Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times

Advertisements

Owen Courreges: New Orleans school-zone lights don’t work, but speed cameras do. Surprised? » Uptown Messenger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,854 times
Ok, first off it was a camera, not a police officer. Second, in driving school, I remember them saying it was more important to go the speed of traffic than the speed limit, and if anything, I was going slow. The next problem I have is that they have a sign saying "Speed Limit 35" and then five seconds later a school sign quickly pops up with a camera literally right after the sign. That set-up in itself is truly unfair. Finally, seven miles-per-hour is really just a twitch of the leg. It's not like I was driving as if I were on the interstate!
Yeah, the law applies to me, but it doesn't mean that the law is right.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 PM

573 posts, read 586,595 times
Wow after reading these posts, I can see most of you are the mouth breathing 'dense' sort that dare not question the almighty law! I linked evidence that shows that many speed limits are not in place for safety but for revenue and you revert to the "but, but it's the law Cletus!" Maybe our country wouldn't be ran so far into the ground if people started asking more questions instead of accepting the "status quo". And Thulsa did you know that many of these traffic deaths each year can be attributed to differential speed limits for cars/trucks, and time of day? Speeds vary so wildly in this country that it causes many accidents. Also many more accidents are caused by distracted driving (texting, eating, not paying attention) and intoxicated drivers than speeding. Texting and Driving Statistics. Look, we can all agree that going too fast in a school zone at any time is dangerous, but 27 mph is so slow that you can EASILY stop in time if you spot someone in the street. What I want everyone to be educated about here is that the speed limit being 20 does not equal the safest maximum speed.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 PM

How'd you know I live in New Orleans? Lol! In case you live there, it is the (newly discovered) speed trap in front of Sacred Heart...

Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 PM

573 posts, read 586,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Ok, first off it was a camera, not a police officer. Second, in driving school, I remember them saying it was more important to go the speed of traffic than the speed limit, and if anything, I was going slow. The next problem I have is that they have a sign saying "Speed Limit 35" and then five seconds later a school sign quickly pops up with a camera literally right after the sign. That set-up in itself is truly unfair. Finally, seven miles-per-hour is really just a twitch of the leg. It's not like I was driving as if I were on the interstate!
Yeah, the law applies to me, but it doesn't mean that the law is right.
David you are in the right. I have done tons of research to show how cities are predatory on drivers and use speed traps to increase revenue, and how ticket writing directly correlates with city revenue, however some are always going to continue to be ignorant. Many of these same people who just spout, "you broke the law end of story!" These are often the same people who are refusing to believe Marijuana doesn't turn you into some murderous psycho like Reagan wanted them to believe as well. All we can do is show information and try to explain why this line of thinking is incorrect and go on. Many of these issues just take time. Change in the USA is slow.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,053 times
Look up what Anchorage did with regards to their speed camera problem.

It's hard to argue with "protecting the children" but Anchoarge cameras went way over the line. They would enforce the limits 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, school hour, school days or not. It's a money making deal, nothing more.

OP, you need to find out what happens if you fight the ticket. Does the camera operator have to show up to defend his ticket? Even automated systems usually require some human intervention and if the operators have to appear in court, that's money out of their pocket. If so, they might not even show up and that should be a win for you.
Also, what happens if you tell the ticketing authority to pound sand, you ain't paying? Speed cameras are not sworn officers, and the tickets are issued not by governemt authority but by the company running the camera system. The ymight send them to collections but they aren't going to be turned into a warrant for your arrest.

Your actual results may vary but it is worth looking into. And the cameras can be removed if enough voters get together and make it happen. Anchorage did away with their speed cameras, the company lost a bunch of money on it, the good guys actually can win.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
How'd you know I live in New Orleans?
I'm good at putting two and two together.

Quote:
Lol! In case you live there, it is the (newly discovered) speed trap in front of Sacred Heart...
I live in Chicago. And believe me, we have our own little scamera games up here. For instance, our school zone cameras are effective until 7pm. At least you're given notice on the sign itself when the enforcement hours are (whether it's reasonable to expect motorists to be able to read font that small at speed is another matter). Around here, you're just expected to know when the enforcement hours are, and if you're foolish enough to suppose that, say, 6pm is well beyond "school hours" then too bad for you.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm good at putting two and two together.

I live in Chicago. And believe me, we have our own little scamera games up here. For instance, our school zone cameras are effective until 7pm. At least you're given notice on the sign itself when the enforcement hours are (whether it's reasonable to expect motorists to be able to read font that small at speed is another matter). Around here, you're just expected to know when the enforcement hours are, and if you're foolish enough to suppose that, say, 6pm is well beyond "school hours" then too bad for you.
Some of these people think that these laws are untouchable, that they have never sped in their lives, and that we should all walk on eggshells for the rest of lives..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,934 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I've had enough. I was driving in a "school zone" at 4:28 PM. I was going the speed of traffic, I was going on a major street in my city, there was no "pedestrians" around, and it was, I repeat, 4:28 PM. School was long, long over. But, ok, if the speed limit was 20 and I was going 45, then I would understand getting a ticket, but no, I was going 27 miles per hour at 4:28 PM with no pedestrians on a major road in my city when school was almost 1:30 hours out of session and I get slapped with a speed limit for speeding in a "school zone". From research, apparently, DURING SCHOOL HOURS, going at 26 is a ticket. So, I was one mph above that an hour and a half after school ended, going the speed of traffic. This all makes sense. While my city has one of the highest murder rates in the country, with gangs roaming the city untouched, I am slapped with a ticket for this.

Good job, police department. You "got" me!
So you came to City-Data to complain to everyone instead of taking it up with the police department's supervisors or fighting it in court?

Let us know how that works out for you.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 PM

You figure it's "instead of" how?

Some people are smart enough to exercise more than one option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive