Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on gas prices?
The Lower the Better 143 65.60%
Its fine where it is today 15 6.88%
The Higher the Better 50 22.94%
not sure/other 10 4.59%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes that might be a good move for you. I have wondered about places like Tampa St Pete with all the people and such a spread out place. They have done absolutely nothing to get people out of their cars and now people are going to suffer horribly because they have no options besides a vehicle. One cannot walk there, ride a bus with any sense of efficiency, that is if they could even find a bus route there. Yes move closer to school so you don't have to suffer as much as the price of gas shoots up to completely unaffordable costs.
I know Tampa it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere. I crossed the bridge once 2 yrs ago and no way I'm doing it again. St.pete/Clearwater is very far unless you live on the damn bridge.

I'm stuck here for 2 yrs until I finish school then its back to Japan. Oh how I missed the trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
In my area, it's just the opposite. They all seem to have the same prices. I say collusion, monopoly and anti-trust.
So you believe that Fred, Jane, and Suzy who own three gas stations in town should be taken to federal court on collusion, monopoly and anti-trust charges? There is no email from Exxon every morning plotting prices.

Suzy looks at Fred's prices, and decides that to remain competitive in the dime or so they make per gallon they keep it reasonably close. If Jane has lower overhead costs, she can decide to charge less. If Sam is in a desireable location and has higher leasing costs, he may decide to charge more.

Why is everything that you do not believe in a conspiracy, yet everything you believe in is an absolute truth?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
So you believe that Fred, Jane, and Suzy who own three gas stations in town should be taken to federal court on collusion, monopoly and anti-trust charges? There is no email from Exxon every morning plotting prices.

Suzy looks at Fred's prices, and decides that to remain competitive in the dime or so they make per gallon they keep it reasonably close. If Jane has lower overhead costs, she can decide to charge less. If Sam is in a desireable location and has higher leasing costs, he may decide to charge more.

Why is everything that you do not believe in a conspiracy, yet everything you believe in is an absolute truth?
These high gas prices are definitely a conspiracy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

Why is it that the government sets maximum prices that farmers can charge for a gallon of milk, yet the oil companies can charge whatever they choose for gas? Could it be that the oil industry has more powerful lobbyists? I would say so.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
These high gas prices are definitely a conspiracy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

Why is it that the government sets maximum prices that farmers can charge for a gallon of milk, yet the oil companies can charge whatever they choose for gas? Could it be that the oil industry has more powerful lobbyists? I would say so.
Doesn't seem like a cap to me.

A gallon of Robinson's milk sells for $4.19 at a convenience store on South Federal Boulevard.

Directly across the street, a gallon of unleaded gasoline sells for $3.50 at 7-Eleven.

Dave Martinez, a tall, heavyset man in blue overalls on a visit to the store this week, loudly pinpointed what many Americans are worrying about these days.

"I figure milk is gonna go up to $5," he said, nodding to the woman standing behind the cash counter, "just like gasoline."

Farm to fridge : More Business : The Rocky Mountain News

Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
I will admit I hate the fact that gas is going up, but if it would stay around $3.80 like it is here or go down I would be ok with it. $3.80 is better than the possible $5.00 a gallon.

Upperpeninsularon, That price of milk is at a convenience store, keyword Convenience they are always more expensive. Another thing I don't get is why does the Great Lakes region have such high prices. I once heard we get most of our gas from Canada? I don't know if that's true so don't quote me on it.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Talking Gassssssssss

HEY!! , may be all those rich people that want gas prices to go up on this poll probably don't even drive. that's why they don't care. way to be negAtive!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
HEY!! , may be all those rich people that want gas prices to go up on this poll probably don't even drive. that's why they don't care. way to be negAtive!!!!!!
Boy do I agree with you there. It is all those limosine liberals who are sitting in the back seat being ferried around that only want the rest of hard working individuals to take the bus or be herded into urban living compounds while they vacation by private jet to Martha's Vineyard.

The rest do not want high gas prices, they are just frustrated at our government's inablity to overcome that mindset and to let us drill and refine the commodity that is right in our backyard, that we are hamstrung from creating really unique and plentiful sources of energy and that we are just "tilting at windmills" as PC solutions.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Boy do I agree with you there. It is all those limosine liberals who are sitting in the back seat being ferried around that only want the rest of hard working individuals to take the bus or be herded into urban living compounds while they vacation by private jet to Martha's Vineyard.

The rest do not want high gas prices, they are just frustrated at our government's inablity to overcome that mindset and to let us drill and refine the commodity that is right in our backyard, that we are hamstrung from creating really unique and plentiful sources of energy and that we are just "tilting at windmills" as PC solutions.
not at all

im not well off by any means, and soon to be worse off

but if prices are higher, alternatives will come sooner.

gas will prob never drop below 3/gallon again.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Talking high gasssssss prices suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
not at all

im not well off by any means, and soon to be worse off

but if prices are higher, alternatives will come sooner.

gas will prob never drop below 3/gallon again.

YEAH, WELL i'm getting worse off tooooooo. that's why i'm driving a moyorcycle. higher prices haven't changed crap, except make the the poor man even poorer. i can't afford to go out and buy some hybrid for 30,000 dollars. everything i own is at least ten years or older. so tell me what do you think higher gas prices will do for you and me. sorry to break it to you but we'll be walking before something is done about anything. it's stupid wishing for higher prices , to me that's like wishing your life away . don't wish your life away it's short enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive