Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Actually, now that you can go online to just about any manufacturer's website and build your car the way you want it, that IS replacing the old car lot system.

You select the car and options you want, and you're told what the price is for everything. There is no salesman, no sales manager, you build the car you want, and the final price is told to you. The only thing you have to actually do with a dealership is pick the car up at one... and even that can be eliminated, because high end cars will actually deliver to your home.
Why do you bother quoting me when it is obvious you don't read my posts? You have a history of just desperately trying to prove you know something I don't. The only thing that matters here is that you don't pay attention to what I've said and have just proven that I'm right. I said that current dealers can accommodate people who don't like haggling with car salesman. They can walk in and pay sticker. They can print a quote off the internet and have it emailed in and walk in and do the paperwork and pick up their car. This is not the problem here. The people in this thread who are complaining don't want to do that. They want an even lower price. They feel like they are being cheated. They are worried that some other guy got a better deal on the same car and will laugh at them when they find out. They are worried that the salesman will take a vacation to Aruba after he closes their deal. I can't help them with that personal issue. Buying a car from Apple or Tesla won't solve their problems either, its just a smokescreen for the angst of buying a big ticket item.

Quote:
Tesla has...
I already said I don't give a damn about Tesla. Anybody that wants to talk them up to me will have needed to have bought one. And if you think their 50-60K sedan is the solution for everybody's automotive needs than there is something seriously deficient in your line of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I would guess that Walmart is making close to 50% profit on the ancillary items they sell you.
Not what I'm talking about. Walmarts GPM is around 25 percent. What is a dealers typical GPM?

Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If MSRP was not an artificially inflated starting price to begin with that would make sense. If manufacturers sold direct, MSRPs would come waaaaaaay down because people would simply comparison shop and buy the configuration they wanted from whoever was offering the lowest price. Manufacturers would quickly find out what they market would bear for any given car. Try reading a little Adam Smith and maybe you'll catch on to what I'm talking about here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_hand

Thats not really true either. Then manufacturers would have pay for store fronts, service centers, and additional employees to sell cars. That "inflated" MSRP would remain the same. The manufacturer would just be collecting all the profit instead of the dealers.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:55 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
I recently looked at a couple of Toyotas at a dealership that claimed their sales people were on salary, they didn't get paid commission. Is this likely to be true?

Old 09-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Why do you bother quoting me when it is obvious you don't read my posts? You have a history of just desperately trying to prove you know something I don't. The only thing that matters here is that you don't pay attention to what I've said and have just proven that I'm right. I said that current dealers can accommodate people who don't like haggling with car salesman. They can walk in and pay sticker. They can print a quote off the internet and have it emailed in and walk in and do the paperwork and pick up their car. This is not the problem here. The people in this thread who are complaining don't want to do that. They want an even lower price. They feel like they are being cheated. They are worried that some other guy got a better deal on the same car and will laugh at them when they find out. They are worried that the salesman will take a vacation to Aruba after he closes their deal. I can't help them with that personal issue. Buying a car from Apple or Tesla won't solve their problems either, its just a smokescreen for the angst of buying a big ticket item.

For me personally, and I'm speaking for me, if all car dealerships in a region were selling X car and over 6 months the average selling price was Y, and all decided to sell the car hassle free at Y price, I'd be perfectly OK with that. Thats just me. The last car I purchased the deal for the car was fine, but what was pretty crappy was the trade in deal which is a whole different story. The salesman didn't work on commission which meant there wasn't that much pressure to sell. Carmax I think works similarly. Now, I've never purchased a car from Carmax, but I've had good experiences looking and shopping there. I know some believe their prices can be a little higher. I think they are generally fair.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I recently looked at a couple of Toyotas at a dealership that claimed their sales people were on salary, they didn't get paid commission. Is this likely to be true?
I think some are going that route...

Old 09-29-2015, 12:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
For me personally, and I'm speaking for me, if all car dealerships in a region were selling X car and over 6 months the average selling price was Y, and all decided to sell the car hassle free at Y price, I'd be perfectly OK with that. Thats just me.
That's called collusion and it is illegal. Consumer protection groups made it that way. What if I want Y-$500?

Quote:
Carmax I think works similarly. Now, I've never purchased a car from Carmax, but I've had good experiences looking and shopping there. I know some believe their prices can be a little higher. I think they are generally fair.
But they don't sell new cars, why do you think that is? They used to, but they got out of that market. "One-price" just doesn't work for new cars. Ask Saturn. Ask Scion.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 PM

464 posts, read 315,022 times
Mr. brantleygilbert,

I appreciate you taking the time to post and provide meaningful insights. Now, as a successful car salesman, do you think that it makes you a good negotiator on the other side of the table, as well? Would you be able to walk into a random dealership and feel confident that you would get a favorable price on a purchase for yourself? How much under the MSRP do you think you could purchase, lets say, a Porsche Cayman stickered at $65,000?

Just out of curiosity... regarding customers who purchase brand new premium cars, like Porsches and Range Rovers, what percentage of them pay cash?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
That's called collusion and it is illegal. Consumer protection groups made it that way. What if I want Y-$500?

But they don't sell new cars, why do you think that is? They used to, but they got out of that market. "One-price" just doesn't work for new cars. Ask Saturn. Ask Scion.

I understand what you are saying, just saying in general about a fair price, just like buying a TV. Samsung has MSRP. Some places sell at MSRP and some put on sales. The sales are public and its an as is price. If other competitors want to price match, great, if they don't, fine too. Generally, most dealerships don't advertise their "lowest" price.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
As usual, if you weren't so busy foaming at the mouth, you might actually put 2 and 2 together and figure out the big picture... but no, you don't. You say that people complaining are the ones who want a lower price than sticker? LOL Of course they do. That's because the sales structure of cars is setup that way. Someone who pays full price is a sucker, because everyone knows that the price is negotiable. THAT is why you haggle, because that's what the current system is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
For me personally, and I'm speaking for me, if all car dealerships in a region were selling X car and over 6 months the average selling price was Y, and all decided to sell the car hassle free at Y price, I'd be perfectly OK with that.
BAM! See Tourian, this guy gets it! If you were buying a car with no salespeople involved, you would just pay list price, because that would be the price. It would be no different than going to Best Buy and buying a coffee maker that's listed at $99.99. That's the marked price, it's new, and it's going to be the same price at every Best Buy everywhere, even online. So no one is getting "cheated," no one is buying a vacation for their salesperson. And the price will be set by a little thing called the market. If the manufacturer prices their cars too high, they won't sell as many as they want to, because people won't pay that amount.

Quote:

Having the same price for the same product across the board at all sales points isn't collusion. Where do you come up with these ludicrous ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive