Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:04 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Can you not go to a different dealer?

A case should have been open with Nissan corporate when the local dealer couldn't handle the situation. It's still not too late to do so. Definitely file with corporate consumer affairs and get a case open up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:23 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
They need to replace the whole damn car in my opinion. Ludicrous.
Lol, no they don't. The time to switch cars went out the window once he signed papers and willingly drove off the lot with the incomplete car. Unless Nissan wants to buy the car back and get him a new one he just has to go through this unfortunate process.

Either let them replace it or do without the radio. That's just the way cars are built these days.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
The most important thing is to ask for some compensation (accessories, service) for the inconvenience they are causing you. Have them replace the entire unit and inspect the car carefully and only accept it to your satisfaction.

I had to have Infiniti replace my entire windshield a few weeks after bough it brand new not too long ago. I didn't notice a scratch on the lower side on the windshield until I wash my car for the first time. By that time, they were not going to replace my car so corporate office agreed to replace the entire windshield.
This is probably a little extreme. Who would expect a whole car to be replaced over a single service issue.

Quote:
A case should have been open with Nissan corporate when the local dealer couldn't handle the situation. It's still not too late to do so. Definitely file with corporate consumer affairs and get a case open up.

Why do they need to open a case? The dealership is working with them. You only need to go to corporate if you are not getting what you ask for with the dealer. Also, asking to be compensated is just silly in my opinion. I am pretty sure that nowhere in the warranty info does it say "if we have to try more than once to fix an issue we'll provide you X". It's not out of the realm of possibility that luxury brands offer that but as a rule people dont automatically deserve compensation.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:54 AM

306 posts, read 365,307 times
It's sheer incompetence on the dealer's part. There's no way that replacing the whole radio/unit is the only way to fix the issue. I'd tell them to figure out how to get the SD card working on another car in the lot first, then you'll bring your car in.

BTW, I'm with your friend when it comes to swapping out something like the radio. It's rare that things are put back together as good as they were from the factory. This should be the last option. Sure, they'll fix the issue if you actually notice and make them, but who wants to spend more time at the dealer? Even with a loaner it's a hassle.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brons7 View Post

Now here comes the question (finally). I am now told that they need to replace my entire radio which in this car is a good size block of electronics (the GPS, CD Player, the screen, etc.) in the dash. My friends tell me I am crazy if I let them do that to a new car because it will never be the same and it might create rattling noise, etc. I am trying to be positive about it and feel like I should let them replace it and get this over with. So what would you guys do? I am not even sure if I have any other options other than asking for another car by which I will probably get laughed at. Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the long message.
I wouldn't listen to your friend. If it starts to creak and rattle, warranty repair. But I don't think it will be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Can you not go to a different dealer?
I think the issue would be that the dealer would tell him to pay for a new sd card, since its supposed to come with the car. It would be like if you pulled in with no windshield wipers and told the dealers you wanted new ones under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
It's sheer incompetence on the dealer's part. There's no way that replacing the whole radio/unit is the only way to fix the issue. I'd tell them to figure out how to get the SD card working on another car in the lot first, then you'll bring your car in.

BTW, I'm with your friend when it comes to swapping out something like the radio. It's rare that things are put back together as good as they were from the factory. This should be the last option. Sure, they'll fix the issue if you actually notice and make them, but who wants to spend more time at the dealer? Even with a loaner it's a hassle.
The dealer is really just trying to stop screwing around at this point. They've tried twice to fix the car without replacing the radio, and now they are going to for sure fix it. By putting in a new radio.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post

You must have missed the part where he explained how each radio and each card is tied to each vehicle. They aren't going to disable another perfectly good unit to "figure it out" when for 1. That won't teach them anything 2. It would mean another car down that they can't sell. The only option is to get the factory to clone a radio that will work with his specific car.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:29 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Replacing a head unit is not a big deal at all. If they had to rip out the whole system speakers and all the trim panels that would need to be removed to do that there might be concern about rattles and such but not just the head unit.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:30 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
This is probably a little extreme. Who would expect a whole car to be replaced over a single service issue.

Why do they need to open a case? The dealership is working with them. You only need to go to corporate if you are not getting what you ask for with the dealer. Also, asking to be compensated is just silly in my opinion. I am pretty sure that nowhere in the warranty info does it say "if we have to try more than once to fix an issue we'll provide you X". It's not out of the realm of possibility that luxury brands offer that but as a rule people dont automatically deserve compensation.

It isn't an issue with service. It's about getting a defective product.

If a dealership wants you as a customer, they will compensate a customer for inconvenience. My wife took the vehicle in for oil change service along with fixing a slow leak (same dealer where we got the vehicle) She waited 2 hours for the service and when finally got the car back, they realized that someone forgot about the slow leak. The total service ended up being free. Why, would they want use to come back or just go elsewhere?

Old 09-09-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
It isn't an issue with service. It's about getting a defective product.

If a dealership wants you as a customer, they will compensate a customer for inconvenience. My wife took the vehicle in for oil change service along with fixing a slow leak (same dealer where we got the vehicle) She waited 2 hours for the service and when finally got the car back, they realized that someone forgot about the slow leak. The total service ended up being free. Why, would they want use to come back or just go elsewhere?
No, your wife experienced bad service. This dealer got an incomplete/defective car from the factory, they didn't build it. They are not going to give him a "free car" because of that, they will fix it. If Nissan wants to give the dealer a free car to give to the customer for free, then that is something they might consider. But there are far more steps involved in that then somebody getting a service ticket comped.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:00 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Never listen to friends on certain things - this being one of them...Parts are replaced on vehicles ALL the time with no problems.... I would let them replace the stereo and whatever else they needed to.. It is all under warranty the same as everything else..... They actually should have done this from the get go when they couldn't get it figured out... This is one of the reasons I really hate new cars..So much electronic stuff you get weird scenarios like this....
IF you have never driven the car and it is brand new, I would just ask for a replacement car with the same equipment. A Maxima is a nice car but it's not like a special order or a one off. They should easily be able to find something else with no issues.

If they say no say why not and don't be shy. Depending on your state there may be consumer protection laws that would force them to give you your money back and they have an obligation to deliver you a working car. Having said that I don't think replacing the radio should have any effect on the future reliability of the car. My point would be you don't expect QA issues - especially something so often used as the radio, on a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive