Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times

Advertisements

All I know is whenever I'm trying to get ready to go to work in the morning it always seems to take a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 08:24 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
Prestone® Windshield De-Icer | Prestone®

This stuff works well and saves a lot of time and elbow grease.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:38 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
In general, it seems like 4 cylinder engines warm up faster than 6 cylinders. Could be due to less mass and fluid that needs to be heated up?

Old 11-27-2015, 09:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
As we have about 1/8th+ of an inch of ice on everything today, I started our vehicles to get the ice somewhat chipped/cleaned off. Our Rav4 thawed out in about third of the time it took my Buick. Has anyone had a vehicle that warmed up very quickly, much quicker than others that they have had? We had a Honda years ago that warmed up really fast, maybe faster than the Rav4. Which vehicle have you had that warmed up the fastest? Which vehicle is the slowest?
No vehicle is going to warm up quick just idling and it's a waste of fuel and the environment.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
This is what you need....and no it won't crack your windshield.

http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTherm-AT-.../dp/B0034GW1WW

Old 11-28-2015, 02:09 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
living in an area with frequent sub-freezing and sub-zero temperatures, my experience has been that our Subaru's deliver heat sooner than any other vehicle.

If we start our cars before scraping a windshield or brooming the snow off, in the minute or two that it is fast idling the car will then deliver meaningful heat within another minute.

If I broom off the car before starting it, then it's typically driven only a 1/4 mile before I've got noticeable heat coming out of the defroster/heater vents. That's even in well below freezing temperatures, and I usually only reach 30 mph in that first mile of driving.

Of course, it takes a bit more driving to get up to normal engine temp and full heater output delivery after that, but it's nice to have some defroster ability so quickly after starting the car.

We also had good cold weather warm-up with our Audi's.

Our current fleet includes Ford, Dodge, BMW, and M-B vehicles. The subie's are by far and away the most rapid heating of the bunch. The diesel pick-ups are generally pre-warmed with their block heaters, so they can deliver some heat quickly after start-up ... but that's different than starting a vehicle from cold in sub-zero temps and getting heat from it as the subie's do for us.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:11 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Had a GM with a electric heater in the coolant , and the coolant would heat up fast , but you could not let the coolant get to low and you sure needed a good engine fan in the Summer months , but it did get me to work on time , ever time

Old 11-28-2015, 08:11 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
Another challenge is chipping the ice off the doors to get them open. It always sounds like the door gasket is tearing loose when they finally open. I have often wondered if the gaskets had some silicone, or something on them, if they would open easier.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Another challenge is chipping the ice off the doors to get them open. It always sounds like the door gasket is tearing loose when they finally open. I have often wondered if the gaskets had some silicone, or something on them, if they would open easier.
while just about any silicone spray product will help on the door (or frameless window) gaskets,

the best product I've used (for decades on many customer cars) is SilGlyde. It's a stick of stuff that you rub on the gaskets. Doesn't take much to work well. Available at auto parts stores.

PS: checking on-line, they now sell this stuff in a squeeze tube ... and it's available everywhere from your auto parts store to WalMart and most box stores. Inexpensive at around $6/tube, carded pack. Now marketed for a lot of other lube tasks on cars, this stuff is the real deal for keeping the door gaskets from sticking in cold weather.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:11 AM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Vehicles should be warmed up driving in low gear at low speed. That's how it's done in cold countries. This puts the most demand onto engine and makes it warm up faster.
For winter time, place a piece of cardboard in front of radiator to limit air flow. This feature is actually standard OEM on several vehicles.
Buy a darn scraper.
Back in 'ol country we simply poured some cold water onto frozen windshield. Never had one cracked and we had crappy glass.
Leave your wipers raised up after you park the car. So that they do not freeze to the glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive