Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 07:57 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times

Advertisements

I know for a fact I won't want to be in whatever car I am in now in 2-3 years. So leasing means that I can pay nothing up front, pay a lesser monthly payment, and then in 3 years, if the car is worth more than the residual, trade it in, and if it's not, toss the keys back and wish them well. It's no lose for me. By not sinking a bunch of cash into an asset that is virtually guaranteed to depreciate, I free up cash for other things. I can get a much better rate of return on an investment than I can by sinking it into a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:57 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
To each his own. Some people blow their money on expensive vacations, clothes, furniture, electronics, boats, etc. Relative to these choices, I'd almost say an expensive car is a sensible purchase. You use it every day, perhaps you appreciate its performance and comfort, and while it does depreciate, it at least has some residual value unlike some of the above-mentioned items.

For me though, I actually get a rush out of living beneath my means, car-wise. Most of my coworkers drive expensive luxury cars, lifted trucks, etc. My wife & I have a Honda and a Volkswagen. They're new enough, reliable, pleasant to drive, paid for, and low-key.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It's not luxury brand cars, one can easily spend $50k plus on a new truck.
I see it more so with trucks in my area. You can easily spend 50k on a "super duty" truck.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:09 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I drive a luxury SUV. I bought it used 4 years ago for around 30k and its a 2008. I plan on driving it until its dead. Besides oil changes and tires I haven't sunk a penny into repairs. When I bought it for 30K I thought it was expensive but now I see what used SUV's of the like are selling for and I think I got mine pretty cheap. I will only buy something luxury if its in my budget to purchase..no leasing here, I think its a waste of money but find that many people with these high end luxury vehicles are only able to afford them because of leasing. I don't like renting things, id much rather own and keep costs to a minimum. I get attached to vehicles as I spend a lot of my time in them, they are so much more than an appliance...more like a time capsule. Im not a fan of Subaru but do like the latest commercial when the guy is cleaning out his forester to give to his daughter and he finds things inside that remind him of all different times throughout her life. Reminds me of me.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
To each his own. Some people blow their money on expensive vacations, clothes, furniture, electronics, boats, etc. Relative to these choices, I'd almost say an expensive car is a sensible purchase. You use it every day, perhaps you appreciate its performance and comfort, and while it does depreciate, it at least has some residual value unlike some of the above-mentioned items.

For me though, I actually get a rush out of living beneath my means, car-wise. Most of my coworkers drive expensive luxury cars, lifted trucks, etc. My wife & I have a Honda and a Volkswagen. They're new enough, reliable, pleasant to drive, paid for, and low-key.
Same here. I can care less for the "flash" of the car. I drive/lease a 2014 Honda Civic Ex. Drove it off the lot for $0 down and $229/month for 36 months. I have a new reliable car with all the latest tech and that's covered under warranty. It works for me.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Also, to be very clear, my pro-leasing stance is relative to what people can afford. People making $40,000 a year shouldn't be leasing a BMW at $650 a month (or whatever it costs) and using leasing a means to get into a car they couldn't otherwise afford.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Rich people lease luxury cars and expense it on their business. Some with perks of their high paying job allows for car payments as job expense. A lot rich business owners I talk to always buy used and tells me they let the poor people buy it or lease it then they get to buy the car later for 1/2 price.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:56 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Rich people lease luxury cars and expense it on their business. Some with perks of their high paying job allows for car payments as job expense. A lot rich business owners I talk to always buy used and tells me they let the poor people buy it or lease it then they get to buy the car later for 1/2 price.
After seeing how some people I know treat their leases, I'd hate to be the guy who buys the vehicle after. I have one friend who literally gets 1 oil change for the entire duration of the lease. He does it a month or so before he has to turn it in. His response when I get on his case about it?.... "who gives a !@#$, its a lease". He does absolutely no maintenance. Doesnt change air filter, cabin filter, etc.. Turns the car in with balding tires, etc. He gets the damaged waived and jumps right into a new lease usually for the same price or less than his previous payments. He owns his own business so his leased SUV is a business expense write off.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:08 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Amazing how many 50k+ vehicles I see parked in middle class neighborhoods, and Q7s parked in the lot at Target. Never saw that 25 years ago. Back then if you saw someone driving a new Mercedes you knew they were well off!

Do all these people finance everything to the hilt? I would think the last thing you would want to own if you had any sort of debt whatsoever would be a luxury car.
A lot of those are leased and yes, a lot of people are up to their eyeballs in debt and don't put money in their 401k etc.

Some have money from other sources (inheritance) and some just make higher wages and live in middle class neighborhoods.

I could move to a nicer neighborhood but I like mine and don't want to move. *shrug*

Million different examples we could give but in looking at general us trends...it's predominantly living with little savings and lots of debt.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:10 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
After seeing how some people I know treat their leases, I'd hate to be the guy who buys the vehicle after.

Depends. I leased a Benz. I treated that car quite well as if I owned it.

My Infiniti was a lease-turn in. Got it with 15K miles. It now has almost 170K miles on it and has been very reliable other than a few bad wheel bearings (which I replaced myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive