Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:34 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I did not mean ignoring low tire pressure, and I will take care of it this weekend.

There was a snow storm a few days ago, and it is inconvenient to drive around to take care of low tire pressure.

The snow storm and low temps outside are why the low tire pressure warning light came on. When temps drop, so does tire pressure. As it warms up, it'll be fine again. If you DO fill up the tires with air to make the pressure light go off, remember to recheck the tire pressures when the temps warm up outside, as they may be high at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Then that could be the reason. I may mistakenly put it on L. Never used L before.

You really need to read the owners manual

Old 01-28-2016, 07:28 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Does your car have a fake "sports" transmission mode?

My wife thinks her suv is broken everytime she accidently shifts into the the fake manual mode instead of D. It doesn't shift above 2nd gear by it self so she thinks the car is broken.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:42 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Does your car have a fake "sports" transmission mode?

My wife thinks her suv is broken everytime she accidently shifts into the the fake manual mode instead of D. It doesn't shift above 2nd gear by it self so she thinks the car is broken.
That is bizarre - sports mode should upshift automatically once the engine reaches a certain speed. I think mine is around 6500rpm, maybe she isn't hitting redline that's why it doesn't upshift. Of course it can be different from car to car, but it does seem weird to me for an automatic not to upshift automatically.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Ford Focus: I cannot speed the car more than 30 mph even if I step on gas pad hard and make a loud noice. It happened just a moment ago (7:30 pm). Maybe I was in rush and did not warm up the car, but I don't think I need to warm up the car, since it is not early morning and the temperature is around 30F.

It was a new car and I have driven more than 20k mileage. When should I change air filter? Don't know much about mechanic.

Thanks.

I had this problem with my 00 Protégé it was the hose that ran from the front of the car to the intake box. it was hard to tell you had to take the hose off to see the holes in the hose. Took me about 10 mins to replace but the car ran like it had a new engine in it.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:51 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
That is bizarre - sports mode should upshift automatically once the engine reaches a certain speed. I think mine is around 6500rpm, maybe she isn't hitting redline that's why it doesn't upshift. Of course it can be different from car to car, but it does seem weird to me for an automatic not to upshift automatically.

No, the whole point of the sports, or "manual mode" is to hold the gear until you tell it to shift. At least on most cars with that option (some have multiple sports modes, with only one being manual mode and others simply being different shift points). And of course, on basic automatics, shifting the lever past "D" holds it in whatever gear you've selected.

Amazing that in this day and age people don't understand that.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:58 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
No, the whole point of the sports, or "manual mode" is to hold the gear until you tell it to shift. At least on most cars with that option (some have multiple sports modes, with only one being manual mode and others simply being different shift points). And of course, on basic automatics, shifting the lever past "D" holds it in whatever gear you've selected.

Depends on the car, programming and transmission.

Early Infiniti G35's would force the upshift if you hit the rev limiter. In later models this programmed was changed so that it would hold the gear regardless and bang off the rev limited.

So in this situation, same car, same transmission, but two factory programming logics.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You guys know that the OP is totally confused now, right?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Like others have said, when I say "sports" mode, I mean the fake manual shifting on automatic transmissions. On certain models, it does not upshift automatically.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:41 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Depends on the car, programming and transmission.

Early Infiniti G35's would force the upshift if you hit the rev limiter. In later models this programmed was changed so that it would hold the gear regardless and bang off the rev limited.

So in this situation, same car, same transmission, but two factory programming logics.
Gotcha. Depends on the model and year I guess. Obviously Tiffer and I have not driven enough different cars to know one way or the other since he's only experienced it one way while I've only experienced it the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive