Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,974,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's still more stressful than running the same engine at less than 5,000 or 6,000 rpm.

I would rather have an engine that uses torque for acceleration rather than rely on very high rpm's.
Well duh, low rpms are always technically less stressful than high rpms, but that wasn't the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,256,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
not if that engine is built for those higher rpms, and Hondas are built for that.

And the whole generic "fart cans sound bad" ironically shows the lack of knowledge by whoever says that. Yes, different exhaust designs can give slightly different sounds on the same car, but by and large the sound that is coming out of the back is a direct result of the type of engine, not necessarily that it has a bigger pipe at the back. My WRX wagon has a 3 in at the back, and it sounds completely different than what most people associate with a fart can, which is either a weedeater or a hive of bees. A proper exhaust setup on a Subaru sounds absolutely nothing like that unless theyve switched to equal length headers.
Boxer engines are the only 4 cylinder engines that don't have an annoying obnoxious sound when exhaust mods are done, IMO.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a matter of opinion. The cars I like don't need to rev to 8000 rpm to make their power. But let's not try to fool ourselves... a Honda will always look like a Honda. And will never look like a '60s/early-'70s American muscle like these:

Oh, yeah, the old "hp/liter." Well, I don't use the term "liter." Cubic inches all the way for me, baby!
How many Hondas can lay rubber for 100+ feet (without powerbraking)?
Muscle cars are cool. I've still got a '65 Nova, and used to own a restored '67 Camaro as a 19 year old, not to mention driving my dads 2 67s. However, now that I've gotten into Subarus, I don't have as much interest in muscle cars for the simple reason that I enjoy driving. Yes, muscle cars are fun to cruise in and the occasional straight line romp, but they pale in comparison to the driving enjoyment I get out of my WRX wagon, simply because I like to go around curves. I get more enjoyment out of car that does quite a few things well as opposed to a muscle car which only does one thing well.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Boxer engines are the only 4 cylinder engines that don't have an annoying obnoxious sound when exhaust mods are done, IMO.
This is true, but like I said, throw some equal length headers on, and they start sounding like an inline 4. People change to get the little bit of extra power that ELs give over UELs, but IMO it isn't worth sacrificing that boxer low, grumbly growl.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:55 PM

17,655 posts, read 17,769,149 times
Plenty of videos of ricers' engines shredding themselves. Nitrous oxide, turbo/super charger, cold air intake, and high flow exhaust are fine, but your factory engine parts are generally cast, not forged, so they can't take the stress.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,360,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And if that Honda's an NSX?
Odd-looking (IMO) compared to classic 1960s/early-'70s American muscle cars. But the comparison was with the cookie-cutter Honda Civic.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Muscle cars are cool. I've still got a '65 Nova, and used to own a restored '67 Camaro as a 19 year old, not to mention driving my dads 2 67s. However, now that I've gotten into Subarus, I don't have as much interest in muscle cars for the simple reason that I enjoy driving. Yes, muscle cars are fun to cruise in and the occasional straight line romp, but they pale in comparison to the driving enjoyment I get out of my WRX wagon, simply because I like to go around curves. I get more enjoyment out of car that does quite a few things well as opposed to a muscle car which only does one thing well.
Back to that myth again?

It's been mentioned here before that quite a few muscle car owners do suspension upgrades to their cars. I've seen cars like '60s/'70s Camaros, Firebirds and 'Cudas with such upgrades outperforming imports on autocross tracks!

Sorry, but I would never prefer an import (and a wagon at that) over my favorite muscle car (1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum). Where I live, in a valley, about 90% of the streets are straight. There are streets with a lot of turns and curves in the mountains, but I rarely drive there. And when I do, my "no handling" cars can corner at 10-15 mph over the speed limit! Even my '76 Cadillac Limousine can take curves with a "35 mph" speed limit at 45-50 mph.

Last edited by Fleet; 09-06-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Plenty of videos of ricers' engines shredding themselves. Nitrous oxide, turbo/super charger, cold air intake, and high flow exhaust are fine, but your factory engine parts are generally cast, not forged, so they can't take the stress.
Good point and that is probably why quite a few of engines in classic muscle cars have not been rebuilt... they are under much less stress, unless they are extremely modified.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 PM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Back to that myth again?

It's been mentioned here before that quite a few muscle car owners do suspension upgrades to their cars. I've seen cars like '60s/'70s Camaros, Firebirds and 'Cudas with such upgrades outperforming imports on autocross tracks!
I've seen (original)Minis outperforming big block Corvettes on road courses.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
How many muscle cars can get 30+ mpg will still running mid to low 14 seconds 1/4 mile?
An apples to oranges comparison. How many Honda's can seat 6 people and their luggage for a 2-week vacation trip?

The reason the Honda mentioned a few days ago can run 14s is because of their very high redline and the gearing. They have a 1st gear ratio of 3.20:1 or 3.40:1 while the GM muscle cars (with automatic transmissions) had a 2.48:1 1st gear ratio and the Mopars had 2.45:1.

Another good example would be a 2008 Acura TL. The axle ratio is way up there at 4.31:1. A typical Mopar ratio was only 3.23:1. Also, a 340 Dart GTS and Swinger were running in the 14s over 40 years ago! With a relatively mildly-tuned engine, skinny 1960s bias-ply tires and no 8000 rpm redline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive