Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:30 AM

990 posts, read 2,558,600 times

Advertisements

An amusing observation.....

People who don't know how to operate a manual will all tell you how horrible they are.

Those of us who like them, seek them out and would not switch ,"for all the tea in China".

I just bought a new B.M.W., because Mercedes no longer offers manuals (in the U.S. market).

I have a definite fondness for high end vehicle with manual transmissions.

BTW, concerning driving in traffic.... I live in the New York City area.

Traffic is a constant. every hour, of every day, virtually everywhere you go.

Never a problem.

Concerning clutch wear....

I replaced exactly ONE clutch in my life.

I was 17 and driving a 1969 Mustang with over 150,000 mile on it.

A friend and myself, put it in and "drove the wheels off that car" , with never another transmission problem.

If you know how to drive the manual, the clutches and transmission are virtually "bullet proof".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 09:37 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
Because it's manly and when you take a girl for a ride she's amazed at the skill of stick shift.
Only in your dreams. Women could care less about your shifting skills.

However, knowing how to drive a stick shift is a valuable life skill. Maybe it would be worth it to you to pay a driving school to teach you. If you are already a competent driver, you should be able to learn how to drive a stick in 1-2 lessons.

Stick shift is valuable if you tow a trailer (if you can even still get a pickup with a stick shift) and if you vacation in Europe, there are countries where you can not rent an automatic.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
I taught my daughter to drive a manual in one afternoon....Go for it...

Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Other than YouTube tutorials I have nothing. I'd have to have the owner of the car park it in some quiet residential neighborhood a few blocks from my house because my house has too many cars come every second,so learning to drive stick in the streets near me wouldn't work.
If you buy a car, YOU'RE the owner! It's up to you to move the vehicle not the seller. Why on earth would a seller drive the car you buy to your house so you can learn how to drive? Don't buy a stick shift unless you know how to drive one or have someone who can actually teach you. This has DISASTER written all over it!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:20 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You need to think a little harder about this. I think everyone should be able to drive a manual trans.
Someday you or your daughter may be in trouble and the escape vehicle they have access to is a stick.
Yeah, the 1% or so in the country will be the one they'd no doubt find.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Because it's manly and when you take a girl for a ride she's amazed at the skill of stick shift.
You watch too much tv. Girls are NOT impressed by a stick shift. They tend to be impressed by people who don't act like idiots and showoffs. And if you can't drive it, you'll look like a moron.....every girl's dream!

Manly? I'll be sure to let my VERY girly sister know! She had her vehicle made overseas. It took 4 months to come to the USA. Her vehicle is practically worthless here because they only make a handful of manual transmissions a year.....well now the vehicle has been discontinued so it's worth about as much as a tin can. Apparently, Americans weren't really into hamster vehicles.

Want to be manly? Go bale some hay. You'd last 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
An amusing observation.....

People who don't know how to operate a manual will all tell you how horrible they are.

Those of us who like them, seek them out and would not switch ,"for all the tea in China".

If you know how to drive the manual, the clutches and transmission are virtually "bullet proof".
I know how to drive a stick. For many people, they are a horrible option. Most people can barely drive as it is. Asking them to shift, use a clutch....all at the same time?! Total brain meltdown.

Tell my husband how bullet proof a clutch and transmission is. Two words: Eagle Talon. Two clutches in 5 years.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
Quote:
Seriously?? what are you 12 years old???

Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nope. I'm a girl. Just plain...nope.
Question: Would you think less of a guy if you can drive stick and he can't?

Old 08-27-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Question: Would you think less of a guy if you can drive stick and he can't?
Nope. I care if he is a safe driver or not. If he drives like a jack off, then either I drive everywhere which gets old or I'd find a new guy.....Option B is the winner 99% of the time...why? If a guy has to drive like a jack off, chances are VERY high he's a butthead about many things in life. No one has time for that nonsense.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:

Really? I've never had a woman be amazed at the way I drove a stick shift. They were more interested in that other stick shift. And if you want to impress a woman, take her flying. They'll be much more impressed with that. As a pilot, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive