Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:42 AM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Many running well over 100. Jeez, 60 mph, we have faster speed limits here on our expressways thru town.
I'm referring entirely to outer urban and suburban highways for the most part, such as the ones I listed. Those highways have too many exists and in some case curves to support a 70 mph limit. My beef is mostly the old 60 limit roads that remain posted at 55 or in a few cases 50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If you raise the speed limit in NY or NJ, then all those mobile tax collectors will see their revenue streams drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think people will speed no matter what the posted speed limit is.. Put it at 60 people will do 70-80 put it at 70 people will do 90-100.
You can offset that the way NJ does, which is to double fines in the 65 (or new 60) zones. Also I'm a believer in enforcement. The police should enforce at about 10 over the limit. If the did there were would be a revolution about the 55 limit and they would be raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
As more cars come into use with safety features like lane departure warning, 360 degree radar, better engineered crash absorbing frames, curtain airbags, etc., fatalities will decrease, and higher speeds will become safer and more practical.

Traveling across Arizona and New Mexico on these long, lonely stretches of interstate, you can't practically go 55 mph. There aren't enough rest stops. As I recall from last time I was out there, the posted limit is 75, and most people were traveling 75-85. When it's fairly flat, the roads are broad and smooth, and you can see for 50 miles, these are reasonable speeds.

In New England, with all the hills, the weather, and the crappy roads, you can't safely drive those kinds of speeds unless you're highly skilled and your car is a performance machine. Most of us aren't that.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
As more cars come into use with safety features like lane departure warning, 360 degree radar, better engineered crash absorbing frames, curtain airbags, etc., fatalities will decrease, and higher speeds will become safer and more practical.

Traveling across Arizona and New Mexico on these long, lonely stretches of interstate, you can't practically go 55 mph. There aren't enough rest stops. As I recall from last time I was out there, the posted limit is 75, and most people were traveling 75-85. When it's fairly flat, the roads are broad and smooth, and you can see for 50 miles, these are reasonable speeds.

In New England, with all the hills, the weather, and the crappy roads, you can't safely drive those kinds of speeds unless you're highly skilled and your car is a performance machine. Most of us aren't that.
Quite true. But I don't think that Southern and Western states have done badly in raising speed limits on Interstates, though Colorado, with its 65 and under limits on Interstates in the Rocky Mountains makes me wonder. I am referring mostly to the failure of urbanized states to return to pre-energy crisis limits on most of their roads. They all now have 65 mph limits but those are mostly for show; they apply to very few roads.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:09 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:

Huh?

Certainly in Northern New England, 85 would be no issue anywhere on I-95, I-93, I-91, or I-89.

There are lots of areas in cities in southern New England where you'd need to dial back the speed limit due to the congestion. In Boston, you're not going to post the Southeast Expressway and the Big Dig tunnel at 85. Connecticut is the only state with roads so crappy and congested that it wouldn't be possible on most of the interstate highways. Even there, I-84 from the Mass Pike to Hartford would be fine and I-91 from Hartford up to Springfield would be fine. Of course, Connecticut is such a transportation failure that Amtrak trains have to slow to 35 mph. The whole state should be bulldozed into Long Island Sound.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Most speed limits are not based on safety or science.

They are based on enhancing the ability of government to generate income..
Do you seriously believe that?
Are you sure the Illuminati doesn't just dictate the speed limits?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:13 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Reminds me of an Andy Griffith episode, the one where Barney got the motorcycle..
Barney got a motorcycle in our imagination
And when he's fast he's what we class
A motorcycle sensation

Old 01-12-2016, 06:19 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I was doing mostly 70-75 mph and was flowing with, or slightly faster than, most traffic.
To stay ahead of the flashing red and blue lights, you have to go faster than the speed of light.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think people will speed no matter what the posted speed limit is.. Put it at 60 people will do 70-80 put it at 70 people will do 90-100.
You think so, but you'd be wrong. Study after study has proven that raising the speed limit doesn't impact the average speed on the road. People drive the speed they're comfortable at, not whatever arbitrary number the government posts on a sign. Studies have also shown that increasing the speed limit reduced the number of accidents. Probably because the few "I must drive the posted speed limit" people finally get up to the speed everyone else is driving, reducing the speed differential and reducing accidents.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:35 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Most speed limits are not based on safety or science.

They are based on enhancing the ability of government to generate income.

The time has come to re-examine the correlation of safety to speed.

This mantra gets beaten into people from an early age, and there for believed.

Yet, evidence indicates (based on the European models on unlimited roads) that the fatal accident rates on the Autobahn and others, are lower.

I personally find it somewhat amusing, that as a nation we have re-examined the issue of the use of recreational Marijuana, but, raising a speed limit is like spitting on the flag.
Actually, we have made progress on raising speed limits, we simply have made the least progress in the Northeast. We are back to the pre-1974 environment where it's completely up to states to set speed limits with no federal penalty.

But pre-1974, the lowest speed limits were in the Northeast as well so it makes sense that they seem the most reluctant to raise them. When they first let states simply raise it to 65 in 1987, the Northeast were the last to do so (in fact, NY was the very last state, not doing so until 1995, right before the Federal government completely reverted speed limit laws to the states). It's funny the OP mentioned I-684 because the irony is that I-84 at it's northern end is still 55 mph for some reason and it's one of the few stretches of "rural" Interstate in the US that still is.

The 80 mph limits in Texas and Utah are actually higher that many European speed limits.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The police should enforce at about 10 over the limit. If the did there were would be a revolution about the 55 limit and they would be raised.
They actually for the most part don't enforce until 10 (or even 15) over the limit. And when your ticket is close to that, usually you just show up in court months later with a million other people who got a speeding ticket and they reduce it to a "no points" violation (if it shows you have a clean or close to clean record) so they still get your fine with no other consequences to you.

In recent years, even many car insurance companies don't raise your rates for speeding tickets for less than 15 over the limit unless you get two of them in a 3 year period....

Old 01-12-2016, 06:37 PM
eok

Quote:
and you can see for 50 miles
You might sometimes be able to see the top of a tall mountain 50 miles away. But that doesn't help with safe driving. Can you see a deer or other such animal that's going to be in front of your car in 40 seconds? If you're going 90 MPH towards a deer, and you see it 5 seconds before you hit it, how fast can you stop? People are trying to sleep in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. The screech of your tires would wake them all up. And the smoke would pollute everyone's air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive