Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times

Advertisements

I'll be in the market for a 6-7 seater after my parents move closer to me. I already have a pickup that I'm relegating to "specialty" weekend duty along with my convertible, so I'm not looking to get another bland generic large vehicle. This will be my new daily driver, so good gas mileage would be a plus. Is there anything on the market that doesn't have a ton of body roll? I'm looking for something that's fun to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Tesla Model S

Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Tesla Model S
That would be nice, but I forgot to say that I am looking for a used vehicle around $20k. Up to 90k miles is fine with me.

Are 7-seat wagons more fun to drive than 7-seat SUVs? e.g. a Merc E350 wagon vs a Merc GL450

Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
That would be nice, but I forgot to say that I am looking for a used vehicle around $20k. Up to 90k miles is fine with me.

Are 7-seat wagons more fun to drive than 7-seat SUVs? e.g. a Merc E350 wagon vs a Merc GL450
Define "fun to drive". Some people find a lower center of gravity and the ability to kick the tail out fun. Some don't. What's fun for you?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Define "fun to drive". Some people find a lower center of gravity and the ability to kick the tail out fun. Some don't. What's fun for you?
Good question - "fun to drive" also depends on whether I'm transporting myself or my family. I already have a "fun to drive" vehicle that does what you describe. For this family vehicle I need adequate power (e.g. rules out the Mazda 5) and the ability to take corners quickly without excessive body roll. I don't want something with a super quiet cabin. I like the engine growl you hear when driving a Lexus GX460, for example.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Mazda5....oops just read your post

Old 05-03-2016, 10:56 AM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Oooohhh... And 7 seater? Not gonna happen.
You will need to look into Audis then. But good luck finding that in 7 seater.
And good mpg.

OK, here's a weird one for you. I am in LUVE with my Highlander Hybrid. I average 33mpg. And it's a 7 seater and AWD. I haul 10ft lumber inside if I need to.
Thing is, everyone thinks hybrids are lame slowpokes. Likely based off the first and 2nd gen Prii impression. Mine is 2012 and it actually has excellent dynamics, as you have technically a very good V6 mated with a full of torque electric motor = electric supercharger. It can be very nasty on the road if I wanted to. Also, no one suspects such agility from a family SUV.
Getting one for $20K is problematic though. But those are bullet proof cars. Reliable beyond most standards.
Thing like Cayenne will be way off your mark. Not a 7 seater, not in your price range. Fun to drive indeed.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
I would look more to an E500/E550 wagon if you want fun to drive. The E350 handles well, and power is adequate, but it does not offer thrilling performance, solid performance is a better characterization. Plus, the third seat is not always practical for use, as it's really only for children, and small children, but some get carsick sitting backwards. The GL is not a vehicle that I'd look at, not unless you want odd things going wrong with it, as it wasn't a great vehicle, not to own out of warranty, anyway. The Mercedes minivan (they never used that term, but that's what it was) R-Class would fit the bill, but it's an orphaned vehicle with no replacement and sketchy reliability issues, especially as a daily driver, although if you found one with a MB or Carmax extended warranty available, then it probably would not matter with some of the issues it poses. The Lexus LX is an absolute tank, as is the Land Cruiser, but they are not very engaging to drive, just reliable vehicles that will go through most anything, but with fuel economy to match the size/weight, and I'd recommend a Land Cruiser/LX over a used GL-Class to anyone.

For a realistic 6 or 7 seater, though, you'd probably need to look less at wagons and more at crossovers, since there's no minivan that's engaging to drive. Porsche is not large enough, although the Audi Q7 would be, but IIRC you already own an Audi crossover, so it might be nice to have something different. The MDX handles decently with Acura's SH-AWD system, better than the pilot and is a more realistic size for the passenger capacity that you want, without sacrificing economy. My SIL bought a new Pilot because she liked the way it handled, typical for a Honda, and was a better fit for her than the MDX. I'd also look at a Volvo, but you don't want the previous generation XC90, only the new, and that's well over your preferred price point, and the XC60 doesn't seat enough people. A Buick Enclave or a Suburban would not be a bad choice, but neither will be engaging to drive, more to the comfort side with the Enclave, and the Suburban is typical for a large SUV.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-03-2016, 12:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
My Suggestion:

Suggestions for 6-7 Seater that's fun to Drive-1011_4wdweb_25-2010_sema_show-jeep_wrangler_limo_left_side.jpg

Old 05-03-2016, 12:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Buy a Ford Flex equipped with the ecotec engine, beef up the suspension and you can then scare the hell out of your passengers with your need for a fun ride =
http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/trim/limited/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive