Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Oh yeah, I meant to include insurance in there too. Through my insurance company, I get "First Accident Forgiveness" which I hope will work on this. I haven't spoke with anyone about it yet though, so can't be sure.

I think that second question is the real deal breaker :P

Woah. I was just saying that it's something I considered. I wasn't trying to argue with anyone. Is "You're preaching to the choir" considered rude? (genuine question)
I've actually been really impressed with the guys who have responded so far. I feel like everyone is being very civil and decent. Nothing at all like the folks in "Non-Romantic Relationships." I had no intent of arguing with anyone.

I'm not sure why you take so many problems with what I've said. We do have basically the same life style. We have the same interests and 9/10 will put forward the same amount of money towards the same stuff. How similar our interests and ideals are is actually somewhat crazy. We met after he challenged me to do a backflip, which I did, then he did. This wouldn't be so weird, except that we both attended a vocational school with numerous different IT specialties and we both favored programming (which was not a class favorite, trust me.) We were both nerds who could do backflips. We both ended up with similarly paying full time jobs out of highschool in very similar fields of work. We actually do have very similar lifestyles. I just noticed that we're both paying off our last bad investment which no longer works with almost the same total debt :P
Don't mistake this for "I just looked at how much he spends on personal expenses, and copied that." I used his for utility costs, food costs, etc.

Why is my budget useless? The only thing I really have to adjust around is how much I'll be spending on insurance once I get a new car and gas money once I figure out how much the new car is gonna cost.

Also, it's not like anyone is driving across town to bend over backwards and help me. I explained in my original post that my dad works at the same business I do. So I just wake up a little earlier and go in when he does. This isn't a burden for him. If he wasn't gonna go one day, I could either take a paid day off and be fine or I could use public transportation, as you said.

If anyone was finding my posts offensive here, I'm truly sorry. I appreciated the input and was not trying to come off as though I already knew what they were saying.
You already know the answer to everything including so carry on and I wish you everything you deserve in your lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 01:15 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
350zs are a lot like driving mustangs? Maybe I'll just get another RX-8. There's nothing like a Rotary...

Don't go by my opinion. Go plop yourself in the seat of some cars and see what you like.

Just don't fool yourself into thinking Nissan cars are higher quality cars. They aren't junk, but I've been involved in plenty of frustrated debates on the 350Z/G35 forums over some of the crappy things on these cars. Wheel bearings, compression rods, rear calipers that seize up every time it rains, oil consumption issues, startup rattle, guys needing to replace motors by 100K miles. They aren't problem free cars.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
You are mentioning cars all across the spectrum. Define your mission profile and start from there.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Autos are probably faster and the auto in the 370Z is very good. But stick is just more involving and fun. my beater has a stick and I have become proficient, and I drove my dads mustang GT and it was so awesome.

If I got a Miata I would turn it into a track car:P

you just have to be patient with the market and maybe buy from a private seller. In the groups on facebook I am come across a bunch of 350's and G35 coupes for sale for under 10k and (usually) they are in pretty good shape/clean title
Hmm... Yeah, stick is fun. It's hard to put my finger on why it's fun, but autos feel so boring now.

Groups on facebook? Hmm, I've never even considered this. I figured I'll just save my money and then once I have like $7-8k I'll just start searching around for a solid 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
It looks and sounds like you should wait until on your own before picking out a $$$ car. You can drive a nice 90s car around until then; it's only car. I would like another 69 Camaro but I am not bound to find another well kept daily driver for $3K anytime soon. Buy a used truck, they are useful and hold their value.
Wait for the purpose of seeing how will fit into my budget? I guess my thought process was something more like; if I want a nicer car, I should do it now so that I only have to pay upkeep when I'm on my own. I'm definitely getting total coverage next time though.
You got a good condition '69 Camaro for $3k? I think the more surprising thing here is that you daily drove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You already know the answer to everything including so carry on and I wish you everything you deserve in your lifetime.
Yes, I thought this was obvious. Thank you for letting everyone else know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Don't go by my opinion. Go plop yourself in the seat of some cars and see what you like.

Just don't fool yourself into thinking Nissan cars are higher quality cars. They aren't junk, but I've been involved in plenty of frustrated debates on the 350Z/G35 forums over some of the crappy things on these cars. Wheel bearings, compression rods, rear calipers that seize up every time it rains, oil consumption issues, startup rattle, guys needing to replace motors by 100K miles. They aren't problem free cars.
Oh yeah, when my bank account starts looking up, I'll begin researching. Probably going through the 350 forums to see what problems people have, what years are the problem years. I'm okay with some problems, but I don't wanna set myself up for failure.
I did a bit of comparing the 350z to the RX-8 before I made my decision to get an RX-8 and a point that always seemed to be touted was the much higher reliability of the 350z compared to the RX-8. But yeah, those are good points. I'll just have to weigh the risk vs reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You are mentioning cars all across the spectrum. Define your mission profile and start from there.
I wasn't necessarily asking for car suggestions because I have a pretty good idea of what I like in my price range. I'm open to suggestions though.
Basically, when I'm looking for a car the things I'm looking for is:

<6s 0-60
<14s 1/4
I like aggressive curvy car bodies, like the RX-8, 350z, 370z, newer mustangs, FR-s, etc.
I dislike boxy cars like the older mustangs, Touring 300s, Challengers and Chargers, etc.
I favor handling over torque (but both is nice ).
I am a sucker for a nice interior. The RX-8 had leather seats which I absolutely loved and a nice quality feel.

What really sells me on a car is if it's unique AND has these things. I can't get down the street without seeing a Mustang. I normally see a few G35s on my way to work. Challengers and Chargers are hardly a rarity.
But whens the last time you saw an RX-8? How many 350zs do you see per day?
When I had my RX-8, I'd see another RX-8 driver less than once a month. When I did, it was the most exciting thing in the world. I wanna keep that sort of feeling. I know 350zs are a little more common, but they're not civic common.

I mention Corollas, Camrys, Miatas, CTSs, because they're affordable. The Miata is supposed to be really fun and the CTS has an awesome interior. Corollas and Camrys are just budget cars, really.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:49 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
<6s 0-60
<14s 1/4
I like aggressive curvy car bodies, like the RX-8, 350z, 370z, newer mustangs, FR-s, etc.
I dislike boxy cars like the older mustangs, Touring 300s, Challengers and Chargers, etc.
I favor handling over torque (but both is nice ).
I am a sucker for a nice interior. The RX-8 had leather seats which I absolutely loved and a nice quality feel.

What really sells me on a car is if it's unique AND has these things. I can't get down the street without seeing a Mustang. I normally see a few G35s on my way to work. Challengers and Chargers are hardly a rarity.
But whens the last time you saw an RX-8? How many 350zs do you see per day?
When I had my RX-8, I'd see another RX-8 driver less than once a month. When I did, it was the most exciting thing in the world. I wanna keep that sort of feeling. I know 350zs are a little more common, but they're not civic common.

I mention Corollas, Camrys, Miatas, CTSs, because they're affordable. The Miata is supposed to be really fun and the CTS has an awesome interior. Corollas and Camrys are just budget cars, really.
Whenever you talk about a 350z and Miata, you also have to include the S2000, Z4 and TT in the conversation which tick all or most of your boxes too. I assume you are open to a convertible, but would you prefer one or do you really want a hardtop coupe?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Whenever you talk about a 350z and Miata, you also have to include the S2000, Z4 and TT in the conversation which tick all or most of your boxes too. I assume you are open to a convertible, but would you prefer one or do you really want a coupe?
Yeah, I suppose those should be mentioned. I haven't seen any S2000 or Z4s for sale though... Semi depressing I guess.
The Audi TT... I don't know much about it. I saw one in person once and confused it for a Beetle at first.

You'd be correct that I am open to convertibles, but in general, I prefer coupes.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:55 PM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
I would buy a BMW 3 series coupe or wagon

Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
One thing to consider with a coupe is the insurance as you will tend to pay more for a 2 seater than a 2+2 or a full-sized coupe. Even the Porsche 911 has "insurance seats" so that it has a lower rate because it is technically a 4-seater. If you are open to a less sporty coupe, I'd consider a Mercedes E-Class, but the E350, not the E550 or an AMG as they tend to be much more expensive to operate. The V6 is basically a Honda Accord in terms of Mercedes, but it's a tad more expensive to run than an Accord, but is also far less boring, but is a mix of touring and luxury, not a true sport/luxury coupe. It comes in a convertible as well, but is a bit more expensive than the coupe, and the coupe comes with 4Matic, but not the convertible.

Another vehicle that blends adequate performance and luxury is the Audi A5, coupe and convertible. An S-trim is more expensive, but you can get the S-Line which has some of the features from the S5 with the more economical A5 platform. It's a reliable vehicle, overall, and looks very good. However, with a convertible top, you are adding complexity, so I might consider buying one that is eligible for an Audi extended warranty, or looking for one at Carmax where you can purchase a warranty to cover the top and its components. The hardtop is a very well designed coupe that has stood up well, IMO, and offers more room than a TT, which is fine if you have another car. I say this as having owned two-seat convertibles, where you need another car because the two-seater is a tad small for normal things like dry cleaning and groceries, even with the top up; or, in the case of the BMW Z, the hardtop coupe, though that has a bit more cargo room than the convertible.

One benefit of the Audi is it is FWD or Quattro AWD, so that helps with winter weather with all-season tires as opposed to the RWD coupes that can be a bit problematic in the snow. Mercedes E-Class are RWD or AWD 4Matic, but not the convertible.

The Porsche Cayman is another very good car in the sport/luxury category, but it's not an inexpensive option, though is quite reliable, but you may need another car with one -- well, I would. Though more tuned for the luxury side of things, the Audi A5 coupe is larger, and would be better suited as a daily driver, since you would have more room for passengers/cargo, if that's a consideration. Since the RX was your only car, that's why I'd look to something similar, not a two-seater or a very tight four-seater, something between the sports car and the luxury coupe.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
One thing to consider with a coupe is the insurance as you will tend to pay more for a 2 seater than a 2+2 or a full-sized coupe. Even the Porsche 911 has "insurance seats" so that it has a lower rate because it is technically a 4-seater. If you are open to a less sporty coupe, I'd consider a Mercedes E-Class, but the E350, not the E550 or an AMG as they tend to be much more expensive to operate. The V6 is basically a Honda Accord in terms of Mercedes, but it's a tad more expensive to run than an Accord, but is also far less boring, but is a mix of touring and luxury, not a true sport/luxury coupe. It comes in a convertible as well, but is a bit more expensive than the coupe, and the coupe comes with 4Matic, but not the convertible.

Another vehicle that blends adequate performance and luxury is the Audi A5, coupe and convertible. An S-trim is more expensive, but you can get the S-Line which has some of the features from the S5 with the more economical A5 platform. It's a reliable vehicle, overall, and looks very good. However, with a convertible top, you are adding complexity, so I might consider buying one that is eligible for an Audi extended warranty, or looking for one at Carmax where you can purchase a warranty to cover the top and its components. The hardtop is a very well designed coupe that has stood up well, IMO, and offers more room than a TT, which is fine if you have another car. I say this as having owned two-seat convertibles, where you need another car because the two-seater is a tad small for normal things like dry cleaning and groceries, even with the top up; or, in the case of the BMW Z, the hardtop coupe, though that has a bit more cargo room than the convertible.

One benefit of the Audi is it is FWD or Quattro AWD, so that helps with winter weather with all-season tires as opposed to the RWD coupes that can be a bit problematic in the snow. Mercedes E-Class are RWD or AWD 4Matic, but not the convertible.

The Porsche Cayman is another very good car in the sport/luxury category, but it's not an inexpensive option, though is quite reliable, but you may need another car with one -- well, I would. Though more tuned for the luxury side of things, the Audi A5 coupe is larger, and would be better suited as a daily driver, since you would have more room for passengers/cargo, if that's a consideration. Since the RX was your only car, that's why I'd look to something similar, not a two-seater or a very tight four-seater, something between the sports car and the luxury coupe.
I actually really liked the A5 suggestion. I think the Porsche would be cool, but a bit out of my price range.
Unfortunately out of all your suggestions, the only one I have been able to find is the E350. One of my neighbors has one. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the E350. I may go test drive it once I have a bit more saved up though, just to see.

I've owned RWD and FWD vehicles and I can feel a little difference, especially when it's raining. Is there much difference with an AWD as far as how it feels?
I'll definitely be interested in driving one before I buy my next car.

In response to the bold, the RX-8 was a 4 seater, but the backseats were not very comfortable. I did have the car full on several occasions and general consensus was that it worked, but not very comfortably. (actually went on an hour and a half trip with the car packed)
I think your suggestion is very reasonable. I'll have to think about what my actual uses are for the car so I can determine if the 350z is even feasible. Otherwise, I might wanna lean more towards the luxury side of the house. And as far as insurance goes, I had called my insurance company and asked what I'd be looking at for a 350z and they gave me a quote that was a bit higher than my RX-8, but it was in the workable range. I can say it made me wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a car that would do a little better on the insurance though.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Yeah, I suppose those should be mentioned. I haven't seen any S2000 or Z4s for sale though... Semi depressing I guess.
The Audi TT... I don't know much about it. I saw one in person once and confused it for a Beetle at first.

You'd be correct that I am open to convertibles, but in general, I prefer coupes.
The S2000 and Z4 are both hard to find so you'll have to start your search a few months in advance, but they will give you the unique and special feel that you had with the RX-8. The other cars on your list are a lot more common and you'll probably see them on a weekly or even daily basis. You'll have to assess what your needs are though, as both are 2-seaters just like the 350Z. Since this is your daily driver you might be better off giving up some of that uniqueness and sporty handling for something more practical like a A5. Where do you live? If you are in a cold climate then you don't want to be driving a soft top convertible in the winter either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive