Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When there are many lanes on the road it just sounds stupid for everybody to be in the right lane unless they are passing. Spreading the cars out a bit is better safety. I wish Yankees would keep their stupid driving rules up North. Everybody just needs to look out for others and be courteous on the road. A little patience and tolerance goes a long way too.
What do our southern neighbors know about "tolerance"??

Who says that all the cars in the right lane, are not "spread out" or spaced far enough away from each other to be considered a safe distance? This is your assumption, so you can attack "Yankees".

I see nothing wrong with a person passing on left, then switching to right lane even though nobody is behind. Some drivers prefer not to be in either of the edge lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM

802 posts, read 1,682,842 times
Video taken from my dash cam. Shows why it's not only frustrating, but dangerous for cars to cruise in the left lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIg...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You're just an accident waiting to happen and I wouldn't mess around on the highway. Why take a stand and put yourself at risk, it's foolish.

One day some idiots racing on the highway will either have road rage with you or take you or others together in a big pile up.
One, that would be the fault of the idiots racing on the highway and, two, that could happen no matter what lane he's in.

Note that in his post he said that he is passing traffic in the right lane and will move over when it is safe to do so. That is the safe thing to do, not to speed up to speed addict speed or to move over before it is safe to do so to accommodate said idiot's addiction.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 AM

695 posts, read 715,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo123 View Post
i have been on the yahoo auto articles lately and there is this troll who has made me think with his argument,

"Why do drivers who pass in the left lane quickly move back over to the right if there is no one behind them for miles."

Most just insult him but I am wondering what a better response would be besides saying "Its the law"

He blames it on lazyness and says drivers dont want to look in their rear view mirror. What do you think

Interesting observation since I usually drive in the left lane at all times with my cruise control on! If you go back to your Driver's Ed training you'll remember that the SAFEST Lane is the one of least resistance--usually the left, since there is no one merging from the left.

Now that we have the "Politically Correct" answer out of the way, let's talk about the REAL reason I cruise in the left lane......plain and simple, the left lane is for SPEEDING, and the right lane is for everyone else. With that said, I really appreciate that everyone moves back over to the right and OUT OF MY WAY!

As for the law, my vehicle is perpetually passing everything on the road, hence the "slower traffic keep right" law doesn't apply to me, and I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 20 years.

Thank you very much.

One final word of advice though, don't speed through Kansas, not even 5 mph over. They're not very forgiving in that state. In Kansas the speed limit IS speeding!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Interesting observation since I usually drive in the left lane at all times with my cruise control on! If you go back to your Driver's Ed training you'll remember that the SAFEST Lane is the one of least resistance--usually the left, since there is no one merging from the left.

Now that we have the "Politically Correct" answer out of the way, let's talk about the REAL reason I cruise in the left lane......plain and simple, the left lane is for SPEEDING, and the right lane is for everyone else. With that said, I really appreciate that everyone moves back over to the right and OUT OF MY WAY!

As for the law, my vehicle is perpetually passing everything on the road, hence the "slower traffic keep right" law doesn't apply to me, and I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 20 years.

Thank you very much.

One final word of advice though, don't speed through Kansas, not even 5 mph over. They're not very forgiving in that state. In Kansas the speed limit IS speeding!
Drivers Ed doesn't teach cruising in the left lane blocking others. If it does in your area, then we have found the problem.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:05 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,857 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZhdvl_P1Zc

So epic...

Old 04-19-2014, 12:50 AM

695 posts, read 715,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Drivers Ed doesn't teach cruising in the left lane blocking others. If it does in your area, then we have found the problem.
Exactly how can I be "blocking others" while cruising in the left lane if I'm traveling 10-15 MPH ABOVE the posted speed limit? It is impossible to set my Cruise Control at 75 MPH in a 60 MPH speed limit zone and cruise in the right lane or middle lanes. Only the left lane offers this opportunity most of the time.

You're talking to a guy who passes up ambulances and firetrucks with their lights and sirens going on the freeway, drives through the wake of snow plows during snow storms, and doesn't slow down for curves, no matter how sharp, anywhere on the freeway system. I've mastered all the curves without slowing down while holding my lane.

People don't usually like riding with me though, something about being tossed around against the door, etc.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Exactly how can I be "blocking others" while cruising in the left lane if I'm traveling 10-15 MPH ABOVE the posted speed limit? It is impossible to set my Cruise Control at 75 MPH in a 60 MPH speed limit zone and cruise in the right lane or middle lanes. Only the left lane offers this opportunity most of the time.

You're talking to a guy who passes up ambulances and firetrucks with their lights and sirens going on the freeway, drives through the wake of snow plows during snow storms, and doesn't slow down for curves, no matter how sharp, anywhere on the freeway system. I've mastered all the curves without slowing down while holding my lane.

People don't usually like riding with me though, something about being tossed around against the door, etc.

If you really drive that way, we've REALLY found the problem, and it's neither driver's ed nor other drivers! You clearly have illusions of being a race car driver, not realizing that the majority of them drive very conservatively on roadways that they share with the general public - much like a black belt doesn't pick fights because they are aware of the consequences of their actions to others and the responsibility that that entails. You clearly don't and it's all about you. That's not a suitable attitude for the public roadways whether or not you have yet gotten a ticket or had (or caused without being involved in - that happens a lot with this kind of driving) an accident.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 AM

860 posts, read 2,205,778 times
Speed limits on certain stretches need to be done away with and left lane for passing only laws vigorously enforced.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times
I don't understand why people find driving in left lane soooooo appealing? I drive in right and leave enough distance from the car in front which allows me to even sleep sometimes and still I get at my destination pretty much at the same time as the maniac in left lane who becomes a crazy lane changer as well at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive