Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 PM

384 posts, read 735,145 times

Advertisements

You have to drive it to know if its worth owning one. The price tag means nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I know for a fact I won't want to be in whatever car I am in now in 2-3 years. So leasing means that I can pay nothing up front, pay a lesser monthly payment, and then in 3 years, if the car is worth more than the residual, trade it in, and if it's not, toss the keys back and wish them well. It's no lose for me. By not sinking a bunch of cash into an asset that is virtually guaranteed to depreciate, I free up cash for other things. I can get a much better rate of return on an investment than I can by sinking it into a car.
Dave Ramsey would disagree with you...

Old 10-19-2015, 08:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Boy. The there are some nosy obnoxious people you hang out with.
He's on to something, and it's not just his people.

I bought an older but well kept 2005 Audi A6 earlier this year ($10k @55k miles incl. 3 years mechanical insurance). It was about three or four thousand dollars cheaper than a slightly newer but higher mileage Toyota Aurion (in Australia/NZ, Aurion = Avalon, basically).

I can definitely relate to the stories that a loaded Camry/Avalon/Suburban would not make someone blink, but a little blue/white shield, 3-point star, or the four silver rings seems to evoke immediate speculation about finances and conjure horrific images of repair costs. I am rather angry at the first (my bank statements are none of your business), but I laugh at the second. The major service + a new wheel bearing was about $575 dollars.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
I disagree with most of the drivel that Dave Ramsey spews, but keep in one who his target audience is.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Why do you care?
winner.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
If you had to save for your nice car for 13 years, you cannot afford it.
House has been paid off for seven years, kids have enough money in their 529s for college, retirement is on track, we are fully insured, we have an emergency fund, and employment is as secure as one could hope. We paid cash for the car, so we can DEFINITELY afford it, but thanks for your concern.

My point in recounting my story was simply to illustrate that if one continues to put a car payment aside after the loan is paid off, it can accumulate substantially. We didn't need to save that much for a new car, we just reaped the benefit of driving the old one for many years with few mechanical problems. We could have spent half of the money and had a perfectly serviceable replacement vehicle, but since all our other bases were covered, we decided to splurge.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-20-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 19,222 times
Well a lot of the people want a nice car and go in debt for that. Not really wise, but god bless America

Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Your numbers are off quite a bit... I can tell you that a base model Boxster/Cayman leases for $600 a month, with $6k due upfront, and it's only a 27 month lease. The Panamera 4 (which would be similarly priced to the Cayenne) starts at $1k per month, and you owe $7k upfront at signing.

"Middle" income people making above $80k could get approved to lease a Porsche. Lower income people do not get approved, at all. So if you're seeing some soccer mom in a Cayenne, they either have a used one and can afford it, or they have a new one and can afford it. You're not going to find any lower income people in Porsches unless it was given to them, or they bought a cheap used one.
Lease numbers vary depending on credit and terms. I had a relative that leased a Lexus for $700/month while I could probably get that for $400/month with good credit but that's how the game goes.

Sure, anyone with a decent paying job can afford a lease and that depends on your knowledge and appetite for debt management. The industry is setup to make it affordable.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Dave Ramsey is a bicycle with training wheels. He is very useful to many people who don't have the first effin' clue what they're doing. Many of his principles are good.

But he gives zero direction on how to leverage debt. Following his advice to the letter would literally cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars. But, hey, I'd be *debt-free*.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,436,661 times
It is just for status. People like attention and like to have the status of owning a luxury car. You can drive in the hood and very poor neighborhoods and see 50K cars, just material status symbols for some to appear wealthy. It's silly and just materialism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive