Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,257 times

Advertisements

Haven't read the entire thread but when I see someone with a hazard on, it signals to me to proceed with caution.
Whether that is a inexperience driver, mechanical malfunction, or etc... I am not going to guess. I will try to avoid them or pass them as safely as humanly possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,213 times
What a tool. How about this; I'll use my hazard lights when i see fit, and you will do the same. Also, I will mind my own business and you will also do the same. What kind of egotist claims what he feels is a best practice is a law and that he is the one to inform us. I'm sure you have some behaviors other people would find dangerous and wrong, but we don't talk about those right? #arrogant #knowitall

Old 05-05-2014, 09:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
I agree it sucks when it rains hard and all of the sudden, people slow down to 10 MPH or whatever under the limit, which is entirely appropriate, then half of them throw on the hazard lights and you have a see of blinking mixed with rain. If you are going the same speed as traffic, no matter what that is even 10 MPH on an interstate, if that is what is safe, you are not a hazard. It is only when you are differing from the rest of traffic that you are an issue.

This is why I am glad my car has Rear Fog Lights. That way, if there is a heavy fog or really heavy rain with spray, I can turn them on so that others can see me from behind more easily, while still maintaining my signaling ability and showing when I am braking as well. I also am glad I have separate amber turn signals and red brake lights. I think both of these things should be mandatory, but instead because we have so many different state laws as well as ridiculous national regulations that dictate how large the light source must be and not just how bright it needs to be, many European manufacturers are now deleting the rear fogs and going to shared all red brake/turn signals which makes our cars less safe.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Let me throw this out there. Are hazard lights even necessary? Could it be that it was a good idea at some point but has not been used as intended? Forget about driving in the rain. How and when are they supposed to be used? I have seen a lot of cars on the side of the road and they rarely have their flashers on. I suspect they are afraid of running down the battery, which would be my concern too especially if you have to leave your car.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
I am working on a car restoration project and the car can't be driven. But I needed to get it to the shop for repairs. Didn't wan't to spend $75 for a tow so I pulled it behind my other car with a tow rope. Since we were driving so much slower than the normal flow of traffic, both cars had the hazzards going. We used hand signals (still a legal form of signaling) to announce stops and turns.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 AM

1,070 posts, read 740,064 times
Flashers will last much longer than any other lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Let me throw this out there. Are hazard lights even necessary? Could it be that it was a good idea at some point but has not been used as intended? Forget about driving in the rain. How and when are they supposed to be used? I have seen a lot of cars on the side of the road and they rarely have their flashers on. I suspect they are afraid of running down the battery, which would be my concern too especially if you have to leave your car.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:56 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Most states allow use of 4 way hazards at least while driving (moving) in "emergency or hazardous situations/conditions." A good number allow it in general. Only 11 ban it outright and a 12 does unless speed is under 25 mph.

Warning: You May Be Using Your Hazard Lights Incorrectly

Old 05-05-2014, 03:39 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,552 times
Default Hazard Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
We had some heavy rain in my region this past week, and again - people insisted on putting on their hazard lights while DRIVING.

The reason you don't do this is because your hazard lights are to indicate that YOU are a hazard, NOT that you are driving in hazardous conditions. They are not for use while driving in the rain.

Again - THEY ARE NOT FOR USE WHILE DRIVING IN THE RAIN. Headlights are. Headlights on when wipers are on. That's the rule.

Using them in the rain while driving confuses experienced drivers, and creates a dangerous situation.

Thank you.

PS: And don't right with your brights on either. Cripes.
Yes...Normally, I would agree with you. However, when I was living way up North once and stuck driving in a blizzard, traffic was moving about 5 mph. Everyone had their hazard lights on...in addition to their low beams. There are exceptions to every rule.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 PM

35 posts, read 55,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
... the flashers were turned on to relay the message to vehicles behind me that i was slowing down big time....
In similar situations, I apply the brakes intermittently. The irregular rhythm of the brake lights signals more clearly that you're braking, and not just cruising along with your hazards on. If you're panic-stopping, there are other indications of that-- the rear end of the car rises up and settles down when your rate of deceleration slows down. When other cars are present for a hazardous situation in the road, their brake lights are often going on too, in an irregular light show.
-- Brake lights in a travel lane indicate a slowing vehicle or one that's stopped, but always that someone's foot is on a brake pedal, and they're unambiguous in that respect. And they're generally brighter than turn signals and flashers.
-- Flashers in a travel lane indicate either a vehicle that's moving slower than traffic, a vehicle that's stopped, a driver who's using them in low visibility, an oversize or over-hanging load, a vehicle whose driver has pulled into traffic from the shoulder and has forgotten to turn off his flashers, or a child who's playing with the button on the dashboard. Flashers are not a customary signal that a vehicle is slowing.
-- As I said above, I think it would be a good idea to have a switch that would make taillights, turn signals, brake lights, and flashers operate at higher intensity for conditions of low visibility, which could be turned on in fog, rain, or snow, or could be used when driving into the sun. Like current rear-defroster switches, it could turn off automatically at the end of the trip.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I can see your point- it is confusing to other drivers as to WHY you have your hazard lights on while going with the flow of traffic.

Around here the problem I see is people do not turn on their lights in rainstorms. I used to do a long commute and entertained myself by counting the idiots. My studies indicated 10% of the drivers would not put on their headlights in a rainstorm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive