Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,461 times

Advertisements

....think more about nature. Why r u buying American cars with engine like 5.4 or more?? You can have better quality cars for example from Japan, Korea, or Europe.... What do u think about Smart cars in the US??? I think that it wont be sold much in the us, because u r habituated on ur ****ty cars. Thanks to all Americans who are buying or have bought economical Asian/ European cars. Please think about polar bears. Their ground is breaking... However, ground is breaking not only for them...

Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,878 times
I thought many of these Japanese and European cars are being manufactured in the US now.

The Smart is a 13,000 Euros over here. With the exchange, it is about 20k. I understand that it is 25k plus tax in the US. It only seats two and a hybrid gets better fuel economy for a lower cost and seats 4 instead of just two. The Smart also does not seem to have much longevity. I was shopping for one for a friend last week and I was unable to find one with more than 60k miles. This makes me think that a lot of waste is being created.

The low mileage may be because they are very unsafe on the highways. I see them struggling to keep up with the flow of traffic over here. They are a great city car as they can park in small spaces. Realistically, the Smart has no space for groceries, pets or kids.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:03 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,461 times
I understand... I just mean that a typical american can buy economical Honda/Toyota instead of crappy Chevrolet/Dodge/Ford...

Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
I understand... I just mean that a typical american can buy economical Honda/Toyota instead of crappy Chevrolet/Dodge/Ford...
Well, here goes the can of worms

I've put ~300K on two Chevy trucks. No problems to speak of. In fact, the 1500, with ~160K, miles I gave to a friend (who also has a farm) to use locally. It still runs fine, even if it is a little beat up with use. I see other rural folks around here with Chevys and Fords and Rams that probably go back to the 70s. If a vehicle is well-maintained, it shouldn't crap out on you with normal use - unless it's a lemon to begin with.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would want a big @ss vehicle for just commuting; you'll get arguments that they need it for the space or safety factor, which I consider specious; but the biggest argument you're going to get is: my money/my choice. No matter the environmental or quality reasons you list, your arguments will still be rebutted with "my money/my choice."

I hope this thread ends here.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
....think more about nature. Why r u buying American cars with engine like 5.4 or more?? You can have better quality cars for example from Japan, Korea, or Europe.... What do u think about Smart cars in the US??? I think that it wont be sold much in the us, because u r habituated on ur ****ty cars. Thanks to all Americans who are buying or have bought economical Asian/ European cars. Please think about polar bears. Their ground is breaking... However, ground is breaking not only for them...
Blah blah blah.

The two best-selling cars in the U.S. are:

The Honda Accord
The Toyota Camry

Now go flame some other board.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
SmartCars are awful.

They won't be sold here because no one wants them

Old 01-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
SmartCars are awful.

They won't be sold here because no one wants them
Actually, they've already sold the entire first model-year allotment of them. They'll do well in dense urban markets (NYC, Boston, Chicago, et cetera) where there really is a market for a car of its size.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Actually, they've already sold the entire first model-year allotment of them. They'll do well in dense urban markets (NYC, Boston, Chicago, et cetera) where there really is a market for a car of its size.
Great! Keep them there. They are bugs here in the west. And, we stomp on bugs

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 AM

OK, whatever.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, whatever.
In a collision between a SmartCar and an H2 Hummer - who is going to "win"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive