Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:26 AM

41 posts, read 76,037 times

Advertisements

After 16 years we are getting rid of our Honda Accord LX (base model of Accord). Time to buy a new car that we will keep for another 16 years.

My husband wants to buy the baseline cheapest Accord (in other words, another LX). I want to buy the loaded one because it has more comfortable seats and better audio/satellite radio.

He says XM/Sirius radio will be out of business soon and there's no point paying the extra 5 grand to get the loaded Accord. I say the loaded Accord will be more comfortable to drive as we age and keep its resale value better than the LX.

Invoice on an Accord LX is 21k.
Invoice on an Accord EXL is 26k

What makes more financial sense, buying the baseline model of a car, or buying the "loaded" model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,890 times
Base.

Signed,
Mr. Cheap

Old 11-22-2013, 11:30 AM

534 posts, read 2,409,250 times
If you truly keep the car 16 years, it will make less of an issue, but if you dont keep the car that long, you will always get more back from the ex than you would get from the lx, so its not completely a loss. The base accord (at least the one you had) was a dx (roll up friggin windows!!), you had an in the middle, lx, and they are pretty nicely equipped. The ex has a sunroof i dont care so much for, and other things that i dont necessarily need. For me, it would be another lx. They are nice long term cars. You can inexpensively add sat radio to any car (but its not as nicely integrated).

Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,104,296 times
I personally would not go for the base. The leather seats alone are worth it to me but the additional features certainly help seal the deal. If you can afford it, get it.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM

41 posts, read 76,037 times
Nicely equipped, gbug??? Are you kidding? The LX (both our old 1998 one and the new 2014 one) comes with audio that sounds no better than my grandfather's old hand-cranked radio. I guess you mean nicely equipped is defined as having power windows? Because that's pretty much all our old LX has. The new LX is not much better.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,967 times
Financially... the base model as after all... it is the same engine and the transmission.
In addition, most equipment/accessories can be had at half the price thru aftermarket.

However, things like moonroof and such.... I would want those factory.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Over a 16 year period the purchase price difference is not much. And in 16 years you have a long time to appreciate the nicer interior of the EX-L. If you live in a cold area heated seats are nice. For me a power drivers seat is nearly a must.

XM/Sirius is not going away, though it is unimportant to me. I am one of the people who is unwilling to subscribe to radio. But the satellite radio is probably only $50 of the EX-L's price.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,084,469 times
My view is that it's a lot cheaper to upgrade the radio and speakers aftermarket than to buy them factory installed (unless it's one of those all-in-one units that also controls the heat & AC). A 25% increase in price for a better radio and seats isn't worth for me.

The only things I'd pay more for are mechanical (upgraded engine, transmission, or differential)

Last edited by raveabouttoast; 11-22-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,515,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I personally would not go for the base. The leather seats alone are worth it to me but the additional features certainly help seal the deal. If you can afford it, get it.
Depends on the person - I'd rather have cloth (no sticky back in hot weather).

Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
If you are buying a new car then get what you want with the stuff in it you want. Otherwise you will spend 16 years wishing you did. That said, I would not buy it for satelite radio, but the EX has a lot the LX doesn't which may also be of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Depends on the person - I'd rather have cloth (no sticky back in hot weather).
I am not a fan of leather at any price either. It just never lives up to my expectations of durability and appearance over the long haul, no matter how much I clean, condition, and care for the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive