Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,404 times

Advertisements

Women of the younger generations really don't care what car a man drives, so neither does them man. My wife wouldn't know the difference between a Porsche and Corvette if it didn't say it on it. My buddy's wife calls his Cayman a Corvette or whatever . For most women these days 35 and under Cars are identified by color and cuteness. What they care about most nowadays is your credit and your employment. Some times a fancy car is detriment. It used to impress women when you said yeah I have an M5 and it costs x amount of dollars. Now it's "How good is it on gas, and can we fit our dogs for road trips?"

I used to drive all sorts of awesome cars. My wife would just comment. "well, only two people fit in there, why do you want that. What If I need you to pick up 2 kids? My other friend just restored a real 65 Stang. His wife dosen't think it's cool at all. She says it smells like an old camper full of gas fumes and only rides in it to appease my buddies ego.

I'm not saying there aren't younger women who would be impressed by a vette, porsche, classic stang or M5. It's just less prevalent in the under 35 crowd.

My personal reason for owning a hatchback (02 Saab 93). Space for skiing equipment, a dog or a ton of groceries or a bunch of random BS as high as I can stack it. 30 MPG minimum ,pretty good handling, and 205 hp engine with a true manual transmission. and of course, my wife and all of her female friends could care less what their men drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times
the GTI is an amazing car. The interior is basically an audi, great touch screen with sat radio and bluetooth so you can wirelessly play pandora radio/music off your phone, great steering wheel, seats.

I put an apr state 1 tune in so it makes 260hp and 300 ft lbs torque, stiffer swaybars, bilstein suspension all around, apr sport springs, beefier front strut mounts off the audi TT, sticky tires, diesel geek short shifter, prob. some other stuff I'm forgetting as well. Its a totally different car from a driving standpoint, a true sports car now. In stock form it was a sporty car. I have yet to have any car keep up with me on entry/exit ramps or in the twisties, not even close. I grew up racing go karts so its a bit unfair, but still. The understeer and body roll are gone. I know multiple other racers who drive a GTI and love it. When driving back to back on a twisty mountain road between my gti and a 335i, my GTI felt more stable and planted and quick, and was generally a more engaging driving experience.

I'm 6'2 and I can set the driver seat up for me then get in the back seat behind it and be comfortable. I can literally pack all my belongings into the back of it and drive anywhere in the country. How can you beat all that for 25k?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 PM

978 posts, read 2,055,494 times
I love my Chevy Sonic hatchback. I'll never own another trunk car again. Although a hatch has less room in the back, when the seats are folded down, it actually has as much space as an SUV. I fit a 50" plasma in the box in the back of my Sonic with the seats down and the hatch fully closed. No way it would have fit in a Corolla or comparable car, even with the seats folded down.

Go to Europe. 90% of the cars there are hatchbacks. I dunno why...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Here are some things I've hauled in my hatchbacks:

A 64" sleeper sofa
A dining table for 4, and 4 chairs
An oversized wing chair and its matching ottoman
3 apartment-sized refrigerators
4 people and their gear for a three-day camping trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
It used to impress women when you said yeah I have an M5 and it costs x amount of dollars.
I would have thought: What a waste of money!

Quote:
Now it's "How good is it on gas, and can we fit our dogs for road trips?"
We women should take this as a compliment -- we're much more practical and sensible.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
the GTI is an amazing car. .... I have yet to have any car keep up with me on entry/exit ramps or in the twisties, not even close. I grew up racing go karts so its a bit unfair, but still. The understeer and body roll are gone. I know multiple other racers who drive a GTI and love it. When driving back to back on a twisty mountain road between my gti and a 335i, my GTI felt more stable and planted and quick, and was generally a more engaging driving experience.

I'm 6'2 and I can set the driver seat up for me then get in the back seat behind it and be comfortable. I can literally pack all my belongings into the back of it and drive anywhere in the country. How can you beat all that for 25k?
Or LESS... I have a few 1st gen A1 (Rabbit) GTI's I got for under $100.

I LUV my A2 GTIs. and fixing to make and A3 TDI GTD.

All my GTI's have to become GTD's so I have the 'Sporty' + 50mpg on FREE fuel. (discarded Jet A / or WVO)

The rest of the world got GTD's, but not USA ad Canada. I will eventually need to import an AWD diesel 'Golf Country' (or make one).

I think my Rabbits still hold the most for a Hatchback... Orthogonal body shape for "Stacking"
. A2 got a bit TALL at rear opening (for stacking cement blocks and heavy stuff.) A4+ is CURVY in hatch area.
The forward folding read seat is handy for BULKY loads (gravel and sand).

I have bumper mount lumber racks for carrying 20' pipe and boards.

I can fit 4 Rabbits or A2 GTD's in my 2 car garage
Handy when you can buy a sporty, fun, efficient car for under $100. Diesel conversion costs me ~ $300 in parts and 8 hrs time.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Or LESS... I have a few 1st gen A1 (Rabbit) GTI's I got for under $100.

I LUV my A2 GTIs. and fixing to make and A3 TDI GTD.

All my GTI's have to become GTD's so I have the 'Sporty' + 50mpg on FREE fuel. (discarded Jet A / or WVO)

The rest of the world got GTD's, but not USA ad Canada. I will eventually need to import an AWD diesel 'Golf Country' (or make one).

I think my Rabbits still hold the most for a Hatchback... Orthogonal body shape for "Stacking"
. A2 got a bit TALL at rear opening (for stacking cement blocks and heavy stuff.) A4+ is CURVY in hatch area.
The forward folding read seat is handy for BULKY loads (gravel and sand).

I have bumper mount lumber racks for carrying 20' pipe and boards.

I can fit 4 Rabbits or A2 GTD's in my 2 car garage
Handy when you can buy a sporty, fun, efficient car for under $100. Diesel conversion costs me ~ $300 in parts and 8 hrs time.
oh yeah, you can get into them for way less. I'm talking about a brand new 2010-2012 one. There's a reason Top Gear named it the best car in the world not too long ago, as a single "do-it-all-well" car I can't find anything that matches it, and my current one has some miles on it now so I've been looking to see if anything is better for the money. The new upcoming generation GTI looks even better, stiffer frame, lighter, the same power stock that I have with a tune in mine (vw measures at the wheels, apr at the crank), cool styling.

The only car that tempts me away from a GTI is a used porsche cayman S. Totally useless for day to day living/hauling stuff but good god, what a car for the price. Its the best road going pure sports car for the money. Such a temptress.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
i would like to say the majority of men that i know do not drive hatchbacks. and for the record i think they look like crap. but, they do serve as very small utility vehicles.

the thing id like to understand is why so many people drive homes on wheels (aka SUVs)?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM

978 posts, read 2,055,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

the thing id like to understand is why so many people drive homes on wheels (aka SUVs)?
I can understand their appeal if you live in the sticks, on a farm, or in a place that gets a lot of snow. Most people who drive SUVs and trucks never use them like they should. Soccer moms should be driving minivans and not Suburbans. Same amount of space, but much better fuel economy.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,866,365 times
I just bought a manual shift Ford Focus hatchback. Fun to drive, good gas mileage. It is going to be my commuter car. Letting the CUV stay with low miles for family road trips, weekend outings etc.
I did not like the styling on the Sedan (nor the Mazda 3 Sedan), the hatch is also more practical.
I have not developed any unusual symptoms either.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:37 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Women of the younger generations really don't care what car a man drives, so neither does them man. My wife wouldn't know the difference between a Porsche and Corvette if it didn't say it on it. My buddy's wife calls his Cayman a Corvette or whatever . For most women these days 35 and under Cars are identified by color and cuteness. What they care about most nowadays is your credit and your employment. Some times a fancy car is detriment. It used to impress women when you said yeah I have an M5 and it costs x amount of dollars. Now it's "How good is it on gas, and can we fit our dogs for road trips?"

I used to drive all sorts of awesome cars. My wife would just comment. "well, only two people fit in there, why do you want that. What If I need you to pick up 2 kids? My other friend just restored a real 65 Stang. His wife dosen't think it's cool at all. She says it smells like an old camper full of gas fumes and only rides in it to appease my buddies ego.

I'm not saying there aren't younger women who would be impressed by a vette, porsche, classic stang or M5. It's just less prevalent in the under 35 crowd.

My personal reason for owning a hatchback (02 Saab 93). Space for skiing equipment, a dog or a ton of groceries or a bunch of random BS as high as I can stack it. 30 MPG minimum ,pretty good handling, and 205 hp engine with a true manual transmission. and of course, my wife and all of her female friends could care less what their men drive.
its funny how you categorize women as thinking as your wife or buddies wife does. it simply means you arent hanging around girls that appreciate cars. are there women that could careless about what car you drive...yes, are there women that enjoy cars as much as men do...yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive