Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Why thank you for chiming in with that helpful response

I didn't ask for people to bring in other stuff. If you have nothing to add to give reasons why hatchbacks are appealing to men in 2012 then move it along.

Back in the day 90s and such I can see why because they were more prevalent. But as of today it's all about compact cars, sedans, SUVs, trucks, and hatchbacks are a dime a dozen finally making a real comeback and I find it odd that men are the main ones driving them.

I mean everyone has always called the Prius one of the ugliest cars made and almost all hatchbacks look like the Prius's siblings. Yet the Prius up against these hatchbacks looks like the beautiful/handsome older sister/brother; I use to think the Prius was goofy looking up compared to something like the Honda Fit it's gorgeous.
Some hatchbacks are really fun to drive. And the size is practice for many. You can get a mountain bike inside many hatches. Since you brought gender into this, why do so many women drive "cute" convertibles? Why are most VW beetles driven by women? Why can't women drive a stickshift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Odd thread.......who cares? But I agree to a point. 2 dr hatches are fine but 4 dr hatches are kooky looking. I wouldn't own one but then again what is a hatchback? Corvettes/Mustangs of certain vintages were hatchbacks. Audi A7 is a hatch, Porsche Panamera is a hatch.....see it really has no boundaries.

My neighbors kid got into MIT and mom/dad offered to buy Jr. any car he wanted. He wanted a Mazda 3 with the big 265 HP engine (car competes with the hotrod Subarus). When I asked why he responded that it was fast, versatile and he liked the performance for the price. Very reasonable considering it has more HP than a BMW M3 10 years older or a Mustang GT from the early 90's.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Hatchbacks are a "pick-up truck" with good gas mileage!

You can stick 2 x 4's and so forth in the back (leave the hatch open a bit).

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
it's not just spacier. you can not fit guy stuff into a sedan. does not have trunk large enough. and we, men, always haul guy stuff around.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Crossovers and most newer SUVs are simply station wagons, with a new fake name to overcome the housewife image of the 60s-80s. People these days are not nearly as concerned about the look of their cars any more, as they were 20-30 years ago. Back then you were a wimp unless you had something with a big V8. Now people want something practical unless they have more money than brains, and buy a Ferrari that they drive like an 80 year old woman.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Why is this a hard question?

The reason anyone, male or female, buys a hatchback is practicality. It enables you to drive a small car while having a large opening and more space than you would otherwise would. I've driven hatchbacks a lot, from the first car I bought new, a Renault R-5, to my last car, a SAAB 9000, to my present Prius. I would do it again if I found one that met my needs.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Quote:
kind of douchie in a way.
I was thinking the same thing about this thread.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why can't women drive a stickshift?

I am female and have driven a stick since high school.

Interestingly, I have met quite a few men who can't drive a stick.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM

654 posts, read 1,495,784 times
Quote:
It's probably just me but overall I think 99% of hatchbacks look dorky as hell and kind of douchie in a way. I don't know why though but that's the impression I get seeing them on the road.

But most of the time it's always a guy behind the wheel. I see Mazda 3 hatchbacks everywhere and it's some close to 6" or above guy unfolding his body out of this clown car.

I get that it's spacier but why not just get a sedan?

I'm not one to think that only real men drive pickups and such but I don't think hatchbacks scream man at all. Compact, sedans, SUVs, crossovers, trucks and everything else. But those things. I don't know.

If it's not the Mazda it's the Toyota Fit or the VW Golf. I see 2 of those every 10 minutes and they too are all going ridiculously slow. I'm talking 40 on the freeway slow.
Are they racing capable and that's why guys dig them so much? 90% of the time the guys I see on the road here in Houston driving them are driving slowing than grandmas in batmobiles and soccer moms in their huge Honda Odysseys and stuff. They're driving and switching lanes and turning super slow like a student driver or something.
Real men don't live vicariously through their cars.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,913 times
Who really cares what other people drive ? What a "Douchie" thread.
I'm a man and I don't care what type of rig I drive as long as it runs good and doesn't "drive" me into the poorhouse.
What is the value or the point of being concerned with how other people "look" driving a car that they happen to like.
Someone needs to get a life ~~~ or perhaps a hatchback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive