Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Something I've wondered when it comes to sales numbers is the breakdown by each brand separately. For instance, instead of a sole GM sales figure, compare Chevy vs. Toyota. Or Cadillac vs Infiniti. I say this because comparing GM (US market) which has 4 different brands to Toyota which has 2 brands, seems a bit off.
Toyota has 3 brands or have you already written Scion off? Plus import lovers usually point out that having more brands was a disadvantage for GM because they think selling the same car with six different badges is stupid even though that isn't happening but okay, here goes:

Last month, this country:

Ford brand 203,552
Chevrolet 181,648
Toyota brand 176,495
Honda brand 118,335
Nissan brand 94,764

Cadillac + Buick 33,114
Lexus 23,165
Acura 14,122
Infiniti 9,170

Old 05-15-2014, 01:18 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
OK, you didn't read my posting or is it that you didn't understand it. Hopefully you know the difference between dependability and quality (as the inspectors see it). I have owned, and rented at least 30 different vehicle brands over my life and I have made the decision that GM products are the most dependable that I have ever owned. In several million miles of driving I have never had a GM transmission fail or an axle fail or and engine go bad. That's why they were rated number one in dependability. In the quality area not so good. But given a choice I would rather buy a knob for $10 or a door handle for $25 then have a $3000 bill for a transmission.
I read and understood your post. I just disagree with it. No amount of your own personal anecdotal evidence, or personal miles behind the wheel is actual proof of one maker's dependability over another. It is great that you have found them dependable and feel your choices in automobile are good.

I have had plenty of experience with GM vehicles too, and can list a laundry list of problems and issues which were FAR more costly than a $25 part in my own anecdotal experience.

What do we have at the end, two conflicting, meaningless anecdotes.

I am also not sure who is ranking GM number one in dependability. A few of their vehicles did receive kudos on the 2014 JD Power dependability study (which in itself is at best a snapshot of dependability at a car's 3 year mark extrapolated from anecdotal (survey) evidence and not any kind of scientific study or conclusion based on actual warranty claim rates).

Ask the millions of owners of GM 3100 engines who suffered premature head gasket failure, leading to extremely costly repairs to replace it (or worse, seized engines because it leaked coolant into the crankcase) how dependable their cars are. Or ask the owners of GM's Theta and Epsilon SUV's how dependable their trucks are when the transmissions have a tendancy to go bad when the SUV is used for towing... within the tow limits. Or the dependability of the Cruze owners who have been having axle halfshafts break under load losing power to the wheels (and some even when parked on a hill causing the car to roll down the hill).

Quote:
The American consumer has been brain washed by the auto writers and magazines into thinking that they can not get a good car from GM or Ford. The consumer is very naive. Some writer sitting at a computer has the get 2000 words to his editor by midnight so that report of the new Toyota can make the paper by tomorrow. He knows that people will be more likely to read if it says a lot of good things about the car. So he writes what a great car it is. Because he wrote good things about a Toyota. Toyota gives him more Toyota's to write about and maybe even a kick back. Since GM and Ford doesn't give him cars and financial incentive he writes bad stories about them and the world turns.

BTW if you even doubt this then you haven't been paying attention to the way the press handles BO.
Oh please take off the tin foil hat.

For one, the average person is not reading "automotive writers" or taking their work into consideration when making purchase decisions.

Next, those very writers have been loving Ford for a number of years now. Fords get a ton of good press, and are well regarded.

All the automakers push for positive press. GM holds special press days, they fly press around to test new cars and write snappy things about them. They try and give their favorite scribes scoops. Internally, they get frustrating when their wooing turns into bad press.... but then when you consider the product you see why. (They were angry when the Ion was trashed by Car and Driver for instance. I cannot see anyone who has driven cars from multiple makers having anything positive to say about that car).

None of this has anything to do with the President either.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Reminds me of Alan Greenspan running away when the foreclosure rates started to rise in 06? do you think they'll get fined like Toyota with a clause not admitting guilt?
I see you're now making a parallel between GM and the company that you have declared as "the worst." At least you're finally starting to show some intellectual honesty, albeit probably accidentally.

And what in the great wide-open hell does Alan Greenspan have to do with anything?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Toyota has 3 brands or have you already written Scion off? Plus import lovers usually point out that having more brands was a disadvantage for GM because they think selling the same car with six different badges is stupid even though that isn't happening but okay, here goes:

Last month, this country:

Ford brand 203,552
Chevrolet 181,648
Toyota brand 176,495
Honda brand 118,335
Nissan brand 94,764

Cadillac + Buick 33,114
Lexus 23,165
Acura 14,122
Infiniti 9,170
I love how you try and put your thoughts into my words assuming you know exactly what I am thinking. I personally love all types of cars. All brands out there have sold their own lemons. I'm not a huge GM fan due to past personal experiences, but I absolutely love what they have done with the new Corvette along with the new(er) Camaro.

As for the sales figures, I think this is a better way to look at overall sales. You can compare apples to apples.

As for Scion, honestly, I did forget about them.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,082 times
Easy to do. Scion is a waste of time. Good cars, but kids can't afford new cars. You have a serious problem when your intended market can't afford your products.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I love how you try and put your thoughts into my words assuming you know exactly what I am thinking.
I don't care whether it applies to you or not. I was merely stating an observation. Every body is an armchair CEO these days now that GM has gone down into BK and come back up. Much has been spun about what to do with all the brands. Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, GMC and Buick have all been targets of critics, pundits and haters who have different ideas on what should and shouldn't be.

I have never heard any one try to spin Toyota's brand strategy in this country as a disadvantage for them against GM...

until now.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
So to make that statement you would had to have been a life time buyer and owner of GM products. If you haven't been a life time owner then your comments are just a guess and means nothing.

About 3 weeks ago USA today had an article that showed the most dependable vehicles on the road. Of the top ten, 4 were GM's. The most dependable was also a GM.

I have been an owner of GM and will say that dependability is very high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not true, educate yourself before you speak...
to be honest there are GM cars i like, but pretty much ALL of them were built before 1985. the current GM models are bland for the most part, the only real exceptions are the corvette and the camaro. the corvette is still somewhat desirable, but has been getting less so with each design change. in the old days when the new vettes came out, i generally liked them more than the previous model year, until the C4 body style came out. it was too bland overall, but still recognizable as a corvette. however the C7 is worse than the C6 styling wise, i hate the camaro taillights, and i dislike the front end treatment. the C6 was much better.

the camaro was a nice idea in concept. take a popular first gen model, restyle it to fit the modern day. but then the GM designers got a hold of it and made it look like a 6th grader designed the car. the top looks like they took a 69 and not only chopped it 2 1/2", but stretched it as well. the belt line is way too high, and the grill is also somewhat screwed up as well. the mustang and challenger are much better modern iterations than the camaro is.

and then there are the myriad recalls GM has had in the last few years with a number of cars for a variety of reasons. sorry but GM hasnt changed since the bankruptcy, and the cars they are selling are crap.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:33 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to be honest there are GM cars i like, but pretty much ALL of them were built before 1985. the current GM models are bland for the most part, the only real exceptions are the corvette and the camaro. the corvette is still somewhat desirable, but has been getting less so with each design change. in the old days when the new vettes came out, i generally liked them more than the previous model year, until the C4 body style came out. it was too bland overall, but still recognizable as a corvette. however the C7 is worse than the C6 styling wise, i hate the camaro taillights, and i dislike the front end treatment. the C6 was much better.
I disagree. I like the C7 better than the C6 and the C6 better than the C5. And to be honest, I like all of them anyhow. But the C7 is the most well thought out, highly developed, best performing one of the bunch.

Quote:
and then there are the myriad recalls GM has had in the last few years with a number of cars for a variety of reasons. sorry but GM hasnt changed since the bankruptcy, and the cars they are selling are crap.
I disagree, as the owner of a new GM product. In fact, since you just called my car crap, I'd like to have you come over and point out exactly WHY it's crap. I know you like my '63 Comet, but I dare you to insult my Volt to my face.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I disagree, as the owner of a new GM product. In fact, since you just called my car crap, I'd like to have you come over and point out exactly WHY it's crap. I know you like my '63 Comet, but I dare you to insult my Volt to my face.
Uh-oh -- beware the Internet Tough Guy!

Old 05-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Just go down to the local dealership and tell all the people there they are selling crap. Or go to a local car show or off road gathering and insult those owners to their faces. Internet tough guy indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive