Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
NASCAR is for the ignorant. It is a shame its one of the largest sports in the US.
Well, that's a pretty ignorant thing to say! Do you know there's a driver who has a bachelor's degree in engineering from Purdue University? He actually completed his degree while racing. He's not someone who's ignorant. Most people working in the garage are highly educated people who have numerous degrees.

And about those in the grand stands, many of them are highly educated and have a decent income. You have to when tickets are over $100 a person to many races.

Maybe stop and look at some of the engineering marvels the industry has created. There's safety features in YOUR car that were influenced/created by NASCAR. So much for being ignorant.

Personally, I'd rather drive in an oval, d, or a road course than purposely run into someone over and and over. Football is proving to be full of serious brain injuries. That sure doesn't seem too smart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well, that's a pretty ignorant thing to say! Do you know there's a driver who has a bachelor's degree in engineering from Purdue University? He actually completed his degree while racing. He's not someone who's ignorant. Most people working in the garage are highly educated people who have numerous degrees.

And about those in the grand stands, many of them are highly educated and have a decent income. You have to when tickets are over $100 a person to many races.
Your apology for NASCAR's working class audience is more offensive than the post you're replying to.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Your apology for NASCAR's working class audience is more offensive than the post you're replying to.
I didn't apologize for anything. I was pointing out that contrary to rumors, NASCAR actually has an educated fan base as well as participants.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
This thread been popping up so often that I lost my cool and will tell you, what the point is:

So that you can learn how to continuously take left hand turns, so that when you go down left hand stairs, you do not get dizzy. That's it. It's that simple.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If going around the same circle time and time again is competitive...

F1 drivers are far better than their NASCAR counterparts. There's no comparison at all here. For starters, they can actually turn in more than one direction. Some F1 drivers have come to NASCAR because there's more money in it, and it's less dangerous for them.

NASCAR has it's place, going to a race is kind of like going to a baseball or football game, some people just go for the camaraderie, hanging out with friends, and drinking. But make no mistake, it's not in the same league as F1 is. An F1 car could run circles (pun intended) around any NASCAR car out there.

F1 is simply the pinnacle of the sport. NASCAR? I know some people who have street legal cars that could probably outperform most NASCAR teams around a circuit easily, and definitely on a tight road course.
Yet, the only driver to crash into a jet dryer has an F1 and Indycar background. On an oval track to boot. Go figure.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
I didn't apologize for anything. I was pointing out that contrary to rumors, NASCAR actually has an educated fan base as well as participants.
You implied that those lacking degrees are ignorant. Maybe most of the fans ARE ignorant including the educated ones, Christ knows I've met enough educated ignoramuses.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Maybe stop and look at some of the engineering marvels the industry has created. There's safety features in YOUR car that were influenced/created by NASCAR. So much for being ignorant.
Speaking of ignorant, you do realize that NASCAR cars have nothing to do with actual "stock" cars except for having 4 wheels? They use body-on-frame technology, not unibodies like YOUR car. They use pushrod V8 engines, not the DOHC I4 or V6 in YOUR car. Up until last year, they were using carburetors, not fuel injection, which they just introduced, and not direct injection like in YOUR car.

They don't use crumple zones. No airbags. no ABS. No traction control. No stability control. Instead they have flame retardant suits, and guys with fire extinguishers. That's not what you use in YOUR car.

They don't even run the same grade of gasoline as YOUR car.

NASCAR no longer has anything to do with YOUR car.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Why is this stupid thread still alive? Some like NASCAR, some don't, big flippin' deal!

What is the point of football?
What is the point of tennis?
What is the point of American Idol?
What is the point of Justin Bieber?

Seriously, different people have different preferences. Please let it go already!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Why is this stupid thread still alive? Some like NASCAR, some don't, big flippin' deal!

What is the point of football?
What is the point of tennis?
What is the point of American Idol?
What is the point of Justin Bieber?

Seriously, different people have different preferences. Please let it go already!
Sorry but there is just no excuse for tennis. None at all.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Speaking of ignorant, you do realize that NASCAR cars have nothing to do with actual "stock" cars except for having 4 wheels? They use body-on-frame technology, not unibodies like YOUR car. They use pushrod V8 engines, not the DOHC I4 or V6 in YOUR car. Up until last year, they were using carburetors, not fuel injection, which they just introduced, and not direct injection like in YOUR car.

They don't use crumple zones. No airbags. no ABS. No traction control. No stability control. Instead they have flame retardant suits, and guys with fire extinguishers. That's not what you use in YOUR car.

They don't even run the same grade of gasoline as YOUR car.

NASCAR no longer has anything to do with YOUR car.
That's why it's not called "stock car racing".
However I disagree about having nothing to do with "your car" because eventually a lot of racing technology (not just NASCAR) makes it to the normal cars. Safety, suspension systems, transmissions, tires, tire compound, aerodynamics, etc.. technology may start on the upper end cars but eventually makes its way to the more common cars for us regular folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive