Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
133% of is a completely different meaning than 133% over.

133% of 70 = 1.33 × 70 = 93.1 mph
133% over = 93.1 + 70 = 163.1 mph.
Yeah, what the Maineiac said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 12:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Good grief.... haven't enough posters explained this to you already?

The law I posted is the keep right law. NOT to keep out of oncoming traffic, but to keep to the right.

b) Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. - See more at: ALA CODE § 32-5A-80 : Alabama Code - Section 32-5A-80: DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY; EXCEPTIONS

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

So now we've addressed that (again).

As for the speed part..... yes every state has speed limit laws. I don't know of anyone who is not aware of that. HOWEVER..... there are allowances made. One of which being:

Section - 32-5A-170:

No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing.

Section 32-5A-173:

Whenever local authorities in their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that the maximum speed permitted under this article is greater or less than is reasonable and safe under the conditions found to exist upon a highway or part of a highway, the local authority may determine and declare a reasonable and safe maximum limit.

Here are the Texas laws....

Speed Limits
The maximum speed limit on most interstate and state highways in Texas is 75 miles per hour, although in some areas the speed limit may be higher because of fewer people traveling on certain roads. Speed limits on state highways can and often are set lower than the maximum and drivers should always be alert for changes in posted speed limits and driving conditions.

Observing speed limits means more than driving faster or slower than the posted speed: it means driving to conditions. When it's raining or foggy, when ice is on the road, when traffic is heavy or when road construction is ahead, adjust your speed accordingly.

Keep Right
Watch for signs on Texas multi-lane highways that read "Left Lane For Passing Only." These signs let you know that the left lane on a divided highway is not a "fast" lane; it is a passing lane.
After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.

Highway Driving

Anything else?
Yep. Since we're venturing outside of the statute itself as indicated by your link, here's some case law that had a most interesting item in it cited by the court in their opinion (appears to be a broken link now) - a TxDOT press release on the Left Lane for Passing Only signs. Note the bolded part.

" ‘The use of these signs will help ensure that vehicles travelling at the posted speed limit will not be impeded or forced to ma make excessive lane changes when encountering a slower vehicle.’ ”

Also note the conditions for a violation of that law to exist. It's not as black and white as "get the heck out of my way in the left lane!".

Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Also note the conditions for a violation of that law to exist. It's not as black and white as "get the heck out of my way in the left lane!".
The minimum speed limit on the interstates here in St. Loser is 45 mph. Someone doing 80 would have little time to react to that slow rolling obstacle in their path. Some church lady would be launched into orbit in that encounter.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Found an unbroken link to the TxDOT press release that makes it clear that both laws do, indeed, apply simultaneously. The caselaw linked above shows when and under what conditions the left lane for passing only portion can be legally applied.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:01 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Found an unbroken link to the TxDOT press release that makes it clear that both laws do, indeed, apply simultaneously. The caselaw linked above shows when and under what conditions the left lane for passing only portion can be legally applied.

They do apply. Not sure why you think I said they don't. The speed limit always applies. That doesn't mean an LEO is going to pull over 20 vehicles for slightly speeding if the flow of traffic is consistent and poses no immediate threat to the surrounding motorists. What I said is that the LEO will make a judgment call as to what is more dangerous; one vehicle attempting to bottleneck an interstate highway by travelling at a speed less than the flow of traffic (and in the wrong lane) or a smooth flow of traffic slightly above the posted speed limit.

The LEO that witnesses this event is less likely to pull over a group of 20 cars travelling at 80 mph in a smooth flow than they are to pull over the one person who is putting along at 60mph in the left lane.

Where the LEO in our area cites people is for not obeying the posted signs "Slower Traffic Keep Right". If you are also driving below the speed limit and in the left lane you can be cited for impeding traffic as per AL law, vehicles in the left lane may not be travelling less than the speed of traffic.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:26 PM

299 posts, read 557,114 times
Default Fwiw ...

I think if there's such a thing as a "trick" to slowing down when you spot a cop to avoid tickets, you've got to make sure you do it BEFORE reaching him. They're looking for your brake lights, so if you let off the brake by the time they can see the rear of your vehicle - no worries there. All in all, if you're slowing down but can't get down to the speed limit before passing the cop, you're better off letting off on the brakes as you're about to pass him and go on by at whatever speed you're at, at that point. Otherwise, it's just as you say ... They may suspect you have a radar detector, or at least by seeing your brake lights, they know you realized you were speeding and you're trying to get out of it. In general, if you pass a cop going less than 10MPH over the limit, they won't bother with you -- as they'd rather use their time pulling over someone who will generate a more costly ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or, as happened to me 20 years ago, he pulls you over because you slowed down when you saw him and he thought you had a radar detector. Which I did. And I saw him before he painted me and the detector want off.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:02 PM

The first time a cop sees you is in the radar window.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:40 AM

93 posts, read 63,312 times
Always go with the flow of traffic. If traffic is going a 100mph (not uncommon here, seriously) then I'm going a 100mph.

I have never been stopped for speeding while in traffic. I did have a cop pull up next to me once in CA and told me to drive faster as I was holding up traffic. I was doing 65 in a 55 and saw him coming up in the left lane so I was trying to be good. His partner yelled at me that I was going too slow and should speed up.

I've asked numerous friends on various police forces over the years and they all tell me the same thing. Go with the flow. It's when you are out there all by yourself speeding that they single you out.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
I think if there's such a thing as a "trick" to slowing down when you spot a cop to avoid tickets, you've got to make sure you do it BEFORE reaching him. They're looking for your brake lights, so if you let off the brake by the time they can see the rear of your vehicle - no worries there. All in all, if you're slowing down but can't get down to the speed limit before passing the cop, you're better off letting off on the brakes as you're about to pass him and go on by at whatever speed you're at, at that point. Otherwise, it's just as you say ... They may suspect you have a radar detector, or at least by seeing your brake lights, they know you realized you were speeding and you're trying to get out of it. In general, if you pass a cop going less than 10MPH over the limit, they won't bother with you -- as they'd rather use their time pulling over someone who will generate a more costly ticket.
Not necessarily. By the time you see the cop it's most likely too late. Their radar can get you from hundreds of yards away in most cases. Laser or LIDAR is becoming more common because it's vehicle specific. You could slow down all you want but once you see him, he sees you, and he's already clocked in your speed.

But what happens if the cop is coming up behind you? You can't hit your brakes. I would start with pushing down the clutch. This means that the engine is no longer driving the wheels so it'll automatically slowing down the vehicle. Now drop down to 4th gear and lift the clutch slowly.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
As long as they are staying in the middle or right lane I agree that following the flow of traffic is the safest while keeping a safe following distance.

People just don't get this. You want to drive the speed limit or slower, get in the right lane. Other than that, go with the flow. It keeps cars from catching up to slower cars, then changing lanes, then slowing the faster people down...etc. And consistency , why can't people figure that out ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive