Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Disadvantage is when the battery in the fob dies!
Extra batteries in glove compartment is always a good idea. I purchased a 10 pack for less than $5 online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I like totally keyless entry and push button.

My old S2000 had a turn key, and push button start. My current GTI is just keys in pocket push button. The convenience is worth it IMO.

The downsides are possible hackers, more often battery replacements and lastly the keys are anywhere from $200-$500 depending on the make.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
There is a slot on my cup holder for the FOB but I don't like putting it there. Easier to keep in pocket. Everything I put it there and come out to lock my door, I realize the darn FOB is till there.
True story. Dad is going to airport. Mom goes along to take car and go shopping. Mom goes to mall, shops, comes back to car. Can't start it because Dad has the fob in pocket at 30,000 feet

Old 06-30-2015, 02:52 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
True story. Dad is going to airport. Mom goes along to take car and go shopping. Mom goes to mall, shops, comes back to car. Can't start it because Dad has the fob in pocket at 30,000 feet
Ohhhhh! That is not good. At least my daughter's Rogue gives you a visual and audio warning that there is no key in the car very soon after it leaves the proximity sensor's range. I dropped her off at work, and before I got 5 feet away, it started beeping and flashing messages at me about the missing key fob. Luckily she remembered too and came walking back to the car before I was able to back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
There is a slot on my cup holder for the FOB but I don't like putting it there. Easier to keep in pocket. Everything I put it there and come out to lock my door, I realize the darn FOB is till there.
Some cars have a spot to put the fob when the fob battery is dead so you can still start the car. I know I would not be happy if I had a dead fob and no way to start the car. I'll have to grab my daughter a couple of extra batteries for hers just in case.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 PM

117 posts, read 161,517 times
We just purchased a vehicle with a "smart key." The main advantage to me is not the push button start, but the fact that the car will unlock when I reach for the handle, as long as the key is in my pocket. I don't have to fish the key out of my pocket to unlock the car. I'm about to have two young kids I'll be frequently shuttling around solo, so this is a huge benefit. If I didn't have kids, I don't think I'd care about it as much.

I can also see how it would make you less likely to lock the keys in your car, as the fob always stays in your pocket.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
We just purchased a vehicle with a "smart key." The main advantage to me is not the push button start, but the fact that the car will unlock when I reach for the handle, as long as the key is in my pocket. I don't have to fish the key out of my pocket to unlock the car. I'm about to have two young kids I'll be frequently shuttling around solo, so this is a huge benefit. If I didn't have kids, I don't think I'd care about it as much.

I can also see how it would make you less likely to lock the keys in your car, as the fob always stays in your pocket.
Actually with these fobs it has a proximity sensor so it won't allow you to lock the door from the outside if it senses the key is inside the car

Old 06-30-2015, 04:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Disadvantage is when the battery in the fob dies!
The Fob should have a key in it. The one for my SHO does. I can get in the car and put the fob in a little socket and I am good to go

Old 06-30-2015, 04:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Actually with these fobs it has a proximity sensor so it won't allow you to lock the door from the outside if it senses the key is inside the car
My car will lock and unlock regardless of where the fob is. Strangely it is the first car I have ever had where the fob will lock the doors while the car is running.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Interesting about being able to unlock the car without pressing the unlock button.

I'll have to try that out and see if it works , i've just been unlocking it so far that would make things even more convenient.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:14 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting about being able to unlock the car without pressing the unlock button.

I'll have to try that out and see if it works , i've just been unlocking it so far that would make things even more convenient.

Not all cars with without keys are like that. It's a convenience package for one of my car. On my Infiniti, you still need to push the button on the handle once to unlock the driver and twice to unlock all. Their is a proximity sensor that will light up the handle when the keyfob is close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive