is that Toyota won't sell its excellent Hi-lux pickups in the US.

As for the Prius, if it is so supposedly awful, why is Toyota selling them in the US as fast as they build them, and why does the Prius win nearly every poll that asks car owners if they would purchase another of the same model vehicle that they own?

I'm not a blind Toyota loyalist, either. I evaluate each vehicle purchase that I make judged on what I believe is the best choice at the time. Right now, especially for cars, that is Toyota. I wish it wasn't that way--I would much rather purchase an American car, but the quality just isn't there in the American Big Three when it comes to cars. In full-size trucks, I still prefer Ford or Chevy/GMC--and, of course, the American Big Three are the only manufactures that sell HD 3/4 ton trucks in the US.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
I wonder if the downturn for Ford is related to the state of our economy and the extreme expense of buying a new truck? Ford has been doing well for the past two years, but lets face it...even the best selling F-150 pickup truck costs a fortune. Then look at the Super Duty line of trucks where the cost nears $40,000 per unit. With the high unemployment rate at the moment, not too many buyers are spending that kind of money. Instead they can turn around and buy a used cheaper and smaller truck, car, or small SUV that does not use as much fuel. The used market cost of $15K-25K is much hotter for now.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Hi johnfrisco--

And you are surprised to see this?

I'm not. Almost every truly terrible car I've ever driven was something the Big Three made.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post

I'm not shocked... As I mentioned in a different topic. I recently drove the new Fusion SE and came away extremely disappointed. If that is the best Ford can do then they are in real trouble.

As for the other American brands. Quality is in the toilet. Has been for years and they are not doing anything to fix it..

Last edited by DELL37; 12-30-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Hasn't the Ford Escape had five recalls this year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive