Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,207,693 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, a bunch of us would routinely swim in a creek during the summers. Had to cut through a corn field and then weave through thick nettles to get to a sand bar where the water bent around and picked up speed. There was a nice pool on the upside; however, we were all up to our necks once, having a good time, and a very large water moccasin appeared with its head sticking about 4 or 5 inches out of the water, mouth fully open as if it would strike. We exited rapidly and that was the end of the swimming in that creek. We were about 11 or 12 years old. One kid yelled, "That's a $%&#@%^! water moccasin!!" and we nearly walked on water out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 09:06 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,620,572 times
Bleaugh!!!

Now I'm scared to get in my car.

Live and let live is my motto for other creatures - as long as they stay at least 10 feet away from me. And don't get into my van and bite my ankles.

Thanks for the info about snakeaway. But even looking at the package on-line grossed me out.

More wah!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,779,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
God, do I HATE snakes ! I was sitting on the couch one day and a little snake went between my feet ! I got it out, but never figured out how it got in the house or where MAMA SNAKE was ! Didn't sleep well for a long time.

Don
Couch was warm from yer bum, so Mama was probably coiled up neatly inside the couch springs while junior went out to explore....

Old 07-22-2016, 10:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,116,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Couch was warm from yer bum, so Mama was probably coiled up neatly inside the couch springs while junior went out to explore....

oh my goodness you all are giving me the willies and I will have them for weeks .

Old 07-22-2016, 10:17 AM

8,090 posts, read 12,816,810 times
I would say it is possible. I woke up the other day and found a 3 foot king snake in my bedroom.

It is unlikely that a snake would bite you just for the heck of it. If you stepped on it it probably would.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 AM

17,335 posts, read 12,292,973 times
Just don't do a google image search of snake in car.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:47 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,862,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I found a snake skin draped around a shovel in my garage.

Now I'm paranoid that the snake could somehow get from wherever it is in the garage up into the van interior and bite my ankles while I'm driving. Aaagh!

Is there a path that a snake could take from the underside of the van into the interior? Or are the underside and other exterior entry points sealed sufficiently that that's not possible?

(It's a Dodge Caravan, if that makes a difference.)
I wouldn't worry too much about the car. It probably went inside the house instead.

And that skin? Don't worry about that either as the actual snake is probably a lot bigger now that it shed it's too tight skin and will be easier to spot before it does anything really snaky in the house. Or the car!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:54 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,308,356 times
Quote:
Bleaugh!!!

Live and let live is my motto for other creatures - as long as they stay at least 10 feet away from me. And don't get into my van and bite my ankles.

Thanks for the info about snakeaway. But even looking at the package on-line grossed me out.

More wah!
Don't worry about that. They won't be anywhere near your ankles. Probably up in the vents around the heater core. That way you can be motoring along and it will come out your dashboard.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 PM

19,084 posts, read 27,667,472 times
Quote:
Bleaugh!!!

More wah!

Spread horse tale hair inside your car and on the floor. Snakes do not cross it. Trappers used to make a lasso out of horse hair and sleep inside of the circle made out of it.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:06 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,478,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
There was a nice pool on the upside; however, we were all up to our necks once, having a good time, and a very large water moccasin appeared with its head sticking about 4 or 5 inches out of the water, mouth fully open as if it would strike. We exited rapidly and that was the end of the swimming in that creek. We were about 11 or 12 years old. One kid yelled, "That's a $%&#@%^! water moccasin!!" and we nearly walked on water out of there.
A swimming water moccasin once acted like he was going to join me in my canoe. I think I hold the world speed record for paddling backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive