Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Have you seen what you could fit in a Honda Fit?
More like "who" not "what." I'm a big 6-footer, and I can sit behind myself in that thing. Now, I'm sometimes able to do that in compacts, but that's the first and only subcompact I've ever been able to do that with.

4 6-footers. In reasonable comfort. In a subcompact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Why do people drive large SUVs? They're ugly, slow, have **** poor handling, are the first people to complain when gas jumps a nickel.
Because we are morbidly obese, glutanous Americans and it is therefore our right to suck the earth dry of any natural resources.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 22,742 times
I think hatchbacks are cool looking, and don't feel as "grown up" They are also more versatile. I don't want a crossover or an SUV because they sit up too high. I like responsive handling and harsh cornering.

For demographic info, I'm a 33yr old married guy w no kids
Styling is subjective, but I love the profile of a hatchback. Here are the last 2 hatchbacks I've owned, and I never felt dorky in them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5035336...57630812577894

spec5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Fantastic413; 01-01-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,118,793 times
Back in college, I owned a 1984 Chevette CS. Blue. 4 doors (5 including the hatch). Manual transmission. My friends made fun of what they called my "transportation box" but I loved it.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM

4,514 posts, read 4,048,891 times
I think you are taking the wrong approach, it's not why are men attracted to hatchbacks but why aren't women?

I guess the hatchback is what you want if you don't want a truck and don't want to spend the gas for a SUV.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM

337 posts, read 897,220 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but when I first got my license I had a V.W. GTI. It was a cool little car. They're fun, good looking, and cheap on gas.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmor85 View Post
What comes to mind for me is economical, space, and looks. A lot of hatchbacks you can fold down the seats and shove your mountain bike in there. Or your DJ equipment! Obviously gas prices have a big part of choosing what vehicle to drive now. I'm currently in a Blazer ZR2 which doesn't get the best mpg in a metro city.. I've thought about trading it in for a smaller hatch, but thinking about moving back up to Wisconsin. I miss the white stuff It's all preference. I like the VW GTI and Mazda 3/speed 3 hatchbacks. Some others are fairly ugly...
Crossovers are nothing other than hathbacks on stilts anyway. They're car-based hatchback/wagon substitutes for those who want the image of a real SUV without the truck-like ride and handling, poor gas mileage, and towing. It's basically the same thing. Some people prefer the SUV-wannabe image and/or to sit higher up, others would rather get something that does weigh an excessive amount of weight, that handles better, that gets better gas mileage, and that costs less up front because it's not a huge profit maker. The last bit is changing as many of the crossovers now, especially the compacts, carry less premium than they used to.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 PM

19 posts, read 70,790 times
I drove one and I have many reasons for doing so.

Women loved it-the styling and the room
I could take it camping I had a focus decent enough clearance and room for gear
awesome mpg but you still have the functionality.
fun to drive. easy to park downtown

Often pretty affordable to though the focus seems spendy when loaded with options

Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
When it comes time to get another car it will definitely be a hatchback. I would have gotten a real Christmas tree this year( and last) if we'd have had a hatchback. They're just far more versatile, even small ones.
I'm a sedan kind of guy but wagons have always appealed to me strictly on practicality.
I'm considering the Honda Fit, The Kia Soul, Subaru Impreza, VW Golf or possibly the Chevy Sonic. All have their pluses and minuses. The old Hyundai Elantra Touring was a top contender but the new restyling left me cold.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
When it comes time to get another car it will definitely be a hatchback. I would have gotten a real Christmas tree this year( and last) if we'd have had a hatchback. They're just far more versatile, even small ones.
I'm a sedan kind of guy but wagons have always appealed to me strictly on practicality.
I'm considering the Honda Fit, The Kia Soul, Subaru Impreza, VW Golf or possibly the Chevy Sonic. All have their pluses and minuses. The old Hyundai Elantra Touring was a top contender but the new restyling left me cold.
Don't forget the Ford Focus and Ford C-Max. Subie's also got a redesigned Forester coming soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive