Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

A bit further north, in the Michigan UP, drivers have learned how to use the winter roads to their advantage.

How to turn left in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. [VIDEO]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The Walmart drivers are some of the best out there. I was a little surprised that he did not do what a lot of truckers do in this case, - occupy BOTH lanes to slow down traffic.
I'm not sure, perhaps there was room for improvement. But I just sent the video link in via walmart company feedback, told them to look at 4:17, find out who that driver was and give him some sort of 'extraordinary bonus' for outstanding promotion of corporate brand.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The bench mark video of what not to do in snowy icy winter conditions. Visibility looked good why did some drivers seem to not notice the pileup till the very last second?, why were people driving so fast in those kinds of conditions? I wonder how many were driving on well worn all season tires.?
With some cautious and sensible winter driving the whole incident could have been avoided.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:00 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A bit further north, in the Michigan UP, drivers have learned how to use the winter roads to their advantage.

How to turn left in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. [VIDEO]
Good one. I love the narration.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Were all these people from Florida or another southern state? Surely they weren't native northerners. Unbelieveable.
I grew up in Wisconsin, and I have no problem believing it was all native cheeseheads. You're right, they should know better, but they don't. Or just don't care.

I feel badly saying this because a friend of mine had some family members involved in this incident, and at least 2 of them were hurt quite badly - but almost every single driver in that incident is to blame. The first couple of cars caused the accident, but every single other car that came afterward and ran into the stopped vehicles is at fault. There's simply no excuse for overdriving your vehicle in that kind of weather, no excuse at all.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What good is ABS on ice and snow?
You need to take your ABS equipped car into a snow covered parking lot and go learn how the system helps you steer your car and brake at the same time.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep
What good is ABS on ice and snow?
Do you know what ABS is and what it does,?If you did i doubt you'd need to ask that question.Or did i miss your point of satire or sarcasm?

Last edited by jambo101; 12-14-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Do people in Wisconsin not have any better sense than to stay home when the roads are like that? Obviously, they had not been cleared yet with plows. Honestly, it's just nuts to be out in that kind of weather conditions.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2013, 06:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I drove from Milwaukee to Detroit once on roads like this. There was one car that I saw four different times on the trip:

1 -- Sailing past me in the left lane.
2 -- Stopped on right side, being ticketed by cop.
3 -- Sailing past me in left lane,
4 -- In median waiting for a tow.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I grew up in Wisconsin, and I have no problem believing it was all native cheeseheads. You're right, they should know better, but they don't. Or just don't care.

I feel badly saying this because a friend of mine had some family members involved in this incident, and at least 2 of them were hurt quite badly - but almost every single driver in that incident is to blame. The first couple of cars caused the accident, but every single other car that came afterward and ran into the stopped vehicles is at fault. There's simply no excuse for overdriving your vehicle in that kind of weather, no excuse at all.
A good start would be charging every single driver that drove into this mess that was unable to stop with careless or reckless driving. Having a license suspension or revocation for a few months or a year might get a few of those clods thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive