Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:40 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times

Advertisements

Pretty much all the same things truckers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 10:01 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Drifting (surfing?) when making a left turn from the inside (turn lane) to the outside lane. I turn into the correct lane and then signal (right) to the outside lane, and it seldom fails that the car turning behind me just makes a big, wide turn into the outside lane and hammers it so I can't get into the proper lane.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:06 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Pull out in front of me and go 15 to 20 below the speed limit
Drift over the center line (happens all the time here)!
Speed up when you try to overtake
Overtake me and then go slower than I was going in the first place
Pace me in my blind spot on those temporary uphill passing lanes (poop or get off the pot people!)
I see all of that here on the roads in Oregon, except the first one. I saw that more when I was in California, but I don't see Oregon drivers do it too much.

There are lots of drivers here though who just can't seem to stay in their lane. I have had to brake hard more then a few times when drivers in front of me drifted across the double yellow into my lane. That may be the single most dangerous thing about driving here. Almost every day there is a story about one of the roads around here being closed down because of a head on crash.

The overtaking and passing lane thing too. People here drive 50 mph in a 55 mph zone. Then when they get to a passing lane, they stay in the right lane, but they immediately speed up to 65 mph. I have do drive 80 mph to pass them, and even then sometimes the passing lane ends before I can do it. Then they go back to 50 mph.

One other major problem here are people who make kamikaze left turns. On the highway, in town, it doesn't matter, I am constantly having to brake for idiots turning in front of me. They seem to have unlimited confidence that other drivers will brake for them, and not run into them. On the highway I can kind of understand it. Nobody wants to stop on the highway before making a left turn, and risk getting rear-ended. But they do it even when there is a left turn lane, and it would be perfectly safe to wait for oncoming traffic before turning.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
8. Slowing almost to a stop, or stopping, while in the second lane waiting for a chance to cut over into the exit ramp.
Sometimes that is necessary. I have had times when I was signaling and trying to move over for a mile, and no one would let me over. Often the right lane is bumper to bumper, and crawling along at a snail's pace. The only way to merge over is too slow to the same speed, and then force your way over.

I would blame that more on rude drivers and tailgaters in the right lane, who won't let people over.

Quote:
11. Driving as if the police car in the next lane is a pace car.
Not always a bad idea. They may know about a speed trap in that area, and have already gotten a ticket from that cop. They may have a radar detector, and know that that cop is running his radar. When you see cops, and everybody is slowing down, they might know something you don't know.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Why do people have to almost come to a stop to make a right turn? I can't wait for self driving cars....
I don't get that either. I can turn into a very narrow driveway at about 15 mph. Yet I see many people come to a complete stop before doing the same thing. If you can't make a right turn without stopping, you should give up your license.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:18 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Sometimes that is necessary. I have had times when I was signaling and trying to move over for a mile, and no one would let me over. Often the right lane is bumper to bumper, and crawling along at a snail's pace. The only way to merge over is too slow to the same speed, and then force your way over.
No, it is never necessary, and there is no excuse for endangering the public like that.

If you're about to miss your exit, take the next exit and do a U-turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Not always a bad idea. They may know about a speed trap in that area, and have already gotten a ticket from that cop. They may have a radar detector, and know that that cop is running his radar. When you see cops, and everybody is slowing down, they might know something you don't know.
Merely passing a moving cop is not an offense. If the cop is going slower than the speed limit, it is perfectly legal to pass the cop, so long as you don't break the speed limit in the process.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:21 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
For#1, if traffic is slow or backed up, I think people should use all lanes to the merge point. If traffic is at speed, or moving fairly well, I can see how waiting to the end could be annoying.
When a lane comes to an end, like in a construction zone, traffic is almost always slow. Doing what I mentioned in #1 just exacerbates the problem.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:33 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Quote:
No, it is never necessary, and there is no excuse for endangering the public like that.

Merely passing a moving cop is not an offense. If the cop is going slower than the speed limit, it is perfectly legal to pass the cop, so long as you don't break the speed limit in the process.
In a perfect world, yes, you would be correct.

However, in at least one town in Fl that I use to have to drive throu to visit the wives family, if you went faster then a police officer, you were likely to get a ticket if you were from out of town. It was a notorious town for speed traps. Sure, you could fight it, if you didn't mind driving another 12 hours a month later.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:47 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:

True, but we were pulled over on I95 one time for passing a motorcycle cop. We had followed him for a while and he fell behind slower traffic. My wife was driving and passed him on the left. Of course you check your speed when you do that. He pulled her over and was livid. Like enraged livid. He was yelling at her saying, "Don't you see Police on the side of my bike? You need to respect my badge! What would it look like to other drivers if I let you pass me without pulling you over?!" I must have asked at least three times, "How fast was she going sir?"

Old 10-18-2015, 04:56 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
When a lane comes to an end, like in a construction zone, traffic is almost always slow. Doing what I mentioned in #1 just exacerbates the problem.
I disagree. Using both lanes to the merge point and then zipper merging is much more efficient. Why leave one lane empty?

The Right Way to Merge Lanes to Avoid Traffic-Induced Road Rage

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

http://www.virginiadot.org/vtrc/main.../pdf/05-r6.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive