Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:19 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

if you are driving considerably slower than traffic flow you are a hazard... so they can effectively be used during torrential downpours or hail, or in my case one time when there was such a severe blizzard the visibility was something like 50 feet and everyone on the interstate was going about 30MPH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
For years I have always though lights should come on when wipers are turned on. It can't be bypassed.

OP might take his own advice and pull off the road until driving conditions are better if simple flashers are so distracting. How many drivers do so here in the not so free state? Not enough to count and if they feel they are a hazard I thank them for the warning.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 PM

794 posts, read 819,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
For years I have always though lights should come on when wipers are turned on. It can't be bypassed.

OP might take his own advice and pull off the road until driving conditions are better if simple flashers are so distracting. How many drivers do so here in the not so free state? Not enough to count and if they feel they are a hazard I thank them for the warning.
Flasher people and their supporters might be the same folks stopping in the thru lane to let side street drivers cross the highway. Good samaritans, trying to get us all killed.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Another circumstance in which hazard lights are inappropriate is driving in dust storms (a.k.a haboob or sand storm), which are common in the desert Southwest. Generally there are multiple haboobs every summer on Interstate 10, especially between Tucson and Phoenix and they can crop up many places in Metro Phoenix. The Arizona Department of Transportation makes it clear that drivers must use headlights and drive slowly when dust obscures visibility. In the event of serious danger, drivers are told they need to pull off the road and follow these rules:

-Never stop in a travel lane
-Set your emergency brake
-Take your foot off the brake pedal so other drivers won’t follow your tail lights thinking that you’re driving on the road
-Turn off all vehicle lights
-Wait out the storm

Note that the use of hazard lights was not recommended. Further obscuring ourselves in obscurity might seem counter-intuitive, but they have statistics that back up the fact that we're safer that way. Complete details recommended by state officials can be found here:
http://www.deq.co.pima.az.us/educ/pdf/Haboob_7.06.pdf

Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
I'm not putting on my hazzards for your safety. I'm putting them on for my safety. Ever hear of "Defensive Driving?" Putting your hazzards on when visibility falls to a minimum is my attempt to make my car move visible. My taillights aren't enough. I know I'm a good driver and I can avoid others during poor conditions. I'm worried about all the other idiots out there who refuse to slow down during these conditions. If I can give them a few extra feet when they see me, then I have a better chance of not getting hit by an idiot.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool View Post
So then it makes sense to have their hazards on, because by putting their hazards on they've created a hazard, lol
But if you didn't put your hazards on in the first place, you wouldn't be a hazard, thereby not needing the hazard lights.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
The only times i'll turn on the flashers is if i'm on an interstate highway and condition's are such that i'm having to slow way below the speed limit for something like an accident, fog bank, torrential rain with much standing water .a herd of deer in the road etc.. the flashers are intended to make me more visible and to warn those behind me theres a problem that i'm slowing down for, If some have an issue with my using emergency flashers then too bad for them, if viewing a car up ahead with flashers on somehow confuses you maybe you need to re-evaluate your driving competence..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 AM

414 posts, read 931,521 times
Good Lord...people actually drive through sandstorms in AZ? That's madness. Can't imagine what this would do to the paint finish on your car!

I don't recall seeing any sort of transit system at all when I was in Scottsdale, AZ in 2012, so I guess people just have to tough it out if one occurs on a workday. I'd keep a horse, a good set of eye goggles, and protective clothing around for this scenario! Giddy-up!! LOL!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 AM

335 posts, read 1,311,520 times
Re : From the Ocala Star ,

The Florida Drivers Handbook states that a driver should never engage emergency flashers while the vehicle is moving.

The manual states in section 5.35.1 that "if the fog or smoke becomes so thick that you cannot see well enough to keep driving, pull all the way off the pavement and stop. Turn on your emergency flashers."

On the other hand, the Florida Commercial Drivers License Handbook which by federal law must mirror national CDL regulations states that a driver should immediately engage emergency flashers when entering fog and smoke to give vehicles approaching from behind "a quicker opportunity to notice your vehicle."

The federal CDL handbook, which was adopted as the Florida CDL Handbook per federal law, also states that these truck drivers should never "stop along the side of the road, unless absolutely necessary."
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Flasher people and their supporters might be the same folks stopping in the thru lane to let side street drivers cross the highway. Good samaritans, trying to get us all killed.
This "flasher person" retired from driving an 18 wheeler with a backside that looks like a white barn door. The last 5 years I drove 750,000 miles. No accidents; no tickets.

I used flashers often. Probably saved some people by doing so, too. My backside is one of the first things to disappear in the mist, even with my tail lights on.
Many people go too fast in the rain. Maybe they are young; maybe they are dumb. Doesn't matter much. I don't want them running into the back of my trailer so I use the flashers.

Mr Maryland acts as if some harm was done by someone using flashers. Nonsense. Use them when you feel the need. You might save yourself, or you might save someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive