Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times

Advertisements

Subaru Windshield Wiper De-icer on 14 Forester XT? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 10:58 PM

215 posts, read 185,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Yes, I know it dries the air. I don't care about dry air inside the cab when I'm trying to DEFROST the windshield outside. You realize that some of us in the northern parts use the defroster for defrosting, not just for defogging.
lol I just randomly hit buttons and turn dials until the correct thing happens
"aw s**t it's getting worse, do the opposite thing!" "ah, that's better"
rather immediate effects in a 09 Pontiac Vibe fortunately

Old 11-29-2015, 06:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
My car lives outdoors in Vermont all winter. I have an engine block heater and a windshield cover. I walk up to the car, unplug it, remove the windshield cover, and I'm good to go. I have heat immediately.

A heated garage would be better but I don't have one.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My car lives outdoors in Vermont all winter. I have an engine block heater and a windshield cover. I walk up to the car, unplug it, remove the windshield cover, and I'm good to go. I have heat immediately.

A heated garage would be better but I don't have one.
Yes, that should work when it's not very cold outside. Where I live we have a block, oil pan, and battery heater. Some people have a trickle charger instead of a battery heater, but I prefer a heater.

Over here, when very cold outside (-20 and colder), any moisture inside the car from your breath turns into a thin film of ice on the glass surfaces inside the car. If you have pets in your car, or passengers, and the car is not warm enough inside, their warm breath turns to ice. This does not happen all the time since it depends on how cold it is when you start the car.

New automobiles have optional windshields that are designed with heating elements embedded in the glass by the air defrost area, but are usually a lot more expensive to replace. Also, some cold weather packages do not include the windshield, but still have air pipes that run from the heater, along the center column, under the front liners. These ducts bring warm air to the back seat (s) by the floor mats.

When very cold outside in the interior of Alaska, most shoppers leave their automobile's motors running, which is a bad idea if you leave the key in the ignition. For that reason, remote starters are extremely popular in Alaska. But there are electrical outlets at the parking lots at the place of work. At the supermarkets, for example, the outlets are for their employees, not the shoppers, and that's why shoppers keep the motor running, or just start their motors remotely a few minutes before bringing the groceries to their vehicles.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:04 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
As we have about 1/8th+ of an inch of ice on everything today, I started our vehicles to get the ice somewhat chipped/cleaned off. Our Rav4 thawed out in about third of the time it took my Buick. Has anyone had a vehicle that warmed up very quickly, much quicker than others that they have had? We had a Honda years ago that warmed up really fast, maybe faster than the Rav4. Which vehicle have you had that warmed up the fastest? Which vehicle is the slowest?
The one kept in the garage.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
GM vehicles have always been slow to warm up compared to other makes, from my experience.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:38 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Yes, I know it dries the air. I don't care about dry air inside the cab when I'm trying to DEFROST the windshield outside. You realize that some of us in the northern parts use the defroster for defrosting, not just for defogging.
It is certainly not cooling it though.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:03 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
I can attest that an air cooled VW Beetle would never be on the list.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I can attest that an air cooled VW Beetle would never be on the list.
That's right.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:01 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
When in freezing weather this is what I do ,
I worked at marinas and did the shrink wrap on boats a few years and with the scrap material I cover my vehicle when ever leave it .
On the truck I only cover the cab, and close the material in the door jam so it doesn't get blown off, and it reduces the snooping too.
Its long enough to reach the ground so it seem so hold the heat for a while as well .
On my old "58" cheve truck I had 40 weight oil in the engine ,it was tired , so I had a "rough service" light bulb and clamp lamp mounted inside next to the block ( worked better than a block heater, it warmed more area , and if the bulb died I knew it, if the block heater dies you don't know till it's too late), and merely plugged it in during the night at home .
With the cover, and the lamp under the hood, the truck never had a problem starting in the worst weather .
On top of that the snow just slides off the shrink wrap material .
In the morning I just lift the plastic and unlock the door (no lock freezing problems) get in ,start the truck and unlock the passenger door and free the plastic and shake off the snow if any , fold up the plastic and put it behind he seat and head to work .
Once at work , I cover the truck, and lock the plastic in the door jam, and no one can easily snoop.
Along with that, after work and every one else is using credit cards to scrap off their wind shields, while I'm driving away as though my truck had been in the shop all day.
No frost on my wind shield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive