Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I have never seen so many morons in my life. What were they thinking. The pedestrians walking around all over the road actually caused about 6-8 crashes as people who would have had a lane open had to stop for their a**es. They could have been killed. One of the best was the car that tried to squeeze through between the semi and the left lane cars already stalled, looks like he ran out of room and got creamed further up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 02:23 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
OMG, what the?? As the others have said, they were driving WAY too fast for those conditions! It all started with that little car flying down the middle @ 0:15, and the spinning car behind him... after that, it was like a comedy of errors. Wow.

And yeah, definitely not smart to get out of your car - and then STAND ON THE ROAD - in a situation like that. I'm really surprised nobody got pegged, or maybe they did? I only watched the first couple of minutes, so hopefully nobody outside of their car got hit.
Yes I think it was close for a few of them. Driving way too fast, they were all going 50mph + by the looks of it. it was almost a blinding blizzard and the road was completely covered.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
So what happens if you stay in your car and it gets crushed or explodes on fire. Cops say stand over by the side of the road in a situation like this. They were lucky those semi's didn't hit them. One semi was going quite fast too and nearly hit several vehicles.
I found that semi & it's driver's skills to be the best in this sorry bunch. I key expecting it to add to the situation but it just successfully cruised on through. The Wal-Mart semi, on the other hand, was the most careful/considerate vehicle I saw. Glad to see them pick safety over profit for once.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:47 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
lived in WI for 46 yrs til '09, that sort of winter driving happens far too often. Especially as suv's became more common as family vehicles (i think it gives many a false sense of security), i cant say how many times i've been driving on bad roads to have others fly by me...... and see them in the median a short time later.
I wont peg all WI drivers as that foolish as i've seen it in other states as well. Heck driving back the day after Christmas 2012 thru IN we went thru their little 'blizzard'. Top speed in stretches due to traffic and conditions at times was a crawl, but sure enough someone would whiz by and you would just watch them spin out and hit something.
I feel sorry for those who do drive safely only to get caught up in others' wrecks (like watching nascar at daytona lol), but my sympathy falls short for fools on the road. Now i dont claim to be a great driver, but have been thru plenty of snow and ice over the decades and knock on wood never created an incident nor was caught up in one. Drive safe, and for heaven's sake stay inside a car if at all possible if a pileup like that occurs. The vid shows even walking out into the field may not be a good idea.....

Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Impossible. Those vehicles all have ABS. This kind of thing doesn't happen anymore.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:06 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Impossible. Those vehicles all have ABS. This kind of thing doesn't happen anymore.
What good is ABS on ice and snow?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
...and many also have All Wheel Drive and at this time of year 'all season tires'

Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
man, some of those hits in the 3-4 minute range were pretty solid. The person who spun around the 18 wheeler and sideways into the pack of cars around 4:30 must be pretty sore.

The people wandering around on the road are natural selection waiting to happen. If they're car's ended up there, other people's can too. Which means you don't hang out there when a whole highway of cars is coming at you at speed in a snow storm.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:32 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What good is ABS on ice and snow?
ABS makes braking in the snow more difficult in my car. The brakes never "grab", they just pulsate. These people were idiots. I literally just came in from driving through a snowstorm, and for 20 miles, I didn't touch anything higher than 3rd gear and didn't dare go beyond 30-35.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
It wouldn't take too long to ascertain the situation imo; get into the woods, a safe distance away. Staying in the vehicle would probably result in a back/neck injury, and walking around while bombs are going off...

...no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive