Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 12:29 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Actually it is the most expensive way.

Of course, if you're just measuring payments, that is one thing. But as I taught dealers when I was consulting to them, the best way for them to make more profit per vehicle was to expand their lease penetration on sales.

But then, what would I know. I just taught this stuff.
It is not the most expensive way. It can be, or it can be a much better deal, depending on the negotiated terms. Dealers love leasing for a couple reasons: (1) most people don't negotiate them like they do a regular purchase, for whatever reason, and (2) that person will be looking for a new car in 2-3 years.

As has been said a million times, leasing is not an inherently poor choice. It all depends on the buyer and what they are looking to do.

For me, leasing is easily the best choice, both personally and financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:48 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
It is not the most expensive way. It can be, or it can be a much better deal, depending on the negotiated terms. Dealers love leasing for a couple reasons: (1) most people don't negotiate them like they do a regular purchase, for whatever reason, and (2) that person will be looking for a new car in 2-3 years.

As has been said a million times, leasing is not an inherently poor choice. It all depends on the buyer and what they are looking to do.

For me, leasing is easily the best choice, both personally and financially.
Just like those who are religious, one can't convince those who don't want to be convinced that reason beats faith. If it works for you, I'm sure your dealer[s] will be happy to accommodate you.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:01 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Many people live beyond their means to give others the impression that they're wealthy.

They're financial fakers.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 PM

10 posts, read 7,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Amazing how many 50k+ vehicles I see parked in middle class neighborhoods, and Q7s parked in the lot at Target. Never saw that 25 years ago. Back then if you saw someone driving a new Mercedes you knew they were well off!

Do all these people finance everything to the hilt? I would think the last thing you would want to own if you had any sort of debt whatsoever would be a luxury car.
what is middle class to you??

Things are definitely different nowadays. Most of the time you have both husband and wife working and making dual incomes where that wasn't as common 25 years back. Often people have different priorities. There are a lot of people that judge just based on a car etc. One person could have a huge expensive house where they put all their money or they just love shopping and drive beaters. So you could be judging based on what you see, yet at home you blow all your money and are house poor. You truly don't know people's situations...so judging really does nothing. They could be super loaded for all you know...you have no idea.

Not saying that people don't over extend themselves...but based on what you see..you won't know the answer without knowing the specific situation. I for one, like having a new car...it has warranty and reliability that i think some people who drive beaters discount. I spend my money how i want...bc it's my money. I don't want to drive a beater, so i prioritize my money so i can buy the things i want. Just like you prioritize how you spend your money.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Not even close, but hey, keep trying. It's amusing.
I'm sure you've heard of the term ghetto rich?

Old 10-18-2015, 02:34 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
A lot of these are actually leases. A lease allows someone to typically drive a more expensive car than they would be able to buy outright. Others are probably used. Also, there are a lot of 0% financing these days, that makes them affordable. Cars in general have also gotten more expensive. A decked out Suburban is $70k. That puts it at the same price point as a Mercedes GL.

But here's the big one. This is the reason you see luxury cars at target: Rich or Poor, EVERYONE NEEDS TOILET PAPER.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:48 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Many people live beyond their means to give others the impression that they're wealthy.

They're financial fakers.

Urban Dictionary: 30k millionaire

Old 10-18-2015, 04:05 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Just like those who are religious, one can't convince those who don't want to be convinced that reason beats faith. If it works for you, I'm sure your dealer[s] will be happy to accommodate you.
Religion isn't math.

Math is math.

I have come out ahead in every lease I've done.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:17 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Religion isn't math.

Math is math.

I'm glad you believe that.

So did the dealer... and I taught many of them to make you feel the way you do.

It means I did my job well.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:26 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Religion isn't math.

Math is math.

I'd love to see the math on how you came out ahead vs. driving a paid for car.

A lease is just renting an experience, four tires and a seat for a fix term.

I suppose next you'll tell us that whole life insurance is a great idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive