Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Ooh, turbo rally car versus jacked pickup, I can just feel the testosterone flowing now, haha.
Well since pickups are not for racing, it will have to be in something that pickups are for. Lets take an apartment full of furniture and boxes then race to see who can move all of the furniture to another arpartment the fastest - turbo hatchback or pick up. Or we could race to split, haul and stack a cord of wood. Or maybe launch a 4500 pound boat at a lake 250 miles away.

Pick ups are also for off road racing. You could race a hatchback over one of those jeep maintained trails that woudl be intersting.

Or you could use a pick up made for racing on pavement. I know of one. That chevy corvette pick up thing. You would be hard pressed to find a hatch back to beat it (except a real corvette), but tha is a stupid thing. It is not really a pick up. It is a car with a multiple personality disorder.

Pickups lose races on roads, but their drivers look very manly while losing. They also look manly while losing hypermiling competitions. Pick ups are great for looking manly while losing things. Hatchbacks, not so much.

No matter what you dirve, there is always a faster car or driver, you can always lose. However sedans or pickups are better at looking manly while losing. See the difference?

That was the pooint the OP was trying to make I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No matter what you dirve, there is always a faster car or driver, you can always lose. However sedans or pickups are better at looking manly while losing. See the difference?
So pickups and sedans are for manly-looking losers? Your words, not mine

Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
So pickups and sedans are for manly-looking losers? Your words, not mine
Correct. ut then you would have to conlude Hatchback are for non-manly (what is the opposite of manly? wussy? priss? girly?) types who want to say "I won" becasue they outran a pickup truck, or a bicycle, or a luxury sedan. Muscle cars are for manly looking winners? At least until a supercar comes along.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Correct. ut then you would have to conlude Hatchback are for non-manly (what is the opposite of manly? wussy? priss? girly?) types who want to say "I won" becasue they outran a pickup truck, or a bicycle, or a luxury sedan. Muscle cars are for manly looking winners? At least until a supercar comes along.
Muscle cars are for people who need to show how manly they are by beating up on compact and midsize drivers. Show them a sport compact or a rally sport, and they're sunk.

Considering half of those "muscle" cars are running V6s also, they're also driving around praying someone in a V8 version doesn't roll up and slap them silly.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I do indeed see the difference: Men who need their vehicle to help them "look" manly need a sedan or a pickup to the trick for them. Men who manly enough that they don't need their vehicle to give them a false sense of manliness are perfectly fine driving hatchbacks.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I do indeed see the difference: Men who need their vehicle to help them "look" manly need a sedan or a pickup to the trick for them. Men who manly enough that they don't need their vehicle to give them a false sense of manliness are perfectly fine driving hatchbacks.
What about men who own hatchbacks AND pickup trucks? Or hatchbacks and sedans and pickups and convertibles?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
What about men who own hatchbacks AND pickup trucks? Or hatchbacks and sedans and pickups and convertibles?
THose are the most manly men. Note, I only said pickups are for men who want to LOOK manly. You need one of each to actually be manly - as long as you repair them yourself - oh and you need to reload your own ammo too.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Because other than a 2-door coupe, sedans are the least versatile body style there is. You can carry passengers, but not much stuff. With a hatchback (or wagon), you can carry passengers, or you can carry stuff, and you don't suffer the downsides of a big truck when you only need to carry yourself.

Bottom line: larger interior, same overall length, negligible weight increase. I thought this was obvious.

Personally, I can't see the downside of owning a hatchback, except some will let a little more road noise in on the highway.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why can't women drive a stickshift?
Wha?!

My sister and I both learned to drive on a stick shift. Why? Because that's what our mom drives. We didn't really have a choice if we ever wanted to use the car.

Our dad has sworn off stick shifts forever, but our mom (who is 60) still drives one, as do I and my sister (we're in our 30's).

Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM

My son - (who is very manly for 17, despite all the estrogen laced water we proabbly forced him to drink), likes primarily sedans. He dislikes hatchbacks and coupes because they are difficult for friends to get in and out of. He loved those giant sedans from the 1960s - 1990s.

Personally, I find sedans boring. Boring looking, and boring utility. However my next car will probably be a sedan. I am getting older and i need a car easy for me and for four or more adult passengers to get in and out of. At least there are some decent performance sedans available. I will miss my hatchback coupe camaro Z28, but I will still have a truck for when I want to look extra manly, and a little british roadster for when I want to look silly and mid life crisessy. I will just yawn my way to work and events in a sedan for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive