Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
So what are we arguing about here anyway? Quarter Mile, Auto-X, Nurburgring times, style, mullet factor, penis size?

My main point was that during the 90s and early 2000s most American cars were garbage (specifically in terms of reliability and engineering) compared to Japanese cars of that era. While American car companies have stepped up their game significantly (Especially Ford) that gap in quality over that time period is what allowed Japanese cars to gain such a foothold in this country. I wouldn't say either is "better" at this point but I would definitely put that argument in favor of Japanese cars 10 years ago.
For many, it's all about....size. Literally, they like to just brag about how big their engine is, and have to justify it afterwards. V6 is a badge of honor on some models and some people would prefer to buy a less powerful, less efficient V6 over an I4 with more power that burns less fuel. Luckily we seem to be getting beyond that, to some degree. It's about the right set of features. You don't need massive torque (and the associated weight gain) in every application.

The Big3 did stick with some outdated engine tech for a long time and it hurt them. Ford has gotten away from that, and is going with turbo DI, GM seems to be trying, they're using turbos too, but I don't know if they've implemented DI. Not sure what Chrysler will do, Fiat won't be able to design all their engines.

This is a good thing because GM and Ford they have a chance to jump ahead of Honda and Toyota, who also sat on their laurels too long. Honda is just now deploying DI engines and CVTs to replace their 5 speeds, Toyota is just about to get rid of their 4-speed autos for 6 speeds. Gm and Ford are already ahead of them in transmission technology, and have a head start on advancing engine technology.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
I think it's about time we close this 5-6 year old thread down, not like it was too serious in the first place.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive