Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 12:21 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
CarFox says, show me the CarFax. I say, use craigslist.
What are you talking about? Carfax is a program that tracks a vehicle's history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How/when did auto junkyards become an exclusive source of cheap parts used by people in the lower-income sector of society? Do you mean to insult enthusiasts who like to work on cars or do you live in a fantasy world where the crap you toss out is like Christmas to the lower-income sector of society?

I can't believe someone actually expressed such a thought. You must be young, dumb, well off or feeling really entitled.
I've wrenched cars professionally for over 30 years. You obviously haven't.
I walk through our local U-Pull-Its at least several times per month. You obviously don't.
I am smart. You obviously aren't.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Beyond the immediate question of, "Why should I have to help somebody buy a new car?" were deeper, more troubling questions.

Why did it become our job, as American citizens, to bail-out the automotive industry that had literally driven itself into the ground? Had they not been cranking out overpriced crap, we would have been buying the cars anyway?

Why didn't they just give significant tax incentives for people to buy ultra-efficient cars, if they wanted people do drive them?

And why didn't they let these "traded-in vehicles" just go to salvage yards, to be cannibalized and cheap parts used by people in the lower-income sector of society?

Cash for Clunkers was yet another incredibly stupid, inefficient, government nightmare. And they wonder why we're skeptical about the Affordable Care Act...
That sums up my view of the whole stupidity as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
One might assume he meant Carmax ?
One would be wrong:
Quote:
Yes, I meant CarFax. As in show me the CarFax.
Quote:
CarFox says, show me the CarFax. I say, use craigslist.
I still don't think you get it.
Quote:
How/when did auto junkyards become an exclusive source of cheap parts used by people in the lower-income sector of society? Do you mean to insult enthusiasts who like to work on cars or do you live in a fantasy world where the crap you toss out is like Christmas to the lower-income sector of society?

I can't believe someone actually expressed such a thought. You must be young, dumb, well off or feeling really entitled.
I didn't get that at all from his post. You made several incorrect assumptions.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Also typical was the fact that (on a different forum) I was the only person at the time who criticized it, and I was summarily shouted down. Most people loved it, at the time, and were unable to see how stupid and short-sighted and counter-productive it would turn out to be.

It was the Iraq Invasion of the automotive economy. Nearly unanimously endorsed until people saw what was really happening, and then suddenly everybody turned against it, and forgot how much they were in favor of it at the time..
a lot of us that spoke the truth about the cash for clunkers program got fussed at because somehow we didnt want the auto industry to succeed. it was the same with our opposition to the bailouts that gm and chrysler got. the funny thing is that bush gets excoriated for suggesting that the automakers get bailed out, but obama gets praised for suggesting the same thing. not wanting to make this political though.

Quote:

where did he suggest that salvage yards were the exclusive place to find used auto parts? in fact you read something that he didnt say. and the reality is that the dealers dont have to space to store cars that are slowly parted out, like a salvage yard does. and he is not exactly wrong that the lower income portion of society uses salvage yards for parts, the fact is that used parts are much cheaper than new ones or even rebuilt ones at your local parts store, the only difference is that you dont know if the part is good or not, and you dont get a warranty. you buy it, its your, if its broken in two parts inside you get both parts.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:

No...Its actually day 1 of Economics 101; serviceable vehicles that were worth far more through the program than their actual cash value were destroyed. 690,000 vehicles were traded in. Its a simple economics lesson...When all the cheaper SUV's and Trucks, etc. are REMOVED from the market place, the supply dries up, and though demand remains the same (lots of people still looking for a $1,800 truck, many of them lower income) the price will rise.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Well, I got my $4K for trading in the old family war-wagon at the end of its useful life. Since we were in the market for a new car anyway, we took Uncle Sam's money with no hesitation.

It was about time our family got something inour direction from the gov't!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:58 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Carfax = the advertisements where you can look up a vehicles history...or at least hope to. In reality, Carfax is a joke and a ploy to get you to spend your hard earned money on something that only tell you part of the history on the the car.

Carfox - the stupid fox mascot of Carfax that should be sent thru a blender and then televised for all to see.

Cash 4 Clunkers....yes that ended years ago, thank God, and no I would not recommend it. It was another stupid ploy to get you to buy a new car that you could not afford to start with (same reason the economy tanked), while we destroy your old car, all in an effort to "boost" the economy. Makes a lot of sense don't it?

It was another stupid idea courtesy of the gov't and it's idiot leader, Barack Odumbass

Old 10-13-2013, 12:05 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, I got my $4K for trading in the old family war-wagon at the end of its useful life. Since we were in the market for a new car anyway, we took Uncle Sam's money with no hesitation.

You do realize, don't you, that the money didn't come from the government? It came from the taxpayers - in other words, your neighbors. And you...

Old 10-13-2013, 07:16 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
If you read the fine print on the Carfax report, you'll find that they state that there are no deficiencies "reported". So if the car had been in an accident, repaired, and never "reported", Carfax won't know about it.

What the Cash for Clunkers program did was remove all affordable used cars from the market and lower income folks have suffered since.
Absolutely, and I was shocked at how few people talked about it at the time.

It wiped out the low end of the used car market, and caused price appreciation on the remaining old cars due to competition for decreased supply. Simple Econ 101! It hurt lots of people, especially 20-somethings and the rural poor.

My first few cars would have cost $1,800 - $3,000 in today's money. I couldn't have gone to college while working full time without them, or found better jobs in the suburbs after college. It's horrible to think of all the cars that could have been driven for years by low-income people without that damaging program.

Last edited by LOL_Whut; 10-13-2013 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Since I paid for it, you're welcome. Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive