Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've seen (original)Minis outperforming big block Corvettes on road courses.
Well, I guess that lone example covers everything, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
The OP is liking asking how does someone like a food you happen to hate. No answer will be sufficient. To each his own.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
An apples to oranges comparison. How many Honda's can seat 6 people and their luggage for a 2-week vacation trip?
How many people want to go on a 2-week vacation trip with 5 other people?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,544 times
Quote:
Back to that myth again?

It's been mentioned here before that quite a few muscle car owners do suspension upgrades to their cars. I've seen cars like '60s/'70s Camaros, Firebirds and 'Cudas with such upgrades outperforming imports on autocross tracks!

Sorry, but I would never prefer an import (and a wagon at that) over my favorite muscle car (1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum). Where I live, in a valley, about 90% of the streets are straight. There are streets with a lot of turns and curves in the mountains, but I rarely drive there. And when I do, my "no handling" cars can corner at 10-15 mph over the speed limit! Even my '76 Cadillac Limousine can take curves with a "35 mph" speed limit at 45-50 mph.
Sure you can find examples of people spending good money on good suspensions so they can track a muscle car, but 99% of the time, there's no real comparison. It's not even a myth. Take my car for example. It's got aftermarket front and rear sways, aftermarket struts/springs, among other assorted bushings. Take a muscle car that has a similar setup and ill still run circles around it all day.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How many people want to go on a 2-week vacation trip with 5 other people?
How many people would rather drive a Honda than a classic muscle car?

Wait, maybe I shouldn't ask... they may be a lot of ricers here! Are you trying to defend ricer cars, btw?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Sure you can find examples of people spending good money on good suspensions so they can track a muscle car, but 99% of the time, there's no real comparison. It's not even a myth.
And about 90% of the time, most of those people do just ordinary driving. It's a myth that muscle cars could "only does one thing well."

Quote:
Take my car for example. It's got aftermarket front and rear sways, aftermarket struts/springs, among other assorted bushings. Take a muscle car that has a similar setup and ill still run circles around it all day.
You wouldn't know that for sure unless both cars were on a road course. But most muscle car owners are not interested in autocross racing. Back in the '60s some street racers would actually remove the anti-sway bar to reduce vehicle weight.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:19 AM

431 posts, read 929,994 times
Eh I've been in the car scene since I was 16.. So I've seen it all over the years. In the end I just equate it to bad taste.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:11 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,121,775 times
I think it started out as trying to copy the fast and the furious without any skill. Then the market flooded with terrible parts.
Now it's just idiots with no skill and no money trying to act like they have both.
I never really got the appeal of making a pos car look good. I've always left looks for last. Making it run properly with more power, stop better, handle better, THEN make it look good.
These guys just slap parts on haphazardly and lack the knowledge and skill to at least piece together something tasteful.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
How many people would rather drive a Honda than a classic muscle car?

Wait, maybe I shouldn't ask... they may be a lot of ricers here! Are you trying to defend ricer cars, btw?
Ricers? I couldn't care less what people do with their cars.

But a Honda NSX vs. an old 'muscle' car on a nice twisty mountain road? Only one choice I see and it was made in Japan. I don't see the point of a car that goes if it doesn't also stop and turn except at a drag strip.

You questioned how many Hondas could lay down a strip of rubber. Power used spinning the tires is power NOT used accelerating the car so the point would be?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,038 times
The idea is nothing more than the 60's muscle cars, the new "ricers" or Import performance began as more of a way of competing with the muscle cars, I mean its always more fun to take a smaller displacement engine and open a can of whoop azz on a big block right? so take a 4cyl and turn 12's is pretty impressive, so much so that the manufacturers started making factory versions, IE: Evo, Wrx sti, srt4, focus svt, etc... or high tech versions like the skyline. Its nothing that hasnt been around since the beginning of automobiles, we always want it to be faster. As far as the colors, boldness etc... well each his own, I still choose a 60's muscle car, or a newer forced fed mustang, challenger etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive