Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I can understand their appeal if you live in the sticks, on a farm, or in a place that gets a lot of snow. Most people who drive SUVs and trucks never use them like they should. Soccer moms should be driving minivans and not Suburbans. Same amount of space, but much better fuel economy.
Suburbans represent such a tiny share of the SUV market that it's tiresome watching people hold it up as the standard bearer of the segment and then attack the whole segment accordingly.

Minivans don't get any better fuel economy than the actual SUVs most commonly driven by "soccer moms." But they do represent a much better use of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
its funny how you categorize women as thinking as your wife or buddies wife does. it simply means you arent hanging around girls that appreciate cars. are there women that could careless about what car you drive...yes, are there women that enjoy cars as much as men do...yes.
I think it's safe to assume the number of women who don't know or care about cars beyond their utilitarian value far outweighs those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 04:59 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I am female and have driven a stick since high school.

Interestingly, I have met quite a few men who can't drive a stick.
x2

I haven't driven anything BUT stick since I was 17 (now 37), for a number of years in San Francisco no less. Many/most of the other stick drivers I know are female too, so that's obviously just a lame stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why do people make blanket observations based on anecdotal and often incorrect evidence?
Thought the same thing when I read your later comment...

Quote:
Several of the hatchbacks you listed are sport compacts, and women typically aren't overly concerned with a vehicles performance.
What's with all the sexist posts in here? On another thread, a mechanic disagreed when I mentioned how women are treated differently (in auto shops, dealers, etc). Now that you see the crap we hear regularly, do you still doubt this?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 AM

Back on the original topic now, I see both female and male hatchback drivers on the road... and while I agree SOME of them are ugly as sin (IMO), I also happen to think the Mazda3 is adorable. Actually wanted to get that as my last car, back in 2005, but my sister talked me into the Accord instead. Now that I'm thinking of getting a new car, the Mazda and Subaru hatchbacks/wagons are at the top of my list!

I just like the extra cargo space, given that I move and travel quite frequently, and play a large-ish musical instrument. I also have a 46lb dog, so it would be great to have that back area for him to ride safely. As for them being less than manly, that's honestly never crossed my mind. I could see calling something like a purple VW Beetle "feminine," but a Mazda3 or Golf? Sorry, no.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
i would like to say the majority of men that i know do not drive hatchbacks. and for the record i think they look like crap. but, they do serve as very small utility vehicles.

the thing id like to understand is why so many people drive homes on wheels (aka SUVs)?
You answered your own question there. They serve as utility vehicles. Unfortunately, hatchbacks are only popular in this country when thinly disguised as off-road trucks. In fact, that's the only type of hatchback some manufacturers even bother selling outside of the subcompact realm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Back on the original topic now, I see both female and male hatchback drivers on the road... and while I agree SOME of them are ugly as sin (IMO), I also happen to think the Mazda3 is adorable. Actually wanted to get that as my last car, back in 2005, but my sister talked me into the Accord instead. Now that I'm thinking of getting a new car, the Mazda and Subaru hatchbacks/wagons are at the top of my list!

I just like the extra cargo space, given that I move and travel quite frequently, and play a large-ish musical instrument. I also have a 46lb dog, so it would be great to have that back area for him to ride safely. As for them being less than manly, that's honestly never crossed my mind. I could see calling something like a purple VW Beetle "feminine," but a Mazda3 or Golf? Sorry, no.
Mazda3 is NOT "cute." I can think of many acceptable positive adjectives to use in conjunction with a Mazda3, including sweet, sexy, amazing, handsome, bada**, and even gorgeous might be acceptable. "Cute" is not.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 AM

334 posts, read 716,798 times
Why do so many men drive hatchbacks?

Grown men
often appreciate the convenience of a hatchback. Boys are very often concerned with looking "kewl".

Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Mazda3 is NOT "cute." I can think of many acceptable positive adjectives to use in conjunction with a Mazda3, including sweet, sexy, amazing, handsome, bada**, and even gorgeous might be acceptable. "Cute" is not.
My apologies, the Mazda3 is one BADAZZ car!! For the record, I actually called it adorable... and at least I didn't say "totes adorbs."

Old 12-05-2013, 11:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
[JamesEarlJones] Totes McGoats. [/JamesEarlJones]

Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
Cannot deny a Hot Hatch is not only fun but very practical they are the perfect balance of having your cake and eating it too

Ford Focus ST vs Mazdaspeed3! - Head 2 Head Episode 28 - YouTube

Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Men buy hatchbacks because they generally don't care if idiots think they're dorky or douchie, they just want to be able to carry 60+ inch TVs, comfy recliners, bookshelves, and the like without needing to bungie that silly little trunk closed.

I won't buy a car with a trunk anymore. SUV or hatchback for me, always and forever.
Exactly
feel free to close this thread now

I bet the OP thinks this car looks douchie

Old 10-13-2014, 12:45 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Having owned a Prius that's a hatchback, I don't think I would buy another car that isn't a hatchback. Fold the backseat down and you would be amazed at what can fit in the car. I picked up a tall 50 gallon water heater in the box and it fit no problem. I've also hauled 40 cases of printer paper in it. It's impossible to do that stuff with anything other than a truck or SUV...but those won't get 50mpg doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive